an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
dolomite
Contributor

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by dolomite »

Yea- best not to borrow trouble.🙂
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

UAE planned to use their position as host of COP28 to…wait for it…make oil deals
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:14 am UAE planned to use their position as host of COP28 to…wait for it…make oil deals
I read that Biden is skipping the meeting.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:49 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:14 am UAE planned to use their position as host of COP28 to…wait for it…make oil deals
i’m so soured by all of these such meetings

they matter not when the pledges are nothing more than public perception propaganda
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Portugal ran entirely on 100% renewable energy for 6 straight days

(Let’s make this happen for the entire world!)
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

:(
So in other words as a species, we’re fucked.🙁
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:07 pm :(
So in other words as a species, we’re fucked.🙁
Every species on the planet is fucked in the never-ending timeline scheme of things. Just a matter of how long we manage to avoid the cut line.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

2023 hottest year on record

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... peratures/#

(not sure why the graphic didn’t embed properly)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

if I ignore this thread will it go away and take the problems with it?
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:50 pm if I ignore this thread will it go away and take the problems with it?
^^^ to the nth degree.

(I haven't opened Trad's newest post yet.)
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Across America, clean energy plants are being banned faster than they're being built

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/inv ... 841063007/
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:08 am Across America, clean energy plants are being banned faster than they're being built

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/inv ... 841063007/
If you actually care (which I sort of doubt)....

Thankfully, there are also counties and states that have incentives for building these solar and wind farms.

Mcdonough County in IL is one I know of specifically. Some of the cities in these counties (Macomb IL is one in the aforementioned county) have also changed zoning regulations and created opportunity zones for these green energy facilities to be built. I also believe there are state of IL opportunity zones/or programs that have allowed for all of the materials used to be purchased tax free if from within the state of IL. On projects that are 10mil+ in construction costs, these tax breaks on materials are huge incentives. One of the main challenges is being located near the power grid/substations. This also saves millions in construction costs. So creating zoning that allows this type of use, as well as having the opportunity zones strategically placed are the main ways the GOOD counties are trying to entice developers to come to their area.

One of the major hurdels/negatives in the development of these green energy facilities is that many of the financial incentives provided by the government can't be funded until the end of construction.....so it really limits the size and scope of these developments in many instances.

Side note: as much as farmers say they hate selling their land to these green energy developers, in central IL, they all break right about that $75k/acre mark.

Second side note: the counties that deincentivize solar and wind are only hurting themselves in the long run. Especially the very rural ones. In time, their energy costs to their population will reflect their bad choices.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

If some counties want to continue to screw themselves and their citizens over by banning this type of construction then that's their choice. Other people are more than happy to swoop in and take advantage. It's a piece of the puzzle as innovations continue to be explored. It would be fascinating to see where the US power grid is in 100 years.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:14 am If some counties want to continue to screw themselves and their citizens over by banning this type of construction then that's their choice. Other people are more than happy to swoop in and take advantage. It's a piece of the puzzle as innovations continue to be explored. It would be fascinating to see where the US power grid is in 100 years.
It's hard to paint with a broad brush for some of this stuff...some of the counties or townships I am have dealt with that have banned (or made it really hard) are small and weren't really appealing candidates for development at this stage in the game anyway. Or some counties have a significant amount of land occupied by nature preserves or water (again, wouldn't be great candidates right now anyway).

And I am sure you can find plenty of these counties that are deep red amd are banning it to protect coal or simply to own the libs.

We've got a long way to go before these small % of uncooperative counties are impacting the ability of the country as a whole to make progress with "green energy".
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

…simply to own the libs.

you’re fooling yourself if you think it’s anything BUT this

i can understand not providing tax funds to offset costs, or any other such moves, but just outright banning?

seems pretty transparent to me
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

do you want to live next door to a 1000 acre solar farm. me neither.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yay!! mich has graced us with his presence

there’s nobody’s opinion, no matter how ignorant or poorly thought out, that we appreciate more!!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:22 am do you want to live next door to a 1000 acre solar farm. me neither.
That's exactly why zoning exists.

I wouldn't want to live next to one either. People also don't like living next to industrial complexes or power plants/substations. So having strategic zoning can keep everyone happy.