an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by Deleted User 89 »

KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

youtube or fuck off.

Peer review is a tool of the government to control our lives. You're not thinking critically for yourself or with any nuance when you read the opinions of experts. What's the impact factor for nature...40? You think I'm going to believe anything in a scientific journal that's that well respected? Find me something less credible, like a video of some guy in his basement.

Christine Shearer probably has short hair and wants a career....someone tell her she can't have it all.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

could prob just as easily go in the weather thread, buuut...

Temperatures climbed to 90 degrees in Anchorage, Alaska, on Thursday, breaking the all-time heat record for the northerly city.

Anchorage's previous record high (at least since 1952) was 85 degrees Fahrenheit, set on June 14, 1969.

The city of 300,000 people also had its hottest June ever, according to the National Weather Service. Average temperature for the month was 60.5 degrees, 5.3 degrees above normal. It was the 16th consecutive month with above-average temperatures...

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/05/73890530 ... -on-record
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Big shake in SoCal.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A glacier melted in Iceland and they’re putting up a plaque to memorialize it

https://www.sciencealert.com/iceland-ha ... ate-change

"Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as a glacier.

In the next 200 years all our glaciers are expected to follow the same path.

This monument is to acknowledge that we know what is happening and what needs to be done

Only you know if we did it."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

meh

I ain't worried, because Senator James Inhofe, who chaired the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works (EPW) from 2003 to 2007 and again from 2015 to 2017, (so you know he knows what he's doing), ain't worried:

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

so

much

ignorance
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:24 pm so

much

ignorance
So

Much

Payoffs
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

pretty much
Deleted User 89

just like those that drive over-sized trucks and SUVs (that don’t need them), your average american isn’t going to stop consuming beef (and pork to a lesser extent), and most farmers aren’t going to change their practices so long as the government keeps subsidizing the status quo
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Hope?

Giant Pumice Raft Floating Toward Australia Could Help Replenish Great Barrier Reef

A massive raft made of pumice stones is floating toward Australia, carrying marine organisms that scientists say could help replenish Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

Some of the stones are as large as basketballs and have formed a giant sheet stretching about 58 square miles — nearly the size of Washington, D.C.

An explosion from an underwater volcano near the tiny island nation of Tonga is thought to have produced the raft, according to NASA.

...Scott Bryan, an associate professor at Queensland University of Technology, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. that the raft is floating toward Australia and will hit the coast in about seven to 12 months. He says by that time, the raft will be "covered in a whole range of organisms of algae and barnacles and corals and crabs and snails and worms."

"Each piece of pumice is a rafting vehicle. It's a home and a vehicle for marine organisms to attach and hitch a ride across the deep ocean to get to Australia," Bryan told The Guardian...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... EsHLSFFQhQ
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

dispersal happens

other than a temporary boost in biomass and diversity, i don’t really see how this necessarily helps the reef...though, i suppose the mixing could generate novel forms that would be better suited to deal with the issues that plague the great barrier reef.

i wouldn’t imagine that the tongan diversity is all that different from that which exists off the coast of australia currently, but maybe it’s more resilient to bleaching.
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 am dispersal happens

other than a temporary boost in biomass and diversity, i don’t really see how this necessarily helps the reef...though, i suppose the mixing could generate novel forms that would be better suited to deal with the issues that plague the great barrier reef.

i wouldn’t imaging that the tongan diversity is all that different from that which exists off the coast of australia currently, but maybe it’s more resilient to bleaching.
I was disappointed as I read the article that it didn't address that, what makes them think this menagerie is different from, more likely to survive, than what's already been killed off?
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

Feral wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 am
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 am dispersal happens

i wouldn’t imaging that the tongan diversity is all that different from that which exists off the coast of australia currently, but maybe it’s more resilient to bleaching.
I was disappointed as I read the article that it didn't address that, what makes them think this menagerie is different from, more likely to survive, than what's already been killed off?
and, tonga is not only in the pacific, but relatively close to australia...so, it’s likely that this isn’t a novel occurrence from an evolutionary perspective. the australian biota is likely quite closely related phylogenetically to the tongan biota, but i’m not sure.

i’d be more “impressed” if the raft originated further east, personally. say, from hawaii, the galapagos, or coastal latin america.