Contributor

Re: I believe her

Post by jhawks99 »

Who now?
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

During the winter of her freshman year, a drunken dormitory party unsettled her deeply. She and some classmates had been drinking heavily when, she says, a freshman named Brett Kavanaugh pulled down his pants and thrust his penis at her, prompting her to swat it away and inadvertently touch it...

At least seven people, including Ms. Ramirez’s mother, heard about the Yale incident long before Mr. Kavanaugh was a federal judge. Two of those people were classmates who learned of it just days after the party occurred, suggesting that it was discussed among students at the time.

We also uncovered a previously unreported story about Mr. Kavanaugh in his freshman year that echoes Ms. Ramirez’s allegation. A classmate, Max Stier, saw Mr. Kavanaugh with his pants down at a different drunken dorm party, where friends pushed his penis into the hand of a female student. Mr. Stier, who runs a nonprofit organization in Washington, notified senators and the F.B.I. about this account, but the F.B.I. did not investigate and Mr. Stier has declined to discuss it publicly. (We corroborated the story with two officials who have communicated with Mr. Stier.)

Ms. Ramirez’s legal team gave the F.B.I. a list of at least 25 individuals who may have had corroborating evidence. But the bureau — in its supplemental background investigation — interviewed none of them, though we learned many of these potential witnesses tried in vain to reach the F.B.I. on their own.

Two F.B.I. agents interviewed Ms. Ramirez, telling her that they found her “credible.” But the Republican-controlled Senate had imposed strict limits on the investigation. “‘We have to wait to get authorization to do anything else,’” Bill Pittard, one of Ms. Ramirez’s lawyers, recalled the agents saying. “It was almost a little apologetic.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/14/sund ... -yale.html
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Elections have consequences.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Geezer wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:42 pm Elections have consequences.
Yes, and the consequence should be that no one who even thought about voting to confirm should never be elected to any public office. Can happen in at least a few cases (Collins, Gardner, McSally)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sigh...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

One part I don’t get -
In an apparent effort to justify its handling of the investigation, the FBI said it was conducting a background check rather than a criminal investigation, which meant that “the authorities, policies, and procedures used to investigate criminal matters did not apply,” according to the letter.
OK. So how does not being bound by criminal procedure make a background check less thorough?

It’s not like background checks are subject to a statute of limitations, or a bunch of elements that need to be satisfied
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo Olympic gymnasts on Capitol Hill testifying against Larry Nassar, and also throwing the FBI under the bus for knowing the allegations but not doing shit about it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 am sooo Olympic gymnasts on Capitol Hill testifying against Larry Nassar, and also throwing the FBI under the bus for knowing the allegations but not doing shit about it
That was brutal to watch. Feel terrible for all the gymnasts involved. Sounds like multiple entities protected him.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

I shouldn’t have just said the fbi.

They threw the whole system under the bus.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »