Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by jfish26 »

Even Boeheim gets it (although, Jesus Christ, apparently CBS' headline writer and the article writer do not):

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim doesn't believe college players should 'ever' be compensated

Boeheim believes that cost of attendance and meal money is enough for NCAA athletes
"I don't think we should ever compensate players," he said via Syracuse.com. "I think we can do as much as we can for players. The cost of attendance is good. They get more meals now so they can keep their meal money. I think those are all good things and I think more of those things should have been done. But I don't think you can compensate players straight out. What's the salary? How much? Do you pay football, men's basketball, women's basketball? We got a great lacrosse team, do we pay those guys?"

The NCAA and its amateurism model has been under attack over the last year more so than normal with the FBI taking a keen interest in college basketball and its dark underbelly of nefarious recruiting. The ongoing probe led Wednesday to guilty verdicts against three separate individuals who have been alleged to be a part of that scene. Yet Boeheim, who seems stuck in his belief that the model should not change, believes paying players -- players who clearly have a monetary value of greater value than a meal stipend and cost of attendance -- is nonsensical.

"The fallacy of the payment thing and they all say the same exact thing: 'It's a billion dollar business.' No, it's not. There might be income coming in, but it goes to all the other sports," said Boeheim. "It's not just coming into basketball and we're keeping it all. We're bringing it in and it's paying for all the other sports. So at the end of the day, I know for a fact at Syracuse that it's zero. We have zero money left in the athletic department at the end of the year. Without paying anybody.

"And everybody says, 'The coach makes this and the players (don't make anything).' The player is 17 years old. I've been working my whole life. There's a lot of 17-year-old kids that don't make money. Most of them. These 17-year-old kids are getting a $75,000 scholarship. And they compare that to a coach making all this money. What's the comparison there? I'm a grown man. I've been working for 50 years. That's just not a comparison. It makes no sense. You might as well say that NBA players aren't making enough money because the owner's worth $2 billion. So the players should be making more money. It just makes no sense."

[...]

Boeheim did however concede that the rules as currently constituted -- though improved of late -- could be improved further with respect to considerations for players' families and players' likeness.

"I think we should do as much as we can for the players under the system," he said. "We have improved it. We could get the parents to games. I think we could do that more easily. Anything we can do extending the players' educations, make sure it's paid for. We keep our players up there at Christmas -- let's send them home. Let's pay for them to go home a couple times. Why not? Why can't we do that? Why shouldn't we do that? I think they do that for other scholarship people. I think they can get transportation. Why don't we talk about that?

"And the players' images, fine. There's a lot of pitfalls for that, but go ahead. If Tyus Battle can do a commercial in town and make money, I'm 100 percent for that. It's not hurting anything. Let's do that.
Good lord, people. NO ONE SERIOUS is saying schools should pay the players. What Old Man Boeheim - crotchety, finger-wagging, cane-shaking, get-off-my-lawn-guy Boeheim is saying - is "sure, why the fuck wouldn't we let players make money off name, image and likeness?"
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

The question isn't should we let them, the question is why on earth does the ncaa think they have the authority to make it so that they can't do that.

That should be none of their business.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Well, because then what will happen is that certain programs will have more money spent than others, and those programs would tend to get the best recruits every year.

(Oh.)
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:55 am Well, because then what will happen is that certain programs will have more money spent than others, and those programs would tend to get the best recruits every year.

(Oh.)
Wait...what? You mean schools like Kansas Duke UNC and UK will dominate recruiting and win more games than everyone else?

(Oh.)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:57 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:55 am Well, because then what will happen is that certain programs will have more money spent than others, and those programs would tend to get the best recruits every year.

(Oh.)
Wait...what? You mean schools like Kansas Duke UNC and UK will dominate recruiting and win more games than everyone else?

(Oh.)
I think the counterargument there is that, at least right now, the compulsory money-laundering means that buying players happens in the form of building them dorms that other students (LOL) can use.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Gotta redo the locker room about every 5 years.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 75

Our locker room budget probably surpasses the entire Missouri Valley Conference locker room budgets combined.

It's not a level playing field no matter what. 50 or so guys a year being famous enough to warrant image/likeness endorsements isn't going to swing that advantage further either way imo.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Right. Might keep them playing college ball, though.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So no de sousa for tonight. and maybe for awhile? hopefully not forever
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... y-released

I have not read all the transcripts, but it looks like most (if not all) of these calls do not mention Kansas. That has to be a good thing for us.
Deleted User 75

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing. This is all the stuff from the previous trial, and we pretty much knew what related to us already with the Self texts and KT stuff.

I think Self and KT will survive this...I don't think KU is in danger of losing the FF from last year anymore....but SDS is done for at KU. So that sucks. Especially if he was unaware his guardian was shopping him. Even if we can convince the NCAA that the 2,500 is all he got to come to KU, how on earth can we clear up the Maryland stuff that would make him ineligible regardless? It's not like since he didn't go there that it doesn't matter. Shit situation all around.

And if I'm Self and KT, and I knew about SDS money stuff, I'd feel incredibly bad he's the one getting punished out of the whole deal and pretty much killed any chance at him developing over the next 2 or 3 years at KU and having a shot at the NBA....if I'm Self I make sure he's taken care of for the foreseeable future financially 1 way or another. (Gasp)
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

He plays by January.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Geezer wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:49 am He plays by January.
That's what Self said about Preston when all they knew was that he was driving his dead grandmother's fully loaded Dodge Charger, wasn't it?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:21 am
I think Self and KT will survive this...I don't think KU is in danger of losing the FF from last year anymore....but SDS is done for at KU. So that sucks. Especially if he was unaware his guardian was shopping him. Even if we can convince the NCAA that the 2,500 is all he got to come to KU, how on earth can we clear up the Maryland stuff that would make him ineligible regardless? It's not like since he didn't go there that it doesn't matter. Shit situation all around.
I'm not sure how long the suspension would be if the full amount of money from both sources were held against him.

Regardless, I think the bigger issue is how long does it take the ncaa to finish looking into it. That could be longer than the full suspension anyway.

If he ever plays for KU again, I'll be super excited, but I'm certainly not expecting it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:57 am
Regardless, I think the bigger issue is how long does it take the ncaa to finish looking into it. That could be longer than the full suspension anyway.
Yup.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:10 pm
Yup.
I'd set the over under at 17.5 months.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:10 pm
Yup.
It’s also very possible that we’d prefer the NCAA not to look into it anymore.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:39 pm It’s also very possible that we’d prefer the NCAA not to look into it anymore.
Indeed.

If the worst of this is we lose sds, we can consider ourselves lucky.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 75

For Christmas someone should get Self the entire series of the wire, along with a giant box full of burner phones for he and his staff to use if needed.

Someone should also get KT a burner account on instagram so it's not so easy for his wife (and our fan base) to see all the sketchy ass posts he likes that makes him look pretty slimy....although I enjoy twerking videos and half naked chicks, I typically make sure I don't "like" them for whoever follows me to see.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id ... ecruitment

Lengthy article with no mention of KU.