Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Creighton and TCU brought up today involving bribes.

TCU is one that hasn't been brought up before, I don't believe.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:38 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:14 pm At this point, self-reporting or self-imposing punishments is a fireable offense for an AD or coach.
^^^

I think these is among the foremost of issues that will he tested going forward. If the NCAA is going to have no consideration for any good faith or self-reporting, then what are they gonna do when every school just denies, denies, denies?
As of right now, they're going to tell you that that denial is good, thanks. They said exactly as much when explaining the Mizzou penalties.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:10 pm Creighton and TCU brought up today involving bribes.

Are the birds starting to sing?

Really goes to show either how dumb these coaches are or how much it was accepted to pay players. All of these coaches are talking and texting about it like it is NOTHING.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:26 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:10 pm Creighton and TCU brought up today involving bribes.

Are the birds starting to sing?

Really goes to show either how dumb these coaches are or how much it was accepted to pay players. All of these coaches are talking and texting about it like it is NOTHING.
It's both, right?
Alot of college basketball coaches seem caught in a Catch-22. If they don't win, they get fired. To win, they need great players. To recruit great players, they may have to offer them illegal inducements. If they get caught doing that, they get fired. It's a vicious circle.

[...]

[The coach] has never cheated on the recruiting rules and he doesn't want to start now. But the walls are closing in on him. He's after some hot high school prospects who are fairly frank about their requirements. "The way I see it," says one towering prospect from French Lick, Ind. (Larry Bird's hometown), "I'm a white, blue chip prospect and I think that should be worth about $30,000. In one of those athletic bags." Plus a new tractor for his dad's farm. A black inner-city kid from Chicago has a mom who would like a decent job, and a home with a lawn.

[...]

The underlying theme, I think, is that since top-level intercollegiate athletic programs are profit centers for their universities and feeding programs for the pro leagues, maybe the players should be paid, and the pretense of amateurism dropped. Look at the once-amateur Olympics.

[...]

Is there a national championship collegiate athletic program anywhere in the country that can truthfully say all of its recruiting was done entirely within the official guidelines? Just asking.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/blue-chips-1994
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Without some leveler, a few schools would have every imaginable advantage in recruiting. Like in football. I am about done with college sports. This year's NCAA basketball quality was pretty dismal. The NCAA is on the precipice of making men's BB as lopsided as the unwatchable women's side.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Just a helpful reminder: this sort of stuff gets squashed out of existence if you give the players direct (and reported and taxed and monitored and regulated) access to the value they're very obviously generating.

Meet Martin Fox, the mysterious Houston sports fixture caught up in the college bribery scandal

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-whole-new-wo ... 41886.html
Fox is widely known across the AAU and college basketball world. Now that the 62-year-old hoops gadfly has been charged with conspiracy to commit racketeering, his murky role within the sport is under scrutiny.

"He was a known person," said Sonny Vaccaro, a godfather of the sneaker business, "but it was unknown exactly what he did."

The FBI says it knows one thing Fox did: facilitating academic fraud as a middleman funneling bribes from the head of a shady college-prep company in California to a standardized test administrator in Houston and to the tennis coach at the University of Texas. In the U.S. Attorney's indictment that was unsealed Tuesday, Fox is alleged to have funneled money from William "Rick" Singer to Lisa "Niki" Williams to arrange for students to earn sufficiently high marks on the ACT to be admitted to elite universities.

Thus, the question arises: If Fox was adept at funneling money to fix tests for these children, was he doing the same for the myriad teenage basketball stars he associated with in the Houston area? The government might like to know. So might the NCAA.

[...]

Fox's relationship with college athletics is more nebulous. He's been described in media reports as the "general manager" of AAU basketball power Houston Hoops. He's also interacted with some of the top players to come out of that talent-rich city in recent years, including former Duke star Justise Winslow, former Kansas star Kelly Oubre and former Kentucky star De'Aaron Fox (no relation) — all of whom became first-round NBA draft picks after a single season of college ball.

Fox sat behind Virginia Tech's bench for the Hokies' final regular-season game with Miami in Blacksburg, Virginia, on Friday night. Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams is one of many college coaches close to Fox and told the story Wednesday night that when he introduced his son to Fox, his son asked, "'What does he do, is he a coach?'" Williams said, "I'd say no. He's in the middle of everything." He added, "I didn't know he was in the middle of that," referencing the federal trouble.

This isn't the first time Fox's name has come up recently in relation to a federal corruption investigation. During the first college basketball fraud trial in October, so-called Adidas "bag man" T.J. Gassnola testified that Fox wired him $40,000, which Gassnola then withdrew from a bank in cash and flew to Raleigh, North Carolina, where he gave it to a North Carolina State assistant basketball coach. Gassnola testified it was a "payment to Dennis Smith's family." Dennis Smith Jr. played one season at NC State before becoming the ninth pick of the 2017 draft.

Gassnola testified that he repaid Fox a month later. But that loan and the relationship with Gassnola creates a compelling snapshot of Fox as an alleged fixer who transcends levels, the kind of guy a bag man can call for a $40,000 loan to deliver as "cash in an envelope" to an assistant coach to appease the family of a future lottery pick.

"Everyone likes him," said a longtime acquaintance of Fox's with deep ties to the sport. "Martin's a nice guy and he'd do anything to help you. But for some reason he's made his whole being on the underbelly of college basketball."

[...]

This is a well-worn narrative: Noted basketball middleman with heavy influence in the basketball recruiting world gets arrested and faces serious charges and dozens of college coaches around the sport are holding their breath, wondering what he'll tell federal authorities. It's not a new storyline in a scandal-scarred sport, but this Tuesday bombshell from the feds added another layer to the saga.

He's had dealings in the latter stages of this season with Kansas coach Bill Self, sources told Yahoo Sports. He's close enough to twins David and Dana Pump, long known as dabblers in the AAU, event and ticket world, to be known as the "Third Pump Brother." It's not a compliment.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Going to be really tough for the NCAA going forward.
If they are legit, there won't be a tournament next year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I honestly cannot fathom why Bill would continue to associate with people like this. At the very latest, that shit should have stopped the instant we figured out that pushing Preston's case a moment longer was a bad idea.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

I'm not saying Bill's 100% clean, but wtf does 'dealings in the latter part of this year' mean, exactly?

If I had to guess, that means Bill was asking about a kid on his Houston AAU team.

JFish - it sounds like in the cbb world, when recruiting elite athletes, you're dealing with these types of people most, if not all, of the time. I'm not sure it can be avoided and still get top-flight talent. That doesn't mean if you deal with them you're taking bribes, but if you want great players...these people are going to be in the middle of it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

kubowler99 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 pm I'm not saying Bill's 100% clean, but wtf does 'dealings in the latter part of this year' mean, exactly?

If I had to guess, that means Bill was asking about a kid on his Houston AAU team.

JFish - it sounds like in the cbb world, when recruiting elite athletes, you're dealing with these types of people most, if not all, of the time. I'm not sure it can be avoided and still get top-flight talent. That doesn't mean if you deal with them you're taking bribes, but if you want great players...these people are going to be in the middle of it.
Oh, the reference should be taken with a grain of salt (particularly given the byline of the story).

I would just think that, at this particular point in time, Bill would stay miles and miles away from this kind of thing.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Compared to what it was decades ago, today's college athletics is as pure as driven snow. Wilt drove a Cadillac convertible for Pete's sake.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Leawood wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 pm Compared to what it was decades ago, today's college athletics is as pure as driven snow. Wilt drove a Cadillac convertible for Pete's sake.
FWIW - https://www.hoopszone.net/Kansas/Kansas ... 201962.htm
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

NCAA sends investigator to look into Kansas football and men's basketball programs

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -programs/
Football????
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Football was self reported. Trying to find Beaty dirty so they don't have to pay him $3 million. Seems like a petty way of dealing with the deal.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Quietly last night news broke that Gatto was ordered to pay KU $161k in restitution. #victims
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 am Quietly last night news broke that Gatto was ordered to pay KU $161k in restitution. #victims
bizarre.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

VICTIMS!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 am Quietly last night news broke that Gatto was ordered to pay KU $161k in restitution. #victims
So, can we afford to pay Beaty now? Please?
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »