KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am Frustrating. KU was vilified, but took meaningful action. Duke, which must be in some type of academic fraud with its five-star pre-meds well before shoe money, walks.
Just an FYI, no one testified in federal court that Zion Williamson was given $2,500 or that his guardian was given $20,000. It is just assumed based on the fact that KU said what they said. So there is that.

The whole thing is a shit show that the NCAA has absolutely zero clue how to handle. They seem to be sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth anxiously sucking their thumb just wishing the whole thing would blow over.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

...except that they wanted this to happen. They wanted the federal fucking government to become - or at the very least did not stop the federal fucking government from becoming - their heavy.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

It's not weird that the ncaa didn't stop them, because how could they....it IS weird, that with all the important shit going on in this country/the world, that our federal government has available time/resources to dedicate this much money and time to investigating corruption in college basketball that many/most have known about for the better part of 40 years....

(As if paying someone for their services is somehow corrupt simply because of an ncaa rule)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm with all the important shit going on in this country/the world,
Stay off the politics bored.

There's nothing more important than college hoops. Bad fan.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm It's not weird that the ncaa didn't stop them, because how could they....it IS weird, that with all the important shit going on in this country/the world, that our federal government has available time/resources to dedicate this much money and time to investigating corruption in college basketball that many/most have known about for the better part of 40 years....

(As if paying someone for their services is somehow corrupt simply because of an ncaa rule)
YOUR resources. Don't forget that. You are paying the lawyers, and the judges, and the FBI agents, and the staff of all of these. You are paying for the courtrooms and the computers and the paper and the pens.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

When and why exactly did the fbi get involved? Was it cuz of the ncaa making such a fuss?

I’ve sorta had the impression that the ncaa felt validated by the feds getting involved.

Threats to amateurism is the ncaa’s ManBearPig, and an fbi investigation made things get cereal.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:26 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 am i hope the ncaa tries to vacate wins, not necessarily KU’s, and gets a suit filed against them
Has that worked before? Dozens of schools have had wins vacated in the past, but I'm unaware of any situations where they've filed a suit and had those wins/titles/etc. reinstated.
Penn State
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:52 pm
Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am Frustrating. KU was vilified, but took meaningful action. Duke, which must be in some type of academic fraud with its five-star pre-meds well before shoe money, walks.
Just an FYI, no one testified in federal court that Zion Williamson was given $2,500 or that his guardian was given $20,000. It is just assumed based on the fact that KU said what they said. So there is that.

The whole thing is a shit show that the NCAA has absolutely zero clue how to handle. They seem to be sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth anxiously sucking their thumb just wishing the whole thing would blow over.
Funny how no one asks Duke questions they don't want to answer.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So, Self yesterday didn’t shut down rumors that we’ll see Silvio playing in the near future.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Self never shut down rumors that we'll see Billy playing in a Jayhawk uniform either.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

True. I'll be less vague: there is an independent rumor going around that Silvio sits out only 1-2 more games.

Yesterday, Self voluntarily offered that he thinks there will be a resolution one way or the other in the very near future.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

The standard 9 games for taking extra cheddar ruling is in play.
I am, I said.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I would love to see Silvio play, the sooner the better.

I really want to see him eat Konante's lunch.
Defense. Rebounds.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

SELF ‘HOPEFUL’ FOR DE SOUSA NEWS ‘RELATIVELY SOON’ —

Self said the status of withheld sophomore forward Silvio De Sousa remains unchanged, though he expressed hope the season-long situation will soon find a resolution one way or another.

“I do think we’ll know more relatively soon, but that’s not coming from anybody in the know telling me that,” Self said. “I’ve just gotta believe that something’s at least going to happen from (the NCAA) educating us on what happens next, but we don’t have anything for sure to tell you on that.”

KU has voluntarily withheld De Sousa as the NCAA looks into allegations of illicit payments received by his guardian during De Sousa’s recruiting process, claims stated during a recently completed trial of three individuals involved in the federal government’s probe into corruption in college basketball.

https://www.cjonline.com/sports/2018121 ... e-that-way
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

In the full context it doesn't make me feel any better about SDS....feels more like Self sending smoke signals to the NCAA for a ruling even though they've pretty much said they're not doing anything until after the season.

What's weird is that you would think they've got all the info the need from the previous trial. It's unlikely that there will be info relating to KU/SDS in the remaining trials based on who is on trial and what they're on trial for.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:15 am In the full context it doesn't make me feel any better about SDS....feels more like Self sending smoke signals to the NCAA for a ruling even though they've pretty much said they're not doing anything until after the season.
No. You have to understand the audience. Something is coming down soon. Whether it's good news or bad news, that's what Self is holding back on.

Also interesting is that he said there were serious conversations to RS Mitch but the uncertainty of Silvio ended up nixing the idea. That also suggests that the staff has anticipated playing Silvio, although that obviously could have been before the trials.
Deleted User 75

Didn't the NCAA say last week that no punishments related to the trials are going to happen until after the season?

Maybe they meant relating to schools and not individual players?...but what the NCAA put out there on their own was the exact opposite of "something is coming down soon".

Whatever the case may be, I hope SDS finds something out soon so he at least knows his future.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I believe Silvio is the only player from the trial that is presently still in school. So his “eligibility” should still fall within the basic job of the NCAA and should be the exception to the overall punishment of schools, coaches. Or the stalling to do nothing.
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Time served plays a part here. He's sat out more than half a season between 2018 and 2019 seasons. The NCAA doesn't have to make an official ruling one way or the other for De Sousa to start playing. Technically, De Sousa is eligible now and way more stuff is going on between KU and the NCAA than what either will say publicly.

What Self said yesterday is different than everything he's said thus far. And yes, sanctions against the schools will operate separately from the individual players' eligibility.
Deleted User 75

SDS has a little jumper on him. He may fit nicely next to Dedric. Better than our other options without Dok. He'd provide some athletic ability and shot blocking that we are needing. He's a big strong kid and made big strides in limited games last year....how his situation plays out is a huge X factor for us. He's big enough to guard 5s, and versatile enough not to totally clog up the areas where Dedric needs space to operate.