Weather

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Weather

Post by KUTradition »

that’s gotta be fake news or a false flag operation

i read right here on this board that folks east of the Mississippi don’t have fire problems
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Supposed to be close to 90 degrees today and over 90 the next few days.
Sorry, 90 degrees isn't college football weather to me. I kind of want to watch the TCU/CU game and other games today but feel I should be outside being that there is a decent chance it's going to snow in the next two months.

Not bad outdoor options for today.....
AVP tournament (a mile from where I live)
Hang out at the beach (anywhere from across the street to 10 miles north or south)
Bike ride (either along the lake or "neighborhood/s tour")
White Sux game (6:00pm)
North Coast Music Fest (probably mostly a lot of noise but some decent music)
West Loop Art Fest (would be a bit of a commute)
Jazz Fest (about a mile from where I live)
Chicago Football Classic (Central State University/Mississippi Valley State University - BAD college football but the bands and people watching might be good)
WingOut (probably too hot to be outside eating wings)
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The "normal" high in Minneapolis is 78, it's supposed to be 100 today.

Poor 99.

At least he married well.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:59 am The "normal" high in Minneapolis is 78, it's supposed to be 100 today.

Poor 99.

At least he married well.
The highlight of my day (week? month? year? decade?) would be if he can find a place/sign that shows the temp is 99 degrees and he takes a pic of him in the photo with the sign and uses it as his avatar on here.

As far as how he married, my guess is he married up :D but in/after all my interactions with him - I strongly believe his wife got herself a winner too.

P.S. If I am not mistaken, that very well may have been your 10,000th post on here.

your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

99 took his daughter and granddaughter to the north shore of Lake Superior where it was a balmy 73F.

97 when we got back into town though.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:35 pm 99 took his daughter and granddaughter to the north shore of Lake Superior where it was a balmy 73F.

99's going all the Jimmy?

https://youtu.be/__pA9BxlkhE?si=z4xVkEizMRYcviwF
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:35 pm 99 took his daughter and granddaughter to the north shore of Lake Superior where it was a balmy 73F.

Wholly shit! 99 is going full MICH on us. :lol:

Side notes....
The coldest water I ever swam in during a summer month was Lake Superior.
It was ridiculously cold. If I recall correctly, the water temp was only in upper 50s.

I was in Duluth Minnesota in August of 1975 or 1976.
I got out of a car and saw some burnout riding a bicycle. Guy looked at me and asked, "What the fuck are you looking at (asshole?)"? That was my first encounter with a Duluthian.
The very next thing I noticed was the horrendous odor. The city stunk.
I have since heard good things about Duluth. I have no desire to ever go back.

Chicago 9/4/23
My mother (who is confined inside) asked me if it was hot outside yesterday.
My response was.... At the lakefront (Lake Michigan) in the shade with the breeze - people are wearing sweatshirts and light jackets and seem to be comfortable.
In the sun, without a breeze, away from the lake, it is in the low 90s with fairly high humidity, and people are dripping with sweat just walking around, and they look miserable.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's amazing to me that the media hasn't yet processed that everything we think we know about projecting weather is now wrong.

Hurricane Lee, in the Atlantic, is now projected to reach Category 4. I'll wager this guess will prove woefully optimistic by about this time tomorrow.

The experts are also projecting Lee will likely turn North at sea, and not directly impact land.

Maybe that's right, maybe it's wrong. But if we're wrong about strength, why would we be right about track?

We really need to digest and internalize that the whole fucking curve has shifted at least two standard deviations to the right. Things we thought were extreme, are now normal. Things we thought were "once in a thousand years" are now "once in five or ten years".

The game has changed, and we have to stop expecting the old rules to apply.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:37 am It's amazing to me that the media hasn't yet processed that everything we think we know about projecting weather is now wrong.

Hurricane Lee, in the Atlantic, is now projected to reach Category 4. I'll wager this guess will prove woefully optimistic by about this time tomorrow.

The experts are also projecting Lee will likely turn North at sea, and not directly impact land.

Maybe that's right, maybe it's wrong. But if we're wrong about strength, why would we be right about track?

We really need to digest and internalize that the whole fucking curve has shifted at least two standard deviations to the right. Things we thought were extreme, are now normal. Things we thought were "once in a thousand years" are now "once in five or ten years".

Yeah, but gasoline here is $3.79/gallon, so drill baby, drill!
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:56 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:37 am It's amazing to me that the media hasn't yet processed that everything we think we know about projecting weather is now wrong.

Yeah, but gasoline here is $3.79/gallon, so drill baby, drill!
$4.90/gal is the best I can find around me.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

$3.15 in Texas. Because Biden.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

4.92 here.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Saudis are putting the squeeze on us to help Trump. And Russia. Per barrel the price is reflecting the reduced output. We basically arm the Saudis and it is time they put their bone saws away and start acting like an ally.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hurricane!
My SIL/BIL and MIL will be in the thick of it.
We just happened to be bouncing up into the mountains this weekend so we'll avoid it.

BIL is a scallop farmer so dunno what he's gonna do with his boat.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hope everyone stays safe.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

High tide in ~ 1 hour, hope your BIL's scallop farm isn't ruined.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub, is it leaf peeping season in the mountains you mention you're bouncing to?

we're overdue for the aspens to start turning here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxLgqn-LvTR/?hl=en
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

We demand a weather update, pdub!
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BIL had to tend to his boat and their power was out for most of the day but I guess the hurricane/storm weakened more than projected.

I think winds topped out at 55 with two inches of rain instead of the 70 and four they expected.

We lost power up here for a minute and lost internet ( still out ). Winds constant probably 20 mph, gusts 30. White capped the lake but little rain so did things pretty normal ( sans a planned fire pit bc the wind ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, but how's the leaf peeping?