Weather

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Weather

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:15 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 am We got very lucky. The tornado was on a direct path to my house (indeed, the cell from which it dropped passed directly over my house), but it lifted between touchdowns on that path.
Good to hear. I didn't even get a drop of rain...lol. Watching the news, I was getting nervous, so I spent some time buttoning down things in my backyard like umbrellas, patio cushions, pergola awning, etc....nothing but a little bit of wind.
It was wild. Sky turned that really bad shade of green, we huddled all the carbon-based life forms into a couple rooms in the basement, all that jazz. Kids took turns cranking the hand-powered weather radio battery, just in case.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Glad you family and house are safe. Pretty scary stuff.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:39 am Glad your family and house are safe. Pretty scary stuff.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 am We got very lucky. The tornado was on a direct path to my house (indeed, the cell from which it dropped passed directly over my house), but it lifted between touchdowns on that path.
The video was incredible. Glad you and others here are well. I read somewhere that Jesse Newell's place was going to be a direct hit before it lightened up a bit.

That tornado was so hard to follow because of the massive rain around it. Never seen pictures and video of a tornado like that. The only thing I've seen close to that in Kansas was the Greensburg tornado that was greater than 1/2 mile wide in 2007.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:12 am destruction just south of the wetlands, south side of Lawrence
Driving into Lawrence this morning you could literally see the path that tornado took. Crazy.

I woke up yesterday and could 'feel' it in the air that the weather was going to be unstable. I left work early because I did not want to get caught in the storm and probably 45 minutes later that tornado blew right over where I would have been driving.
Down in South-Central Kansas, there were spotters all over the road just waiting. It was definitely a bizarre atmosphere, you're right. Thankfully nothing occurred down here.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Glad you are all OK. Stay safe out there people. Very scary indeed.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Glad to hear that you and the fam are okay, fish. Scary times when you are in a direct path of a tornado. Watching the news last night Gary Lezak made it seem like this was a rare occurrence for a tornado that large. Got me thinking that the only really large tornado that I have been even remotely close to was back in 90 with the one that hit Hesston.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

The good news is that's a 1 in 20 year kind of tornado. Probably won't see one like that again for a long time.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Andover 91
Just Ledoux it
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:30 am Glad to hear that you and the fam are okay, fish. Scary times when you are in a direct path of a tornado. Watching the news last night Gary Lezak made it seem like this was a rare occurrence for a tornado that large. Got me thinking that the only really large tornado that I have been even remotely close to was back in 90 with the one that hit Hesston.
I stood on my parents front porch and watched that tornado tear through Hesston. We were about a half to three-quarters of a mile away from it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

lobster wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:00 pm The good news is that's a 1 in 20 year kind of tornado. Probably won't see one like that again for a long time.
Not directed at you specifically, but: these "once in a generation"-type weather events sure seem to be happening a lot! Wonder what's going on.
Deleted User 104

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:10 pm
lobster wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:00 pm The good news is that's a 1 in 20 year kind of tornado. Probably won't see one like that again for a long time.
Not directed at you specifically, but: these "once in a generation"-type weather events sure seem to be happening a lot! Wonder what's going on.
It's possible you will see another tornado in your life go near your home or even over your home, but I think it's highly unlikely you will see a huge one like yesterday's again. Of course, I could be wrong.

I lived in one of those Aberdeen duplex's in 2003 when that F2 went through southwest Lawrence. It went over the duplex I was inside. We were very lucky that it only did mild damage to our duplex (but my roommate had his car destroyed, and our neighbors had to move out due to severe roof damage). I was told the odds of that happening are 1 in a million. I hope that's true. Once was enough for me, and that was just an F2! We had no basement.

Fish, did your ears pop yesterday like you were on an airplane? That happened to me in 2003 right before it brushed our duplex.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i have an idea...
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Wasn't there an F4 that took basically that same path about 10 years ago?
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

douglas co. sheriff’s office posted a route on their twitter, based on damage assessed thus far

https://twitter.com/DGSOSheriff/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw
noosh

Post by noosh »

Fuck yes! Weather!

How funny is it that no matter where you go in this country everyone's like "OH SHIT Y'ALL, OHIO WEATHER IS CRAZY. JUST WAIT 5 MINS IT'LL CHANGE"

Shut the FUCK up with that gay ass shit!!!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 pm
i have an idea...
is it The Good Lord smiting us for giving rights to the quee...never mind, heh heh.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Holy smokes, Lobster! I had just moved out of Aberdeen Apts. I was still working at a place on Wakarusa Dr. I was outside watching the sky when that 2003 tornado touched down in the valley. We could instantly know when it touched down (too low in the valley for us to see it directly) because the tornado changed colors from the debris it started carrying. Insulation began raining on us. That’s when I decided to head indoors and hug a water pipe (no basement).
Deleted User 104

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 pm Holy smokes, Lobster! I had just moved out of Aberdeen Apts. I was still working at a place on Wakarusa Dr. I was outside watching the sky when that 2003 tornado touched down in the valley. We could instantly know when it touched down (too low in the valley for us to see it directly) because the tornado changed colors from the debris it started carrying. Insulation began raining on us. That’s when I decided to head indoors and hug a water pipe (no basement).
Interesting. I never actually saw the tornado with my eyes and had no idea it was coming until it was too late to do anything. I noticed the light rain was going horizontal, and I thought that was odd, but ignored it. The siren went off and then 5 minutes later, our apartment feels like an airplane for about 4 seconds. My roommate said he saw someone's screen door go flying across the yard. He parked in the back and his car was toast. My car was parked in the front and was mostly left untouched. We lived in a ditch area, which was probably the biggest reason why it didn't do severe damage to our place. There's a lot more funny details that happened that day, but I'll leave those out for now.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

I hope you two'll be friends again.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...