Weather

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Weather

Post by Shirley »

Tdub, I've been reading about flood warnings all over the Pacific NW and wondering if you're getting much of the precipitation?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:19 pm Tdub, I've been reading about flood warnings all over the Pacific NW and wondering if you're getting much of the precipitation?
we're getting lots and lots of it (for this particular area). Last weekend it snowed, then rained then rained more yesterday it was 64 and raining. Rains all week then snow again this weekend.

Very rare to have 7 or 8 days of precipitation in a row here. Hell it's rare to have 3 days in a row. We only averaged like 12" of rain a year and 12" of snow a year.

no flooding here though. I live in a canyon so occasionally we'll get some flood water down the creek when it rolls off the wheat fields and down the canyon draws. But the soil is pretty damn dry around here it sucks up a lot of it. If it rains super hard and we get that clay/mud crust that stops the water from soaking in.....then we get some floods. Haven't seen that this year though.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Glad to hear things aren't that bad for you.

Still got hot water, because 99 still hasn't bathed, from what I hear.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yea, send him over and tell him to bring the bourbon
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

While I have showered recently, Surely brings up an interesting point.
About once or twice a week, we loose all water in the house. Nuttin. This lasts for about 20 minutes then starts working again. We contacted our home warranty people this morning and are waiting to hear from a plumber. Me thinks it's the water softener.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:52 am yea, send him over and tell him to bring the bourbon
I'll let his wife know.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:56 am While I have showered recently, Surely brings up an interesting point.
About once or twice a week, we loose all water in the house. Nuttin. This lasts for about 20 minutes then starts working again. We contacted our home warranty people this morning and are waiting to hear from a plumber. Me thinks it's the water softener.
Sorry to hear that.

Personally, I can't stand water softeners, because it makes you feel like you can't wash all the soap off of yourself at the end of a shower.

Then again, if you never shower...
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:58 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:56 am While I have showered recently, Surely brings up an interesting point.
Sorry to hear that.

Personally, I can't stand water softeners, because it makes you feel like you can't wash all the soap off of yourself at the end of a shower.

Then again, if you never shower...
if I didn't have a water softener, I wouldn't have any pipes left.....just solid rods of mineral.

But, in general, I agree with you.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

water softener shouldn't impact the flow of water unless the outlet is clogged or the valves aren't function correctly. Even if the softener was turned off water should still be able to flow through the cabinet.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hey winter is gonna finally show up

low of -5 Friday, high on Saturday is 4 degrees, Sunday 7 degrees for a high.

better make sure I got my shit organized and animals situated.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yup

-4 on Sunday
High of 1 on Monday
3 on Tues.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:01 am
water softener shouldn't impact the flow of water unless the outlet is clogged or the valves aren't function correctly. Even if the softener was turned off water should still be able to flow through the cabinet.
99, care to tell us what this problem turned out to be, if you know?

I might learn something.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Hooray for downtown Chicago this morning!
Can weather people stop referring to the shit that is falling from the sky as a "wintery mix"? That sounds like something good to eat.
I call it shit. 35 degrees, rain, and 20+ mph wind/s. Makes for a lovely walk to work.
25 miles away they are supposed to get about 5 inches of snow. I would happily take that.

Friday in to Saturday we are supposed to get a legit snow storm. Then below 0 temps on Sunday.

People have been saying how mild of a winter we have been having. Well people, Mother Nature is going to give you a nice ha ha ha and a fuck you in a few days.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kansas/Lawrence getting some good amounts of snow.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:16 am Kansas/Lawrence getting some good amounts of snow.
Looks like I’m at about 3-4” and counting. Really heavy, wet stuff. Didn’t run my fairly-piddly ‘lectric snow-thrower last year, hopefully it’s no worse for the non-wear.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:02 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:01 am

They said they thought it was a valve in the water softener. We got it replaced. Home warranty took care of a bunch of the cost.
99, care to tell us what this problem turned out to be, if you know?

I might learn something.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We got 13 here and a F150 got stuck right outside my house.
I went out to help him shovel and brought some sand but we couldn't get him outta there.
He said his 4 wheel drive was set to on but either he didn't know how to actually turn it on or it was broken -- his front wheels weren't doing shit.

Finally the plow truck came around and he managed to get up the hill.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Looks like they have revised the forecast here. -10 on Sunday.
Defense. Rebounds.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

48 degrees in Buffalo.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:29 am Looks like they have revised the forecast here. -10 on Sunday.
hey look at that, they did here too

now we get 5 days with single digit highs and lows in the negative. Lowest it's supposed to get here is -9 though, you win!
Just Ledoux it