KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am Frustrating. KU was vilified, but took meaningful action. Duke, which must be in some type of academic fraud with its five-star pre-meds well before shoe money, walks.
It is certainly true that, in number of respects, private schools get to play by different rules. Another way that will help is not being subject to FOIA and local equivalents.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

JFish: Key point. Easy to canonize the coach with the expurgated biography.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:50 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:36 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:31 am Cracks me up that Zion is playing and NO ONE FUCKING CARES.
I agree. There is no worry by duke and no investigation by their compliance....but the stuff related to SDS was less hypothetical and more hard evidence than the Zion allegations.

Plus, no duke coaches on wire taps or text messages....and while I think the Zion stuff is true, I have no clue how the ncaa can prove it just because our staff was willing to offer things to him....especially because Duke doesn't seem like they'd be helpful or forthcoming about info that'll be hard to prove/discover without the fbi doing the dirty work.
I'm just saying that there's absolutely, 100% going to be a group of schools/players/situations here where nothing will end up happening because the time for action will be (a) after it's not cool or sexy anymore to level penalties, and (b) before meaningful change occurs.

That's the zone 2018-19 Silvio was going to be prior to the most recent news. I fully understand why he's not playing now - now it would just be extreme recklessness - but nothing at fucking all is going to happen to Arizona over Ayton, or UNC over Little, or Duke over Zion.

Cracks me up.
I agree.

In fact is guess that MOST players won't be punished.

We just got unlucky that the fbi collected a bunch of evidence that implicated our player and staff worse than most of the other situations.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:05 am It's almost semester break!

Which, of course, means....

On to Bosnia!
Emmert said today that the punishments are “up to the school” at this point.

A half year imposed sanction is severe given the alleged benefits.

Free him Bill.
Deleted User 75

The problem is that then the ncaa might decide in 24 months to make us vacate every game SDS has played in since we became aware of the info gathered by the fbi.

I don't trust the ncaa to do the right thing.

Right now we control our own destiny with SDS it feels like...because as long as there is no additional info that directly implicates our coaches as knowing anything SDS broke rules, we can always fall back on the "you cleared him ncaa" defense to playing him last year and protecting our final 4 from being vacated.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

1. Time served is taken into consideration.

2. Fuck the NCAA. Self, Calipari, et al need to put their balls on the table and tell the NCAA, “come and get it.”

Try taking that banner down. Just try. UNC told the NCAA to F.O. and it backed down like a newborn puppy.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Can we get a #FreeSilvio movement trending?

What’s critical mass for media picking it up and forcing ncaa to do something?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hell, it (kinda) worked last year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it kinda worked for Diallo too, right?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

At what point in the BP stand off did Self start to go public with his frustration on the NCAA’s handleing of his case? At this stage Self seems to be playing the diplomatic route.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:07 pm At what point in the BP stand off did Self start to go public with his frustration on the NCAA’s handleing of his case? At this stage Self seems to be playing the diplomatic route.
I was just going to say, Bill should get pissy soon. Pissy in the past has caused movement.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't think Self will go that route this time. Calling attention to it just calls more attention to our involvement in the FBI situation.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm I don't think Self will go that route this time. Calling attention to it just calls more attention to our involvement in the FBI situation.
Yes. Perhaps privately pissy. NCAA won’t move publicly until this summer.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Oh he should absolutely do that and I'm sure is. Just not to the media.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, the details of Silvio are a little different.

With Diallo, there was no smoking gun of impermissible benefits, but basically to buy themselves more time for a fishing expedition, the NCAA just dragged their feet about clearing. (fucking 6th grade report cards? LOL)

With Silvio, there are bigger and more definite terms alleged.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Silvio just needs to sign overseas and be done with it.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm I don't think Self will go that route this time. Calling attention to it just calls more attention to our involvement in the FBI situation.
Agreed. The last thing we need is them to have added motivation to dig into the texts and phone calls our staff was involved in. We've got to be somewhat careful how much animosity we create between us and the ncaa.

Plus, if we know/think the Silvio stuff is true (it probably is)....then what exactly do we expect to accomplish by hooting and hollering at the ncaa to clear a player who possibly/likely (by the letter of the "law") did stuff that ruined his amateur status?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm
Plus, if we know/think the Silvio stuff is true (it probably is)....then what exactly do we expect to accomplish by hooting and hollering at the ncaa to clear a player who possibly/likely (by the letter of the "law") did stuff that ruined his amateur status?
Well, I think that amount of money is a suspension, not loss of amateur status.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:02 pm
But of course we don't know what we don't know. And if I'm KU, I feel like I've been burned once by that with this kid already.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:02 pm
The amount that was directly tied to KU? Or the entire amounts that include the alleged UA/maryland money? I can't keep all this bullshit straight.

Although I think the UA/Maryland money doesn't/didn't have much/any hard evidence presented?.....

What sucks the most is that everyone, including the ncaa, knows this shit is widespread and yet only a select few are subject to punishment because of collateral damage from an FBI investigation.

And what's even worse is that SDS, unlike Zion or Wendell Carter or some of the other big names, actually needed to play in college. Zion would be a millionaire in 6 months college or no college....this fuckery with SDS likely cost him any slim chance he had of NBA success.