Coherent Policy?

Ugh.
RussianHawk

Coherent Policy?

Post by RussianHawk »

So we are about two years in to the Trump Administration and a new board so I thought I would throw this out there --- Does the U.S. have any coherent polices domestic or foreign yet? I fail to see any. Abdicating 4 if not 8 years of leadership has to be worrying to all involved -- Right?
dolomite
Contributor

Re: Coherent Policy?

Post by dolomite »

RussianHawk wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:51 pm So we are about two years in to the Trump Administration and a new board so I thought I would throw this out there --- Does the U.S. have any coherent polices domestic or foreign yet? I fail to see any. Abdicating 4 if not 8 years of leadership has to be worrying to all involved -- Right?
I found this article interesting; https://www.thenation.com/article/mista ... -strategy/

“Nobody knows when Trump is doing international diplomacy and when he is doing election campaigning in Montana,” commented Danish defense minister Claus Hjort Frederiksen following the summit. “It is difficult to decode what policy the American president is promoting. There is a complete unpredictability in this.”...

While that reaction may be typical, it’s a mistake to assume that Trump lacks a coherent foreign-policy blueprint...

As his recent assaults on NATO and his embrace of the Russian president suggest, he is visibly seeking to create the very tripolar world once envisioned by Boris Yeltsin and Jiang Zemin and zealously promoted by Vladimir Putin ever since he assumed office...

“I am proposing a new foreign policy focused on advancing America’s core national interests, promoting regional stability, and producing an easing of tensions in the world,” he declared in a September 2016 speech in Philadelphia. From that speech and other campaign statements, you can get a pretty good idea of his mindset.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

Interesting for sure... Unfortunately like most attempts to identify a "Trump Doctrine" I think it has failed as time has gone on. Also of note the tripolar world envisioned by Yeltsin was nothing that is being promoted today from 1600.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

What was the Clinton doctrine -- at home or abroad?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 pm What was the Clinton doctrine -- at home or abroad?
Answer the question kavanaugh
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I'm just saying that, on occasion, we have presidents with no actual coherent beliefs who also have no coherent policy programs in office.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Definitely abroad.
As a side note, saw him on Bloomberg today, seems like he's losing his voice and sure could use some Plexaderm for his eyebags. Too much time spent abroad.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 pm What was the Clinton doctrine -- at home or abroad?
1.) Find open-minded chicks who know how to keep quiet.
2.) If they turn out to be less discreet than is convenient, unleash Hillary.
3.) Deny, deny, deny while biting lower lip to appear sincere.
4.) Cash large checks at every opportunity.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:27 pm I'm just saying that, on occasion, we have presidents with no actual coherent beliefs who also have no coherent policy programs in office.
Clinton might not have been predictable after the first couple of years, but he was on within the rails of a target that kept him in-line even though he wasn't hitting bullseye at all time.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

dolomite wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:27 pm Definitely abroad.
As a side note, saw him on Bloomberg today, seems like he's losing his voice and sure could use some Plexaderm for his eyebags. Too much time spent abroad.
Not sure I understand too much time abroad comment. Last time he was abroad was Helsinki with Putin in late June or early July.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Trump has no coherent beliefs. And no coherent policy.

Some might call that pragmatic. Some might call it incoherent.

But it's undeniable, either way.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 pm Trump has no coherent beliefs. And no coherent policy.

Write him a beautiful letter and he will fall in love with you.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 pm Trump has no coherent beliefs. And no coherent policy.

Can't agree more ---- how it ends up is more what i'm worried about.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Everyone should be worried about that.

I'm more worried about his domestic incoherence than foreign, but he makes me nervous.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:47 pm Everyone should be worried about that.

I'm more worried about his domestic incoherence than foreign, but he makes me nervous.
The domestic doesn't make me feel well, but his foreign is about to break me. As someone who works in the area it's a struggle if not almost impossible to enact the Administration's wishes. I'm barely even able to put forth any reasonable plan before the rug gets pulled out from under me. It has been extremely frustrating. The USG can't turn on a whim, and I don't think that is known by those driving the ship.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

So we are closing the CG in Israel.... Makes total sense after Trump says he's for a two state solution. The choreography here is astonishing. Pretty amazing everyone was caught off guard by this too!!! Will be very interesting to see how the next couple of weeks play out at the embassies in the region. Executing a move that enrages those who would like to perpetrate an attack and not letting the embassies in the region know so security can be adjusted is again astonishing.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

RussianHawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:48 pm So we are closing the CG in Israel.... Makes total sense after Trump says he's for a two state solution. The choreography here is astonishing. Pretty amazing everyone was caught off guard by this too!!! Will be very interesting to see how the next couple of weeks play out at the embassies in the region. Executing a move that enrages those who would like to perpetrate an attack and not letting the embassies in the region know so security can be adjusted is again astonishing.
Sorry for the ignorance here. I realize CG is consulate general (thanks Google!). I don't understand most of the rest but am interested. The Trump administration, and in particular Haley at the UN, IMO have been far better with Israel than the previous administration.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

The CG delt with Palestinian Affairs. With the move of the Embassy to Jerusalem they are now folding the CG into the Embassy. Rather that is a good decision or not I don't really have an opinion, but it would seem that this will make any dialogue with the PA much harder to find a two-state solution which Trump indicated was his preference.

As far as many in the US being caught off guard by the announcement it's just really dangerous. This barely makes the news in the US it's a huge deal in the region. Things like this should be coordinated to make sure appropriate security precautions are taken.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

Chatter about pulling out if INF now. This actually makes sense with Bolton at NSC, Trump's infatuation with pissing on Europe, and his will to dismantle everything possible. --- Makes too much sense probably won't happen.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

The most coherent policy has to be towards the Kingdom. Announce murding a US resident during the weekly dump. Definitely not the first administration snuggling up to these guys but the middle finger is soooo obvious.