Weather

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Weather

Post by ousdahl »

7 miles from Fraser. Firefighters reporting one afternoon of strong southwest winds could take out the whole town. Estimated containment date not til Halloween. Two and a half more months.

Do a rain dance, folks.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

defixione wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:07 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 pm 2 more wildfires in the area: one by Cameron pass one county north close enough to see the main smoke cloud from here, and one by the Williams Fork reservoir in my county about a half hour west of me.

Pray for rain.
On our way into La Junta, we could see the smoke drifting all along the front range down to Walsenburg and literally hiding the mountains.
Side point. I don't know if there is a worse drive in the USA than La Junta to Walsenberg. Gross.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:13 am

Side point. I don't know if there is a worse drive in the USA than La Junta to Walsenberg. Gross.
I did that drive on the way to Mesa Verde. Nothing there, at all. I think we averaged over 100 MPH in Mrs 99's minivan.
Defense. Rebounds.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:00 am 7 miles from Fraser. Firefighters reporting one afternoon of strong southwest winds could take out the whole town. Estimated containment date not til Halloween. Two and a half more months.

Do a rain dance, folks.
Not good. Not good at all. Always liked the town of Fraser.
Holidaysmore - 2005
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

defixione wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:07 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 pm 2 more wildfires in the area: one by Cameron pass one county north close enough to see the main smoke cloud from here, and one by the Williams Fork reservoir in my county about a half hour west of me.

Pray for rain.
On our way into La Junta, we could see the smoke drifting all along the front range down to Walsenburg and literally hiding the mountains.
Another side note: It's annual tarantula migration season and we didn't see one.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Counterpoint: driving anywhere in Columbia, Missouri.
Ain't no seats
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/unfavora ... 400-acres/
Driven by strong winds and low humidity, the Williams Fork Fire grew by 2,731 acres to the south and southeast Wednesday.

The fire, which totaled 9,427 acres as of Thursday morning, remains 3% contained on its northwestern flank and is holding west of the Williams Fork River.

Officials said the focus Thursday would be to hold and contain the south and southeast sides of the fire. A favorable weather forecast could help the effort with wetting rains, which could allow fire managers to strengthen and increase containment lines.

Warmer and drier weather conditions persist over the week and will again promote potential fire spread.

There are no evacuation orders for residential areas in the Fraser Valley. The fire did not grow toward Fraser or Winter Park, remaining 7 miles northeast of the fire at the nearest point. A series of alpine ridges and peaks lie between the fire and the Fraser Valley.
I hadn’t seen the bold part yet, and may be the best news I’ve hear so far. Hopefully the terrain acts as a natural barrier, especially if peaks and ridges, presumably above treeline, just don’t have the fuel to keep the fire spreading?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Meanwhile, it lightly sprinkled for all of 45 seconds yesterday, and I had to run outside all like...

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:02 pm Meanwhile, it lightly sprinkled for all of 45 seconds yesterday, and I had to run outside all like...

"You're not as athletic as Tim Robbins, not even close." - Newtonhawk
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

We have been experiencing extreme heat for about the past week in Bay Area. To make matters worse the last few days it smells like campfire if you step outside. All of the outdoor areas are covered in fine ash and the closest fire to us is at least 20 miles away
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

zsn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:56 pm We have been experiencing extreme heat for about the past week in Bay Area. To make matters worse the last few days it smells like campfire if you step outside. All of the outdoor areas are covered in fine ash and the closest fire to us is at least 20 miles away
When I lived in SF from 73-93, there were three thunderstorms, it snowed twice, and it got over 100° twice.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

thats one reason the homeless seem to like it there.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:29 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:02 pm Meanwhile, it lightly sprinkled for all of 45 seconds yesterday, and I had to run outside all like...

"You're not as athletic as Tim Robbins, not even close." - Newtonhawk
^^^
plus check out that wingspan!
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

We had a nasty thunderstorm a few days ago. It was probably the third or fourth in the 23 years we’ve lived here. Also a little rain in August, almost never heard of. Weird weather indeed!
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Time to GTFO SE Louisiana
Defense. Rebounds.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

A friend just texted me photos of his place near Lake George, CO. He said there was a mandatory evacuation ordered and there were C130s dropping retardant that were flying so low that you could reach up and touch them. The sheriff let him stay and the fire was contained to only 300 acres.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

3.11” at my house in DFW last night. Pretty crazy for this time of year.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

First good hard frost of the season here this morning.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man, we get some wild temp swings this time of year.

Still in the 70s or even 80s midday, depending on where you’re at, but with nighttime lows around or even below freezing. That’s like a legit 50 plus degree temp change, just from day to night.