Civility in politics

Ugh.
Geezer

Re: Civility in politics

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jesus...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh!

so my family was in town over the weekend. It stayed pretty mellow, until the last morning at breakfast, before they all took off.

I don't even know who brought it up, but my California little bro I think said something about how he wants to move to a swing state, where he could feel like a bigger part of what he described as a coming blue wave in future election cycles.

My Michigan dad then countered with how he thinks the Democratic party is gonna be toast if they can't distance themselves from such divisive politics. We ask him what he means, and he replies, "ELIZABETH WARREN, NANCY PELOSI, KAMALA HARRIS!"

I ask if there's something specific about their rhetoric or policies that he thinks is divisive. My brother asks if he's rather just uncomfortable with the idea of women in power. My dad says to stop being so divisive. My brother then asks him how he rationalizes the perceived bigotry of the Republican party, and asks if he'll condemn it.

My dad then goes into a rant about voter fraud, and how he's opposed to same day registration cuz it makes it too easy for illegitimate voters to be shuttled from poll to poll by the busload; and for voters to walk out of the poll, go outside and put on a different hat and glasses, and come back in to vote again.

(This is when I wanted to ask 1. if there were any examples of such voter fraud actually occurring, and 2. what an acceptable tradeoff would be between efforts to reduce voter fraud if the efforts may also have the effect of voter suppression, but,) my mom then fired up her smart phone and started showing my brother libtard memes from Facebook.

anywho, fam, so how's the biscuits and gravy?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Dolomite/imzcount is ousdahl's dad?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Feral wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm Dolomite/imzcount is ousdahl's dad?
Just read my sig
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan