I believe her

Ugh.
HouseDivided

Re: I believe her

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 pm They sure do.
The key is, make it as difficult as possible to cast that vote.

Did you learn nothing from Karl Rove?
Sigh.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Look at a composite picture of the Repub members of Congress.
Look at a picture of the White House staff.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

So, is this going to be the new cause celebre moving forward? Desperation, thy name is Leftist.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

HouseDivided wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:29 pm
Mjl wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:25 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:21 pm

It forces candidates to be accountable to the so-called “flyover states” in order to be elected. Without the Electoral College, candidates would pander to New York, California, Texas, and Florida and tell the rest of us to screw off.
Then wouldn't they do that to minorities now? Every voting block is critical, even if it's based more evenly on population.
How are minorities unrepresented?
That's the point. You're saying if they got rid of the EC that flyover folks would be unrepresented because they're the minority.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Mjl wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:04 pm
Mjl wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Then wouldn't they do that to minorities now? Every voting block is critical, even if it's based more evenly on population.
That's the point. You're saying if they got rid of the EC that flyover folks would be unrepresented because they're the minority.
I’m talking about geographic minorities; you’re (intentionally) conflating that with ethnic minorities.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

with all the gerrymandering, it’s awful difficult to tease apart any flavors of minority
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:29 am

I’m talking about geographic minorities; you’re (intentionally) conflating that with ethnic minorities.
How is it different? The point is that politicians aren't only going to pay attention to the large population centers because they care abput any significant voting block, no matter how it is sliced.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mjl wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:58 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:06 pm The whole point of the Senate is to fuck up democracy.

Electoral College too.

That's the WHOLE POINT.

Repeal the 17th!
Why? Why is that a good thing to give more power to smaller states? Why do we need both the senate and electoral college to do this? Wouldn't it seem better to only have one that is skewed?
The people -- as you may or may not have seen over the last...oh, say two years -- are crazy, as mobs tend to be. Both institutions were designed to place a check on the people and on the federal government. The problem isn't that there are checks on power in the Constitution; the problem is that the people demand that the federal government be omnipotent and thus they resent the checks.

The accumulation of centralized power is a recipe for tyranny. And while the old Progressives did their best to destroy the protections against such accumulation, these two institutions remain, largely as the only bulwarks against aggressive centralized power.

Shorter version: Wyoming and California have almost nothing in common. Why should the latter have the ability to impose its desires on the former?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 pm Look at a composite picture of the Repub members of Congress.
Look at a picture of the White House staff.
What a stupid argument.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mjl wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:23 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:04 pm The Electoral College was created for two reasons. The first purpose was to create a buffer between population and the selection of a President...The founding fathers were afraid of direct election to the Presidency. They feared a tyrant could manipulate public opinion and come to power.

(Nmw)
I get that. It's outdated.
It's only outdated because you want excessive centralized power. If the federal government would mind its own damn business, the states wouldn't need protection. As it is, the federal government has too much power already.

One would think, given that a Republican is in the White House and thus in (nominal) control of the massive levers of power, that you would understand why overly centralized government is dangerous.

Or do you think that ICE should have the power to violate the protections of sanctuary cities and arrest anyone it chooses? Or that DEA should be busting up Colorado's marijuana industry?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:08 am
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:29 am

How is it different? The point is that politicians aren't only going to pay attention to the large population centers because they care abput any significant voting block, no matter how it is sliced.
Wrong.

How many trips did Hillary Clinton make to Wisconsin or Michigan?
Deleted User 89

not as many as she should have?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 am not as many as she should have?
Bingo! And why did that end up hurting her?
Deleted User 89

i'm more of the opinion that so many thought the outcome was a foregone conclusion and just didn't vote
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 pm i'm more of the opinion that so many thought the outcome was a foregone conclusion and just didn't vote
Most people I know weren't big Trump fans, but they were terrified that Dowdy would win, so they went out of their way to vote for Trump and drove all of their friends with them. Some things are an abomination and must be prevented at all costs.
Deleted User 89

and yet, he's our president

the lesser of two evils is still evil
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 pm and yet, he's our president

the lesser of two evils is still evil
All of us are evil. I have yet to meet a perfect human being.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

. . . ahem
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

defixione wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:50 pm. . . ahem
Sorry, except for defixione.