KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by PhDhawk »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 am Why did we wait until now to do this?

I hope this turns out well for SDS...and I also hope it doesn't result in last year's final 4 being vacated....but then again, it's not like people don't still acknowledge Memphis' final 4 in 2008.
If you believe the reports it was presumably because KU was spending that time gathering information into any potential wrongdoing.

If the only violation they found or want to publicly admit was a 'mere' $2,500 payment he has already sat out 19 games (?). I believe that is more than enough punishment for his 'crime.'
Dook's investigation into Wendell Carter took like 11 seconds...can we hire their investigators?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 am Why did we wait until now to do this?

I hope this turns out well for SDS...and I also hope it doesn't result in last year's final 4 being vacated....but then again, it's not like people don't still acknowledge Memphis' final 4 in 2008.
If you believe the reports it was presumably because KU was spending that time gathering information into any potential wrongdoing.

If the only violation they found or want to publicly admit was a 'mere' $2,500 payment he has already sat out 19 games (?). I believe that is more than enough punishment for his 'crime.'
Very interesting development. I do think - I do strongly hope - this is the result of incredibly intense due diligence on our side. We can't put this foot forward if there's anything left in the shadows on De Sousa.

I also think the timing has an element of "ok guys, we've now sat him for DOUBLE what his suspension might have been."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This is kind of a bold take, but more and more I wonder about just playing him, and if we’re penalized down the road, who cares? It’s not like they can un-play the games.

I suppose it could impact record books, and whatever penalties in real time, but the trade off is getting to watch the games now with players who have already played for ya cuz they’ve already been cleared by the ncaa.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

The NCAA will never take away the memory of ending Grayson's career
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 am This is kind of a bold take, but more and more I wonder about just playing him, and if we’re penalized down the road, who cares? It’s not like they can un-play the games.

I suppose it could impact record books, and whatever penalties in real time, but the trade off is getting to watch the games now with players who have already played for ya cuz they’ve already been cleared by the ncaa.
I would have had ZERO problem just playing him. It looks like we're not going to take any risk - we're asking the NCAA to bless it. I would be very surprised if we get anything better than "ok, you're good on the $2,500, anything else is on you."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If anything else is on us, we should have looked into the alleged anything more, and should be able to confirm or disconfirm any credibility, right?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:06 am If anything else is on us, we should have looked into the alleged anything more, and should be able to confirm or disconfirm any credibility, right?
Not really.

This shit is hard to catch...thus, the fbi being the only 1 who is truly good at enforcing the ncaa rules.

My guess, is that SDS won't be mentioned in any of the other trials...so the ncaa won't have any additional info than they already have (which obviously isn't much as long as everybody keeps denying everything).

Plus, I don't think it's about our staff "finding out" anything....I think they've been completely aware of what's been going on....but they probably know there is no more stuff that could come out so we won't get caught either way.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

That's what I'm saying. I don't think we'd be asking the NCAA to look at this again if we hadn't kicked every rock.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Starting to think there won't be any more trials.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The approach seems to be. "Yes, there was an infraction, but we're dealing with it, and should anything else come out, look at all this information we gathered and couldn't find anything. We've established that we'll admit if something happened and we've done out due diligence."

Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

The ncaa should shoulder blame too. They've been unable to enforce their own rules for the better part of the last 40 years.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Just saw that KU "could submit this request as early as this week."

If we've decided this is the route, why haven't we already made this request?

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I would guess it's because we wanted these stories to come out first.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am Just saw that KU "could submit this request as early as this week."

Because, IMO, this is basically admitting guilt that SDS was aware of payments or whatever. By not doing this sooner, KU was holding out hope that the NCAA was going to clear SDS and the KU staff of any wrongdoing.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:37 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am Just saw that KU "could submit this request as early as this week."

Because, IMO, this is basically admitting guilt that SDS was aware of payments or whatever. By not doing this sooner, KU was holding out hope that the NCAA was going to clear SDS and the KU staff of any wrongdoing.
That's not what I mean.

I mean, once the decision was made to go this route admitting an infraction and asking for re-instatement, why wait. Everything should have been put together and prepared. This decision gets made, the story comes out, everything should be waiting to just hit the 'send' button. Which should have happened the second Davis' story was online.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And also perhaps waiting for the NCAA to give private word that there was nothing to the $60,000 testimony.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 am So...what's the time frame for the NCAA to respond to this?
Just saw a tweet where Davis said an answer is likely coming this week.

So, should be in about 3 weeks.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

an answer...

so then the request has already been submitted, apparently
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am

That's not what I mean.

I mean, once the decision was made to go this route admitting an infraction and asking for re-instatement, why wait. Everything should have been put together and prepared. This decision gets made, the story comes out, everything should be waiting to just hit the 'send' button. Which should have happened the second Davis' story was online.
First, maybe it's already happened. Second...it turns out we had very good reasons for dragging our feet on the Preston situation, and I guess I'm just not going to be so quick to second-guess process here as I was then.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am

That's not what I mean.

First, maybe it's already happened. Second...it turns out we had very good reasons for dragging our feet on the Preston situation, and I guess I'm just not going to be so quick to second-guess process here as I was then.
Matt Taint's article stated the request hasn't been submitted yet, he could be totally wrong.

I agree that KU should take as long as it needs and be as cautious as it needs to be with this. I just think once you've committed to this approach, there's no reason to wait.

But, again, I could be over analyzing something that could be as simple as a Taint typo or misunderstanding of his information.