KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by ousdahl »

Shortly after fall semester, expect an announcement that Silvio is leaving the program to go play in the G-league or overseas* until draft time.

*you know, somewhere he can get legitimately paid for his abilities without compromising his eligibility or implicating him in an fbi investigation.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:30 pm Shortly after fall semester, expect an announcement that Silvio is leaving the program to go play in the G-league or overseas* until draft time.

*you know, somewhere he can get legitimately paid for his abilities without compromising his eligibility or implicating him in an fbi investigation.
sounds realistic. your theory? of have you heard speculation of this
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, just my theory, but I agree that it seems realistic.

And it, as much as it pains me to say, is arguably in Silvio’s best interest. Go get what experience (and what money) you can, while you can, cuz it could be years before the ncaa makes a decision, if they ever even make a decision, and even if they do make a decision, it will more likely than not be to Silvio’s detriment, so why wait around?

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go meet JFish at choir rehearsal, so we can practice our rendition of God Save The Rules before the big recital.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Rules are rules. Some rules are dumb. Break the rules and pay the price. Thats the way life works. OSHA has some dumbass rules. However, if i get caught breaking them at work. I get fined. Also, my employer gets fined. Thats the goddamn way it works. Play by the established rules, negotiate a rule change, or break them at your own risk and pay the penalty. Dumb or not.

So save your vocals and take the damn god save the rules chorus and move to the garage. Might as well take the drum and the dead horse out there with you.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I’m sure Silvio would rather just forefit the opportunity to actually play, and spend the next year on the practice squad celebrating the purity of amateurism....pfft.

And TDub, you’re right. Rules are rules. But OHSA rules are there largely for the benefit of employees, even if they seem dumb. NCAA rules are dumb precisely because they are largely detrimental to student athletes.

And when you say IF you get caught, that’s a big big if - especially in the context of ncaa basketball, with tens or hundreds of thousands in capitalistic incentives that in virtually any other industry would simply be called “fair market value,” and especially considering how many thousands of athletes have gotten away with it for the past, I dunno, for-fucking-ever?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The most damning thing they have on him is a lousy $2500.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

aaand let’s not forget the likelihood that Silvio really has broken no rules himself. No really!

Indeed, Silvio’s problems very well could have been created by any number of handlers, shoe pushers, agents, and any other shady characters who are able to prey on kids within the lucrative black market of college hoops.

Silvio didn’t create that black market. The Rules did.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Geezer wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:18 pm The most damning thing they have on him is a lousy $2500.
Well, most damning tangible thing, right?

Some hustler trying to save his own ass alleged tens of thousands more in testimony.

The mere suggestion is more than enough for the NCAA to open a years-long investigation with who knows what consequences.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Btw Jfish has a tenor croon so warm and deep it’ll bring a tear to your eye.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm
Geezer wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:18 pm The most damning thing they have on him is a lousy $2500.

Some hustler trying to save his own ass alleged tens of thousands more in testimony.

The mere suggestion is more than enough for the NCAA to open a years-long investigation with who knows what consequences.
"Some hustler"

LOL

it's time for some of our fan base to accept our part in this and stop playing the unwitting victim card....didn't that "hustler" sit at Self's table for his HOF induction?

These guys aren't hustlers or bad people (from what I've seen)...just doing their job that they never figured would be viewed as illegal because it hasn't been illegal for the last 3+ decades.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Some pusher. Some middle man. Don't get caught up in that much.

it's not like Silvio had to go to court and explain how he was shopping himself around.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:55 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm

"Some hustler"

LOL

it's time for some of our fan base to accept our part in this and stop playing the unwitting victim card....didn't that "hustler" sit at Self's table for his HOF induction?

These guys aren't hustlers or bad people (from what I've seen)...just doing their job that they never figured would be viewed as illegal because it hasn't been illegal for the last 3+ decades.
I think it's become very clear that, in many instances, the players were more or less pawns. The "mentor" getting checks. The mom or dad getting a job or a sweet AAU team management fee. The handler trying to keep a coach happy with the shoe company.

And yet, we demonize the kids.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The whole situation is crazy. The FBI jumping into amateurism in one sport.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Jumping into other sports would give you a different definition of "amateurism".
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

did I hear a rumor that KU is meeting with NCAA today?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If it IS just a rumor, let’s leave it at that.

If not, then apparently 9 games out is expected.

I dunno which I’d be more excited for: actually having SDS for the most important 3/4 of the season, or the logistical gymnastics the ncaa took to come to that decision.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:31 am If it IS just a rumor, let’s leave it at that.

If not, then apparently 9 games out is expected.

I dunno which I’d be more excited for: actually having SDS for the most important 3/4 of the season, or the logistical gymnastics the ncaa took to come to that decision.
I wouldn't play him unless I have iron-clad assurances that that can't be used against us later. The one thing we have going for us right now is the argument that we played him with the NCAA's clearance and in good faith (before the stuff this summer came out). I wouldn't want to give up that high ground.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah for real.

Would anybody put it past the ncaa to clear him (again) now, then try to penalize us years down the road?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The problem is that I think any clearance now would be on the basis of "subject to information that might be developed later." I have ZERO confidence that we've (meaning this group) seen every last bit of damaging information/evidence on this matter.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Did I hear last night that Duke had the top 3 recruits? Snark alert.

Hmm. Some athletes get looked at harder than others.