ousdahl

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:14 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:04 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:18 pm You sure you aren’t putting words in my mouth again?

And you *suuure* this is the argument you wanna make?

you gonna be the guy who tells a semi-retired capitalist it’s not his prerogative to do damn near whatever he desires?

If he wants to delegate his work to his employees, you gonna tell him he can’t?

If he shows up late or misses a meeting or decides to just go golf all day, are you gonna be the one to fire him?
Im not making any argument. Youre the one that was lamenting how "hard" it was to do it all from the golf course. I mean, i know he doesnt have nearly the stress of the fry cook.
You keep saying that. I was a cook for 20 years. Not necessarily a fry cook but I occasionally fried stuff. That can be a very stressful job. Other cooks yelling at you, servers yelling at you, owners/managers yelling at you to get that sheet out and get it right, and then the egg yolk breaks all over the plate and you have to start it all over again, and look 5 more tickets just got called. It's 100 freakin degrees outside and there's no AC in the kitchen and your knees are shot and your hollandaise just broke.

Can we cool it with the fry cook stuff?

Thanks for this post.

It shut Tdub up and allowed the adults to talk for 3-4 pages. Then twocoach and illy showed up to ruin the thread again.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Thanks for that post Cascadia. Your input is always greatly valued.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:58 am

Im not making any argument. Youre the one that was lamenting how "hard" it was to do it all from the golf course. I mean, i know he doesnt have nearly the stress of the fry cook.
You keep saying that. I was a cook for 20 years. Not necessarily a fry cook but I occasionally fried stuff. That can be a very stressful job. Other cooks yelling at you, servers yelling at you, owners/managers yelling at you to get that sheet out and get it right, and then the egg yolk breaks all over the plate and you have to start it all over again, and look 5 more tickets just got called. It's 100 freakin degrees outside and there's no AC in the kitchen and your knees are shot and your hollandaise just broke.

Thanks for this post.

It shut Tdub up and allowed the adults to talk for 3-4 pages. Then twocoach and illy showed up to ruin the thread again.
Tdub and I are cool. You should lighten up a little.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Calmer than you are dude
Deleted User 863

#triggered
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Thanks for this post.

Wondering if you ever do anything besides disparage posters you dont agree with or if youre a 1 trick pony. Not saying i dont do it, i shouldn't, but I do....but its not my calling card, its not all I do.

Good thing you and Ous are tight or he might reprimand you for not adding anything to the discussion.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:49 am

Thanks for this post.

Wondering if you ever do anything besides disparage posters you dont agree with or if youre a 1 trick pony. Not saying i dont do it, i shouldn't, but I do....but its not my calling card, its not all I do.

Good thing you and Ous are tight or he might reprimand you for not adding anything to the discussion.
It's always easy to tell when Cascadia doesn't agree with Ousdahl because rather than tell us all how ousdahl is pwning us (like usual) he just stays silent and says nothing.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

“Good thing you and Ous are tight or he might reprimand you for not adding anything to the discussion.

another poster has already decided that’s their job, while simultaneously doing just that
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:03 am https://youtu.be/YM6z-0HN0rM
🤣🤣🤣
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

soo

so this wuzn’t the owner/president of my company, but hypothetically just some other owner/president of some other company.

But we were waiting around all day for him to get his info that everybody needed, and that he won’t let anybody else just have access to.

After several emails and calls from several employees, we finally get a reply: “sorry! I, uh, ended up taking the morning off.”

Like didn’t even feign some shit about how he got caught up in some other meeting or something. Just came out and admitted, took the morning off.

find me a fry cook who can pull that kind of stunt.

Hypothetically, of course.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

btw internet’s down at work today.

And pretty much everything I had to do today depends on the internet.

Got a couple things done on phone data, but it’s otherwise twiddling thumbs. I could either spend time here, or go put out the vibe by the water cooler.

…or is it too soon to go hang at the Sat Shack?
Deleted User 89

go put out the vibe

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Howd you know I wore an orange tux to work today?!
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So I’ve been in a stable position at work for a while. Performed well. Was in a position for a promotion, then Covid happened. We actually cut positions.

Now a person in a position above me was set to move out of state to a new office we opened. I was set to directly replace them for a promotion. But spouse pulled the plug on the move so that person is staying. Still a decent chance that I’m getting promotion due to the promise I was given that I would get promoted when that person left. Figuring it out soon with the leadership with my company.

But at what point do I say fuck it and go somewhere else?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ah, the professional game of chicken.

weighed into the decision of whether to say fuck it and go somewhere else is the fact it would very likely prompt them to finally throw you that bone.

in many instances, the quickest way to get promoted is to quit.
shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:34 am So I’ve been in a stable position at work for a while. Performed well. Was in a position for a promotion, then Covid happened. We actually cut positions.

Now a person in a position above me was set to move out of state to a new office we opened. I was set to directly replace them for a promotion. But spouse pulled the plug on the move so that person is staying. Still a decent chance that I’m getting promotion due to the promise I was given that I would get promoted when that person left. Figuring it out soon with the leadership with my company.

Depends on a lot, imo. Do you like your job, people you work with etc? That in itself makes a huge difference. The grass is not always greener at a different company (I mean, you could end of working for some jerk that went to Mizzou). And moving to a different company where you don't know anybody is a stressful time. It takes a while to really feel part of the team and get to know your role. But, it's always good to keep your options open. Maybe just tell them you are thinking of moving on or you've had some job offers elsewhere and see where that goes.
Deleted User 89

shitty spot to be in, Newton...for my entire adult life i’d been in positions where i had to threaten to quit, or actually have a competing offer, in order to get a promotion/raise. it sucks.

for the past couple years i’ve been in a position that has merit-based raises, and it’s amazing the difference in my own morale. i enjoyed the work of my previous position more, but i feel more valued in my current position
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:10 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:34 am So I’ve been in a stable position at work for a while. Performed well. Was in a position for a promotion, then Covid happened. We actually cut positions.

Depends on a lot, imo. Do you like your job, people you work with etc? That in itself makes a huge difference. The grass is not always greener at a different company (I mean, you could end of working for some jerk that went to Mizzou). And moving to a different company where you don't know anybody is a stressful time. It takes a while to really feel part of the team and get to know your role. But, it's always good to keep your options open. Maybe just tell them you are thinking of moving on or you've had some job offers elsewhere and see where that goes.
Appreciate that shindig. It’s a good place to be, good people (KU guy is CEO) and good customers I deal with. Just a definite promotion would improve the career arc. We shall see!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG