Da Weed Thread

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Da Weed Thread

Post by Shirley »

Contaminant found in vaping products linked to deadly lung illnesses, state and federal labs show

State and federal health officials investigating mysterious lung illnesses linked to vaping have found the same chemical in samples of marijuana products used by people sickened in different parts of the country and who used different brands of products in recent weeks.

The chemical is an oil derived from vitamin E. Investigators at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found the oil in cannabis products in samples collected from patients who fell ill across the United States. FDA officials shared that information with state health officials during a telephone briefing this week, according to several officials who took part in the call.

That same chemical was also found in nearly all cannabis samples from patients who fell ill in New York in recent weeks, a state health department spokeswoman said.

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

And this is why we stay away from oils and waxes and anything else that is not the pure sacred herb Jah created for us to enjoy in it's unadulterated natural (albeit genetically enhanced) state. We don't need all of those used up cartridges going into landfills.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

I live in a city where in terms of laws and rules and taxes and etc., ........ Everything is half assed or double assed and little in-between. Why would the legalization of marijuana be any different?
Our current Mayor doesn't know if she's coming or going when it comes to the legalization of "recreational" weed in the state of Illinois.
Too many articles/links to post on here so if people care to know what I am talking about I'll just suggest people Google/Search - lori lightfoot marijuana and read about it.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

My suburb voted to keep it illegal and, infuriatingly, asked the people to attend the neighboring suburb's townhalls to try to get them to do the same.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

my community has more dispensaries than Starbuckses LOL
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

One little community I have property in decided not to allow it in the city limits. A recreational dispensary opened up 6 months ago just outside of town in the County. When I stopped int here a couple of weeks ago they were doing a booming business. They are also on the County line of a larger County that doesn't allow recreational in the County. Guess what small town is having a vote to consider allowing recreational weed and it's associated sales tax revenue in town now? I may stop by the weed shop and let them know I will have some retail space available in town soon if they are interested.

I remember when Pagosa Springs CO decided they weren't going to allow recreational sales in town. It was matter of conscience and morals and protect the kids, blah, blah, blah. After two years they changed their minds during the depths of the recession. About three months after the the first dispensary opened there was an article in the local newspaper saying that historically sales tax revenues were in the range of $200,000 to $300,000 per month for the town. But surprise surprise the sales tax revenues for the last three months was consistently over $400,000 per month. If this continues the town was going to be able to update their budget forecasts and there may be some projects on the civic "to do" list might now be funded. The newspaper made no mention of why the revenues increased, didn't have to. I remember sitting in the parking lot of the dispensary during this early period. We checked the license plates and they were mostly Texas and Oklahoma and New Mexico. A woman who looked to be in her early 40's walked out of the place with a friend grinning ear to ear holding her bag of goodies. She got in the car and opened the bag and she and her friend looked like a couple of kids on Halloween going through their haul. She saw me watching her and a gave me a huge smile and a thumbs up. I reciprocated and went on about my business.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Tests show bootleg marijuana vapes tainted with hydrogen cyanide

NBC News commissioned laboratory tests of knock-off marijuana vapes that found a pesticide linked to hydrogen cyanide in 10 out 10 products.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh!

Did we discuss that nba player who took edibles and freaked out on the team plane?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

My biggest complaint about weed is, like CBD, there has been very little research done on it. Unlike pharmaceuticals, we still don't know a lot about the long-term effects of weed. Your local bud-tender can walk you through how wonderful the experience is going to be, but it's still just a guess about a product that they desperately want to push on the public.

And while most people believe it's not a gateway drug, they aren't taking into consideration the genetic makeup of the user. If you have an addictive personality to go along with your anxiety and depression, you can absolutely get addicted to weed. And it absolutely leads to other drugs. And there's some really nasty shit out there right now - like "bars."

Apologies for harshing the mellow on here.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Huh. Maybe Dean Cain was right for once.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:23 pm My biggest complaint about weed is, like CBD, there has been very little research done on it. Unlike pharmaceuticals, we still don't know a lot about the long-term effects of weed. Your local bud-tender can walk you through how wonderful the experience is going to be, but it's still just a guess about a product that they desperately want to push on the public.

And while most people believe it's not a gateway drug, they aren't taking into consideration the genetic makeup of the user. If you have an addictive personality to go along with your anxiety and depression, you can absolutely get addicted to weed. And it absolutely leads to other drugs. And there's some really nasty shit out there right now - like "bars."

Dude, that is not harsh, but it sounds ill informed.

So much to unravel here, the research into cannabis has been ongoing for over 60 years. It is accelerating now, but it has been going on for years. The problem with comparing long term studies on pharmaceuticals with something that until recently has been illegal is of course, it was illegal, so they couldn't do serious long term studies. And many pharmaceuticals get released to the public and we don't know all the long term effects until after they are in the marketplace...fentanyl. The characterization of bud tenders who "desperately want to push on the public" is laughable. Name me a product being sold to consumers that is not "pushed" on consumers, it's called marketing and sales, not "pushing". My bud tender doesn't push shit on me, I walk in the store and occasionally ask about a product. Rarely do they try to sell me anything, I know what I came in there for. Blue dream....oh, you're out, OK, what about Alaska Thunder Fuck?

Read your thoughts on "gateway" drug again. Taking into consideration the genetic makeup of of the user and an addictive personality, the first substance they ingest that changes their mental state; skittles, chocolate, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, opioids, THC; is a "gateway" drug. Anything is a "gateway" drug for those individuals. Those individuals are addictive personalities, but drugs are not the "gateway" to the addiction. An addictive personality is the gateway to addiction. Those individuals go through many substances looking for their perfect fix and almost anything could be the substance that starts them down that path.

If you or someone in your life have had a bad experience with substance abuse, I get it. If you want to give people your cautionary tale, I'm good with that. If you spread disinformation, I might harsh on that.

Now; back to da weed thread....the constituents who currently inhabit the Empire voted last week, and we will now allow recreational sales in town! So I will be making a visit to the local, but out in the County sticks, dispensary to ask them if they are interested in renting a space in town. If everything works out, I will have a liquor store next door on the north, a dispensary next door on the south, a coffee shop across the street and a grocery with ribeyes two doors north of me. When I look at real estate, one of the websites I check is Zillow to see what my "walk score" is for the property. I think I might now score a perfect 100. Even when I am using a walker I will be able to walk to everything.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

japhy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 pm
chiknbut wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:23 pm My biggest complaint about weed is, like CBD, there has been very little research done on it. Unlike pharmaceuticals, we still don't know a lot about the long-term effects of weed. Your local bud-tender can walk you through how wonderful the experience is going to be, but it's still just a guess about a product that they desperately want to push on the public.

Dude, that is not harsh, but it sounds ill informed.

So much to unravel here, the research into cannabis has been ongoing for over 60 years. It is accelerating now, but it has been going on for years. The problem with comparing long term studies on pharmaceuticals with something that until recently has been illegal is of course, it was illegal, so they couldn't do serious long term studies. And many pharmaceuticals get released to the public and we don't know all the long term effects until after they are in the marketplace...fentanyl. The characterization of bud tenders who "desperately want to push on the public" is laughable. Name me a product being sold to consumers that is not "pushed" on consumers, it's called marketing and sales, not "pushing". My bud tender doesn't push shit on me, I walk in the store and occasionally ask about a product. Rarely do they try to sell me anything, I know what I came in there for. Blue dream....oh, you're out, OK, what about Alaska Thunder Fuck?

Read your thoughts on "gateway" drug again. Taking into consideration the genetic makeup of of the user and an addictive personality, the first substance they ingest that changes their mental state; skittles, chocolate, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, opioids, THC; is a "gateway" drug. Anything is a "gateway" drug for those individuals. Those individuals are addictive personalities, but drugs are not the "gateway" to the addiction. An addictive personality is the gateway to addiction. Those individuals go through many substances looking for their perfect fix and almost anything could be the substance that starts them down that path.

If you or someone in your life have had a bad experience with substance abuse, I get it. If you want to give people your cautionary tale, I'm good with that. If you spread disinformation, I might harsh on that.

Now; back to da weed thread....the constituents who currently inhabit the Empire voted last week, and we will now allow recreational sales in town! So I will be making a visit to the local, but out in the County sticks, dispensary to ask them if they are interested in renting a space in town. If everything works out, I will have a liquor store next door on the north, a dispensary next door on the south, a coffee shop across the street and a grocery with ribeyes two doors north of me. When I look at real estate, one of the websites I check is Zillow to see what my "walk score" is for the property. I think I might now score a perfect 100. Even when I am using a walker I will be able to walk to everything.
Amen.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Just wanted to share my "weed story":

My 24 year old Autistic son has a severe seizure disorder; a couple years ago I started giving him CBD oil that had just a tad bit of THC in it, his neurologist, while not able to necessarily recommend it, told me that it took a small amount of THC to be effective for seizure control...the results were miraculous; my son went from having seizures on a semi-regular basis to being seizure-free for over a year...since then Kansas has outlawed all substances with any amount amount of THC, even if it was just trace amounts that wouldn't even show up in your average UA. Thankfully, Oklahoma passed the bill to legalize medical marijuana and I have several family members who live in and around Tulsa...so I now order the CBD oil with slight amounts of THC and have it delivered to my family member's home and they turn around and mail it to me. This CBD oil has allowed us to start weening my son off of some of his seizure meds that potentially could have caused more harm than good with long term usage. I really don't know where we'd be without this stuff...it's improved my son's life 10-fold and just for families with simular stories alone is reason enough for Kansas and the rest of the country to at least legalize medical marijuana.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Glad to hear that, infinite. I’m rooting for you all
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Trustee wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:53 pm Glad to hear that, infinite. I’m rooting for you all
Thanks, bro.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Contact your representative and explain your experience.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 pm
Trustee wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:53 pm Glad to hear that, infinite. I’m rooting for you all
Thanks, bro.
That's great to hear Infinite. It has to be a huge relief, and increase the quality of life of everyone concerned.

All medicines are poisons with desirable side effects. Finding the right reward/risk balance is key. And when it comes to the potential downside of many of the seizure medications vs. CBD oil with a hint of THC, if they're equally efficacious, I'd take the CBD oil hands down.
Anand Giridharadas
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Feral wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:02 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 pm
Thanks, bro.
That's great to hear Infinite. It has to be a huge relief, and increase the quality of life of everyone concerned.

All medicines are poisons with desirable side effects. Finding the right reward/risk balance is key. And when it comes to the potential downside of many of the seizure medications vs. CBD oil with a hint of THC, if they're equally efficacious, I'd take the CBD oil hands down.
This was sort of my point with my last post. I'm not saying I'm against legalized weed, but I still don't think we really understand the potential long-term problems associated with it. Maybe I'm dead wrong. But weed is very different nowadays from the weed that may have been "studied" back in the 50s', 60s, 70s and 80s. Who knows, maybe it's better and less of a concern nowadays.

And yes, an addictive personality is going to seek to feed the addiction, be it Skittles or Xanax. I think that goes without saying.

I have had a very, very bad experience with drugs. So maybe I'm a little bit over-cautious about it all, including weed. I'm also a bit wary of it becoming legal here in Chicago. To me it seems the focus has been more about the potential economic cure-all weed presents to a large city that has historically been irresponsible in its spending and less about the potential negative effect it may have on young, developing brains.

And Dean Cain can go fuck himself!