KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by jfish26 »

As much as we want to think things are more complex or sophisticated...it's very possible for it to be the case that the request needs to go directly to a particular person, and that person won't be in to receive it until a certain time. Or something like that.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The NCAA office is typically understaffed this time of year. One would think that everyone would be back in office from the Holidays, travel, vacations, etc.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

what bothers me about all this, and I'm including the Preston and Diallo situations, is that KU, or maybe it's just Self, seems to be constantly acting like they're waiting on the NCAA, only to find out later that KU was the one dragging its feet with information gathering or submitting stuff.

I mean, the assumption is that there is communication b/n the two and the NCAA is always asking for more stuff, or whatever, but it's frustrating to constantly be told they're waiting on the NCAA, only to later find out nothing's been submitted.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't recall KU dragging its feet with Diallo. Am I misremembering?

I do recall the NCAA contacting people in Africa to get receipts and paperwork for AAU tournament fees and concession stands.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:19 pm I don't recall KU dragging its feet with Diallo. Am I misremembering?

I do recall the NCAA contacting people in Africa to get receipts and paperwork for AAU tournament fees and concession stands.
maybe I shouldn't have included Diallo in that. But thought I'd remembered something about them getting everything together to be submitted shortly before the season started and that was still the case a couple games in.

Again, all this could be the NCAA asking for more shit before the official submissions...

Dook, AZ, etc. seemed to be able to handle their paperwork and investigations a lot faster.

At some point you gotta say fuck it. We're playing him, he sat out enough. Or fuck it, it's gonna be too late in the season to be worth it.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:19 pm I don't recall KU dragging its feet with Diallo. Am I misremembering?

maybe I shouldn't have included Diallo in that. But thought I'd remembered something about them getting everything together to be submitted shortly before the season started and that was still the case a couple games in.
Unfortunately, each individual case is running all together with me now.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The benefit to the curse of the KU big man is it's so consistent for so long you forget some of the bullshit.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 pm what bothers me about all this, and I'm including the Preston and Diallo situations, is that KU, or maybe it's just Self, seems to be constantly acting like they're waiting on the NCAA, only to find out later that KU was the one dragging its feet with information gathering or submitting stuff.

I mean, the assumption is that there is communication b/n the two and the NCAA is always asking for more stuff, or whatever, but it's frustrating to constantly be told they're waiting on the NCAA, only to later find out nothing's been submitted.
Well, in the case of Preston what happened is that we discovered that it was actually not beneficial to KU to press forward.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:01 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 pm what bothers me about all this, and I'm including the Preston and Diallo situations, is that KU, or maybe it's just Self, seems to be constantly acting like they're waiting on the NCAA, only to find out later that KU was the one dragging its feet with information gathering or submitting stuff.

Well, in the case of Preston what happened is that we discovered that it was actually not beneficial to KU to press forward.
Yeah, but we (the fans) know that because of the FBI case.

We were told up until he went to Bosnia that we were just waiting on a ruling from the ncaa.

Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Could part of that be because Self is aware some of his players are getting improper benefits from Adidas guys?...so he says 1 thing publicly, while dragging his feet behind closed doors making sure nothing is going to be discovered once they turn over stuff to the ncaa?

I think we all know that Self knows how the game is played. Gasnolla and Self are friends, and Gasnolla did everything he could to protect Self during the trial....so I just have a hard time believing Self was totally oblivious to what's been occurring in college basketball for the last 3+ decades (at least).

Maybe that's irrelevant. But Self has made himself look a bit foolish by making those statements, especially with Preston...where Self was saying 1 thing publicly and then later we found out it was different.

Either way, fuck the ncaa and their stupid rules....but at the same time, we should try to follow them until they change or risk looking dirty.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IIRC, we were waiting on NCAA, then they asked about some other stuff (perhaps the wire transfers) and that is when Preston's mom stopped cooperating and I believe even retained a lawyer.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:08 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Yeah, but we (the fans) know that because of the FBI case.

We were told up until he went to Bosnia that we were just waiting on a ruling from the ncaa.
When in fact it was a reinstatement situation at that point, right?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

So, if we get SDS, do we play more with two bigs, or he just takes all of Lightfoot's and McCormack's minutes?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 pm So, if we get SDS, do we play more with two bigs, or he just takes all of Lightfoot's and McCormack's minutes?
More 2-big than we've played last 2 games, but less than if we had a healthy Udoka.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 pm So, if we get SDS, do we play more with two bigs, or he just takes all of Lightfoot's and McCormack's minutes?
That's what I wondered too.

I guess it makes us more versatile, in that we can play two bigs or one depending on the situation.

But if there's a plan to play two bigs most of the time, that means we change what we do again, and we've already changed what we do when dok got hurt, again when he came back, and again when he got hurt again.

If the plan is to continue to pay one big most of the time, his addition ins't as big of a concern since Lawson will still play ~35 mpg. And I'm not sure how much better a rusty De Sousa is than Mitch and McCormack.

Deleted User 75

SDS has a decent shot..his free throw % shows that...plus like PhD said a few days ago, he'd be able to play the 4 unlike Dok....so dedric would still have some extra space.

If we get SDS back and aren't playing 2 bigs for a majority of the game I'll be disappointed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:26 pm
That's what I wondered too.

I guess it makes us more versatile, in that we can play two bigs or one depending on the situation.

But if there's a plan to play two bigs most of the time, that means we change what we do again, and we've already changed what we do when dok got hurt, again when he came back, and again when he got hurt again.

If the plan is to continue to pay one big most of the time, his addition ins't as big of a concern since Lawson will still play ~35 mpg. And I'm not sure how much better a rusty De Sousa is than Mitch and McCormack.
If only we had some way of knowing what to expect.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, not much better than Mitch? For what, maybe like 1-2 games?

Dude was our best big for both postseason tourneys.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

My reservations are based on the timing of this...which is unknown.

If the NCAA rules this week or next as was suggested, then great you get De Sousa back into the lineup ASAP. Mitch and Mac drop down on the depth chart, you play more two bigs (15 mpg or something)

But if it stretches out until sometime in Feb, then you try to integrate him, how does he play with Lawson, are there timing issues, are there spacing issues, does it impact team chemistry etc. Because we don't want to be tinkering with the rotation too late in the game.

Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Someone posted this comment:

"I encourage Silvio to hit the NCAA with a mega million $ suite if they fail immediate reinstatement. Case law, supported by global amateur practice, clearly shows he's likely to win. Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen big name law firms that would take this case, pro-bono....on contingency, in a heartbeat."

Would he really have a case?