Professionalism part deux

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:12 am shitty spot to be in, Newton...for my entire adult life i’d been in positions where i had to threaten to quit, or actually have a competing offer, in order to get a promotion/raise. it sucks.

for the past couple years i’ve been in a position that has merit-based raises, and it’s amazing the difference in my own morale. i enjoyed the work of my previous position more, but i feel more valued in my current position
It really is Trad. And I may have that talk next week if it comes down to me not getting the promotion. I have had offers and turned them down to stay where I’m employed. Just stinks when it’s set up perfectly and then the rug is pulled out.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:54 am ah, the professional game of chicken.

weighed into the decision of whether to say fuck it and go somewhere else is the fact it would very likely prompt them to finally throw you that bone.

in many instances, the quickest way to get promoted is to quit.
It’s definitely close to that point. Have a former coworker trying to pull me to their company. Have talked with them and everything went well. Backed out before the offer was ever made because this was in the works. Now might be reaching back out soon.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

shindig

Post by shindig »

I job hopped a lot when I was in my 20's and early 30's. I have now been at my company for what will be 15 years in October. I'm also 49 (I know, old bastard), and just don't feel like moving around anymore. It's probably more a comfort thing, I know what I'm doing, I like my Director (he actually got me some more $ during my year end review because he thought I was underpaid for what I was doing). Which was cool, it wasn't a ton, but an 8% salary increase plus the normal 3% merit increase, so I'll take it. It got me to the mid-level of my salary range so still room to grow.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Same story here. My current boss is awesome. Got a decent merit increase last year middle of the year and then the typical 4% raise. And they have my back, just hope they have it and follow through with promotion.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

well, it’s been said that you only truly grow when you step outside of your comfort zone...a silver lining approach if push comes to shove and you decide to look elsewhere

even after all of my schooling, i’ve learned an immense amount of information in my new gig, which can only be a benefit if/when the time comes for me to do something different
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:32 am well, it’s been said that you only truly grow when you step outside of your comfort zone...a silver lining approach if push comes to shove and you decide to look elsewhere

even after all of my schooling, i’ve learned an immense amount of information in my new gig, which can only be a benefit if/when the time comes for me to do something different
Sigh. Hope thats true as I start the process to file paperwork to get my own CCB/GC license. I sure hope it's as easy as ousdahl makes it sound.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I don't know what a CCB/GC license is (General Contactor)?

If you're serious and not just jabbing at ousie (always a good time), I hope it works out and that you have a lot of success.
Defense. Rebounds.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:33 am I don't know what a CCB/GC license is (General Contactor)?

If you're serious and not just jabbing at ousie (always a good time), I hope it works out and that you have a lot of success.
yeah, what does ousdahl know anyway? :)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:33 am I don't know what a CCB/GC license is (General Contactor)?

Yea construction contractors board general contractors license. Gonna start small with some side work i already have lined up but dont wanna get caught operating without a license like half the guys i know.....we'll see how it goes. Ideally I would quit my other job and work for myself....which. brings in a whole host of other issues and problems....but, also, opportunity.
Just Ledoux it
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 am Sigh. Hope thats true as I start the process to file paperwork to get my own CCB/GC license. I sure hope it's as easy as ousdahl makes it sound.
Do you have to take the IRBC test for your GCL?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

defixione wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:08 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 am Sigh. Hope thats true as I start the process to file paperwork to get my own CCB/GC license. I sure hope it's as easy as ousdahl makes it sound.
Do you have to take the IRBC test for your GCL?
Im not entirely sure. I believe it the state license test utilizes the subject areas of the IRBC but I dont know if i have to take that test in addition to the state test or not.

I took the practice tests yesterday which were fairly simple, though I meed to brush up on some of my electrical and plumbing codes. The carpentry sections were scarily simple....pretty sure anyone could pass those.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is my kinda thread.
Supportive and helpful.
I feel like CR would give this last couple of pages an A.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:44 pm This is my kinda thread.
Supportive and helpful.
I feel like CR would give this last couple of pages an A.
so, kcrim is kinda like a first date

just don’t talk politics or religion
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And then the one night stand.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:34 am So I’ve been in a stable position at work for a while. Performed well. Was in a position for a promotion, then Covid happened. We actually cut positions.

Now a person in a position above me was set to move out of state to a new office we opened. I was set to directly replace them for a promotion. But spouse pulled the plug on the move so that person is staying. Still a decent chance that I’m getting promotion due to the promise I was given that I would get promoted when that person left. Figuring it out soon with the leadership with my company.

But at what point do I say fuck it and go somewhere else?
Welp got the promotion anyway. So I'm all good for now.

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Congratulations!
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Good news!
jhawks99