BBQ

You Love It.
ousdahl

Re: BBQ

Post by ousdahl »

Oh, and sorry I didn’t make it to Jack Stack or Gates.

Lawrence got out of hand, after party in joco got even goofier, and next thing you know I slept all day Sunday until pretty much right before kickoff.

Was still gonna go anyway, but woke up to a crock pot full of lil smokies and thought eh close enough. 4.75/5
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:46 pmI like mayo.
you disgust me.

though I'd rather eat a jar of mayo than sit through another Kansas game like last night.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Soooo

any tips on ribs in the oven?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am Soooo

Yes. Don't do it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am Soooo

My grandma used to do them with sauerkraut and potatoes
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that sounds good!

I'm thinking more whatever meat is that combo of tasty and convenient to be the medium to introduce Beav to what I'm confident will be his new fave sauce, Arthur Bryant's Sweet Heat.

might try to smoke something proper, but with temps what they are here in the winter time, it can be hard to keep the grill consistently good and hot.

So in lieu, might try for oven ribs or something. My dad used to do ribs in the oven like folded up in foil and swimming in pineapple juice or something, then just cook low and slow.

or maybe I'll go even easier yet and do crock pot pork butt.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but maybe the question should be, if you were gonna cook any meat to smother in Sweet Heat, what would you go with?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Never had that sauce. You could go crock pot pork shoulder.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Or, since you prefer poultry in your BBQ, just do a pulled chicken.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea I do enjoy having my chicken pulled.

thighs in a crock pot tend to end up tasty too. Maybe more consistent than pork shoulder...afraid ours is too hot even on the "low" setting so the pork tends to need to be chopped anyway.

also considering just roasting/broiling some wings and serving the Sweet Heat on/with that. If it's mostly to intro beav to the sauce, would prob still do.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

why are you avoiding the grill again?

low Temps impact long smokes (sort of, I did a pork butt overnight on the green egg at -2....was fine, just opened my vents a little more and checked temp).

low temps don't impact high heat grill cooks like a chicken wing. I mean, even a smoked chicken wing is happening quick enough and high enough Temps that the outside temp impact us negligible
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

most nights this time of year by the time I get around to getting the grill hot it's already below freezing, and only gets colder. It's just been hit or miss in the past to keep the grill hot enough for long enough.

Admittedly, it's not the best grill. Pretty basic and lightweight, plus the lid doesn't fit on quite the same since the bear thrashing. I would/will get another one at some point but keep thinking about just moving too much to wanna invest in something like that right meow.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo

Apparently the new de facto leader of Haiti right meow is a cop-turned-gangster who operates under the street name:

Barbecue

In other words, Haiti sounding pretty tasty these days
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:45 am sooo

Apparently the new de facto leader of Haiti right meow is a cop-turned-gangster who operates under the street name:

Barbecue

In other words, Haiti sounding pretty tasty these days
You should go, I imagine there are deals to be had!

Reminds me of that SNL skit years ago for Bad Idea Jeans.
One of the cast members said something like "I was going to wear a condom, but I thought, when am I ever going back to Haiti"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

took my left over pulled pork rub and threw it on some chicken breasts, wrapped them in bacon, and smoked ‘em for a couple hours

holy jesus
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I had a can of tomato soup.
I will have your thing please.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ohh I’ve never had bbq tomato soup before…how long you gotta smoke it?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In Idaho Springs again today. So, fuck it, why not, I’m getting Yards again today too.

In line behind a bunch of yall tourists who didn’t bother to even look at the menu until it came time to order.

And, after much deliberation, I shit you know, yall’s ordering chicken tenders.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Welp, went for something new at Yards.

Usually do brisket, which is consistently good there. And I know you guys recommend getting chicken otherwise, but otherwise trying something I don’t normally:

Ribs!

Really really freaking good. Tender, juicy, pulls off the bone easily but doesn’t fall off the bone. The dry rub was all the spice it needed - tho if you’re gonna do Yards sauce, I prefer the Bold, then the Chipotle Spicy, then the Sweet. They have an extra spicy too I think, but you have to ask for it.

Side of tater salad was real good too. The right balance of a little mustardy and a little creamy.

But it also reminded my why I don’t often get ribs. They’re kind of a pain to eat. Just get pulled pork and it’s pretty much the same meat but less work.

Plus, half a rack and one side was like $21 bucks. Just getting a pulled pork sammich would have been like 13 for a bigger, more easily consumable portion, still with a side.

But ribs do satisfy something primordial, getting to chomp the meat off the bone. And you get more dry rub spice and more bark than pulled pork. Glad I did it, at least today.

Now let’s hope the ribs don’t make me shit the back seat of this bumble babe’s car.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also another group of y’all tourists came in and, again I shit you not, has a Dallas Cowboys shirt on but also a hat on that says, “Live Local.”

Um, about that…