2023-2024 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: 2023-2024 lineup

Post by AlOerter »

KJ - athletic freak, tough as nails. Kevin - versatile, understands the game.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was kinda hoping he'd say Dajuan.

but yea, KJ and Kevin seem like the most poised to turn a corner
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Doesn't it seem like Dajuan has kind of reached his ceiling? Don't get me wrong, he's the key to our offense which always seems to struggle when he's not on the floor. But I don't see where he can elevate his game any further unless it would be scoring.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

AlOerter wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:55 pm Doesn't it seem like Dajuan has kind of reached his ceiling? Don't get me wrong, he's the key to our offense which always seems to struggle when he's not on the floor. But I don't see where he can elevate his game any further unless it would be scoring.
Making bunnies and floaters more consistently.
Keeping his 3% while increasing attempts.
Letting the last play go (his turnovers certainly aren't often, but they often come in pairs).

In that order.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Hunter's value is mostly on offense though he is a decent rim protector. Foot quickness is the main issue with his pick and roll defense. He is crafty enough to overcome that offensively. Defensively he may be a liability but everyone has a weakness in their game. I am confident he's been made aware and is working hard on it. He's had a history of improving his game.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Self also values team defense and help, so i’m not all that worried about HD’s prowess on that end of the floor…particularly when there’s defensive studs around him
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

AlOerter wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:55 pm Doesn't it seem like Dajuan has kind of reached his ceiling? Don't get me wrong, he's the key to our offense which always seems to struggle when he's not on the floor. But I don't see where he can elevate his game any further unless it would be scoring.
I was going to say exactly this. His shooting can get better. But a guy with limited athletic tools can only go so far
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, that’s why I said I kinda hoped Self would say Dajuan. Maybe he could turn some unexpected corner, rather than be that limited ceiling kinda guy.

Of course, that’s all moot, once we get to crunch time in the 2024 national championship, and Self hands the Ferrari keys to Elmarko.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:47 am Self also values team defense and help, so i’m not all that worried about HD’s prowess on that end of the floor…particularly when there’s defensive studs around him
Yeah... but I feel like the center is the most important part of that team defense. The other four switch screens, but the big needs to be able to ice and then get back quick. A guard needs to drop down until he gets there. At that point you end up with a wide open corner three if the offense finds it. His slow recovery means that corner three is open longer.

His rim protection in terms of blocks per minute is also not that good, especially for a 7'1" guy.

I get it, his offense is worth it.

But sometimes I question that. If this team had Udeh instead, that's the best defensive team I've ever seen. But they'd have trouble scoring in half court offense. I don't know... guess the half court offense is more important.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

I do think there will be a few times this season in which a team is really effectively taking advantage of that pick and roll breakdown and Self will bench Hunter and put KJ at the 5.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:47 am I do think there will be a few times this season in which a team is really effectively taking advantage of that pick and roll breakdown and Self will bench Hunter and put KJ at the 5.
absolutely

and it may happen more often than we’d think
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Every team has its weaknesses. Coach's job is to cover up or minimize the weaknesses and exploit the strengths. Teams will try to to take advantage and we will try to counter. Bill is a pretty good chess player when it comes to in game adjustments.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:47 am I do think there will be a few times this season in which a team is really effectively taking advantage of that pick and roll breakdown and Self will bench Hunter and put KJ at the 5.
Just part of the in-game adjustments that Self excels at. That's the beauty of having options as to how you can play. You're better able to neutralize what your opponent can do successfully against certain players on your team.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

"We've got 10 and 10 is plenty," Self said. "One probably will redshirt, so we've got nine. I'm not going to play nine a lot of minutes anyway, you guys know that. The practice stuff is fine from a depth standpoint because we've got enough walk ons and we've got some good walk ons. So that doesn't really bother me. What would bother me would be injuries. And I don't know how you prepare for that now. I'm not really into load management at this juncture of the season. So what we could do is, is be open to bringing in somebody at Christmas. You could do that and then you could add some depth on the perimeter and it could eliminate some of that if that's an option, which right now we're certainly looking at that."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Midseason trades rule.
What do we have to send in return?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The issue is of course injuries.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

2024 NBA Mock Draft: Top 60 Prospect Projections

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... s.amp.html

7. Utah Jazz: Elmarko Jackson (Kansas, PG/SG, Freshman)

Elmarko Jackson suddenly has a clearer path to minutes and the 2024 draft following Kansas' dismissal of Arterio Morris. Regardless, scouts would have quickly detected and been drawn to his effortless explosion, creative handle and shot-making.

Alongside Dajuan Harris Jr., Jackson figures to play more of a combo or scoring role, which may limit the playmaking that he's improved over the past year. But his ability to create advantages with his quick-twitch dribble moves should be evident. Playing off the ball some should also illuminate his spot-up shooting and play-finishing as a cutter.

Jackson's high school tape shows room for him to improve his pull-up game and adjustments at the rim. Neither should set off alarms, however. Jackson should ease concerns over his final percentages with a persuasive mix of three-level shot-making and above-the-rim leaping.

To maximize his draft stock, the freshman will have to convince scouts that he can eventually play point guard, and he'll have to do so while sharing the ball in a veteran rotation.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

HD preseason conference POY
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Juan preseason first team all big xii