Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 am SDS was over 18 at the time the money was allegedly given to his “guardian”. Was there a legal relationship there? If I told Adidas I could get RJ Hampton to an Adidas school for $100k and they paid me, is RJ Hampton ineligibile?
Pretty sure, yes he'd be ineligible and you'd be guilty of defrauding a university.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Reading more about this damn near every major D1 school has been mentioned in some way or the other.
I don’t understand what the end goal of this trial is? To bring down the NCAA? To end the “shocking” practice of paying players? To make an even playing field?
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Reading more about this damn near every major D1 school has been mentioned in some way or the other."

Right:

On Wednesday, Sood also acknowledged during cross-examination by Dawkins' attorney, Steve Haney, that he met with Pina and another man to discuss paying then-Kentucky forward Bam Adebayo and other UK players in hopes of landing them as clients for his financial management company.

"Stephen Pina was trying to position you by paying Bam Adebayo, and other kids at Kentucky, and he told you it would be expensive, didn't he?" Haney asked.

"Yes," Sood replied.

"And you understood that to mean that you were going to have to pay a lot of money to get those kids from Kentucky, didn't you?" Haney asked.

"Yes," Sood said.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... kyle-kuzma
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Gqcolorado wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:11 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:41 pm What does "innocent" mean? I would guess that (a) Self has a lot more actual knowledge of this stuff than most people would care to believe, and (b) we haven't done anything outside the norm for high-major programs.

Does B mean 1. We paid him in your mind. and/or 2. That's ok.
What does "we" mean? I am certain - as everyone should be - that someone on the SDS side got money from someone on the Adidas/KU side in connection with SDS' commitment to KU. And of course I have no ethical or moral problem with that. I sincerely hope everyone with a ku.edu email address was exceedingly cautious about how exactly this came to be.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:38 am Reading more about this damn near every major D1 school has been mentioned in some way or the other.
I don’t understand what the end goal of this trial is? To bring down the NCAA? To end the “shocking” practice of paying players? To make an even playing field?
Well...the real goal is for some prosecutors to make names for themselves.

But it is clear that the NCAA is glad to have an excuse to triple down on amateurism. And of course I think that is both unethical and shortsighted.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:37 pm Reading a Matt Tait article where he interview an attorney who specializes in cases like this. Scenarios as follows...
1. KU and SDS come out of this scotch clean
2. KU comes out clean but SDS is ruled ineligible (the Cam & Cecil Netwon rule) because his 'handler' admits he took the cash even though KU and SDS had no prior knowledge

In regards to the second scenario lets say that SDS truly had no idea his handler was taking money under the table. What happens to the handler? Is he punished at all? If the only person who is really punished out of this is SDS the NCAA needs to take a hard look at themselves.
Well sure - but the NCAA has shown its true priorities on numerous occasions (washing its hands of the UNC academic situation; taking educational opportunities away from (generally) poor kids as punishment for coaches' transgressions by way of scholarship reductions).
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:47 am "Reading more about this damn near every major D1 school has been mentioned in some way or the other."

Right:

On Wednesday, Sood also acknowledged during cross-examination by Dawkins' attorney, Steve Haney, that he met with Pina and another man to discuss paying then-Kentucky forward Bam Adebayo and other UK players in hopes of landing them as clients for his financial management company.

"Stephen Pina was trying to position you by paying Bam Adebayo, and other kids at Kentucky, and he told you it would be expensive, didn't he?" Haney asked.

"Yes," Sood replied.

"And you understood that to mean that you were going to have to pay a lot of money to get those kids from Kentucky, didn't you?" Haney asked.

"Yes," Sood said.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... kyle-kuzma
Oregon was also mentioned in that article as a school who was willing to make an offer for a player.

No use arguing about the hypocrisy of the NCAA when nothing will change. As most, if not all of us are KU fans we cross our fingers that no further damage is done to our basketball program.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

SDS was not paid to come to KU. The money was to pay Under Armor who supposedly paid to have SDS go to Maryland.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

wasn’t the initial report that the payment was for him to go to arizona?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 am SDS was not paid to come to KU. The money was to pay Under Armor who supposedly paid to have SDS go to Maryland.
You believe a scenario where all that happened is that UnderArmour's money was returned, and that SDS went to KU for free?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 am
Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 am SDS was not paid to come to KU. The money was to pay Under Armor who supposedly paid to have SDS go to Maryland.
You believe a scenario where all that happened is that UnderArmour's money was returned, and that SDS went to KU for free?
That was the initial story before his guardian denied getting any money from anybody. Follow the money.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:47 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 am
That was the initial story before his guardian denied getting any money from anybody. Follow the money.
I have no doubt that UnderArmour was repaid. I just highly doubt that's where it stopped. That would not make sense.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Regardless, if Adidas paid the money back to under armour, then that's essentially the same as paying him to come to KU. It's not like the originally money was refunded completely, it just changed who the money came from.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:49 am Regardless, if Adidas paid the money back to under armour, then that's essentially the same as paying him to come to KU. It's not like the originally money was refunded completely, it just changed who the money came from.
Sure - I guess I just read Geezer to be saying that Adidas gave SDS (or someone) money to pay back UnderArmour (not that UnderArmour was paid directly by Adidas).

My point is: I would bet that SDS (or someone) ended up with money in exchange for going to KU.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Fish, get an avatar man.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

May I suggest:
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

lmao

you’re the boss, pdub. just do it already
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Brian Bowen Sr was on the stand this afternoon dropping dimes left and right. This is shaping out like a real life version of Blue Chips.
But I'm not surprised by any of these allegations.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I don't want to believe that Coach Self was knowingly involved in any of this.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Are we seriously not talking about this?

Bowen said Dawkins originally mentioned they could get $60-80K from Adidas for going to Louisville, but it rose to $100K because "Billy Preston had gotten $100K" from Adidas for going to Kansas.