Weather

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Weather

Post by ousdahl »

You have no idea how cold this drunk dude at the crooked creek saloon said it’s gonna get here
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

We are getting fucking CRANKED here is Western Washington.

100+ mph winds, over 3 feet of snow on the passes. Damn
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:11 pm We are getting fucking CRANKED here is Western Washington.

yep...thats headed to me shortly. got 50mph winds with gusts to 65. Supposed to be over 75mph tomorrow. good times ... Passes all closed for whiteout conditions.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:50 pm
Overlander wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:11 pm We are getting fucking CRANKED here is Western Washington.

yep...thats headed to me shortly. got 50mph winds with gusts to 65. Supposed to be over 75mph tomorrow. good times ... Passes all closed for whiteout conditions.
Perfect weekend for my wife’s best friend to come up for a visit
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

oh indeed...
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:55 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:50 pm

Perfect weekend for my wife’s best friend to come up for a visit
I've read this story before...
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“bombogenesis”

now they’re (al roker) just making shit up
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I had to google it, but it look like a thing.

Bombogenesis, a term used by meteorologists, occurs when a midlatitude (the latitudes between the tropics and polar regions) cyclone rapidly intensifies, or strengthens, over a 24 hour period. This intensification is represented by a drop in millibars, a measurement of pressure used in meteorology.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Bombogenesis was my nickname in High School.
Ok, it wasn't. Might be my alias when I make reservations at restaurants going forward.

Back to the weather.
Is it bad that I am actually looking forward to the projected forecast for tomorrow?

Mid 30 degrees......
Heavy snow and blowing snow possible. Total snow accumulations greater than 6 inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph.
Bring it on!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:45 am Bombogenesis was my nickname in High School.
Ok, it wasn't. Might be my alias when I make reservations at restaurants going forward.

Back to the weather.
Is it bad that I am actually looking forward to the projected forecast for tomorrow?

Mid 30 degrees......
Heavy snow and blowing snow possible. Total snow accumulations greater than 6 inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph.
Bring it on!
Chicago light breeze inbound.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

6 inches of fresh champagne powder here in Omaha this morning. Wish we had a ski hill to enjoy it on. Wasting the good stuff here on us flatlanders.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Snow Creek!

(i know that’s not close to you)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Moderately-nasty ice storm brewing in my part of KC. Roads are significantly slicker now than they were even three hours ago.

My 80-year-old mother lives about three miles from me, and has a sloped driveway. When I dropped my five-year-old off with her, she mentioned that before I come back today, she'll put salt down.

"No, you absolutely will not," I said.

She responds, "it's not too cold for salt to work, it's not a big deal," she responds.

"If you fall and break your hip, you freeze to death and [the guppy] will be alone inside. [My brother or I] should be doing this for you anyway, and you should especially not be doing this with [the guppy] over."
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it's 2 degrees right now, snowing hard and icy. Ive got to have my cutting station set up outside. I should have stayed home. my hands are numb ha.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:23 am Snow Creek!

(i know that’s not close to you)
This is as good as it gets around here:

https://skicrescent.com/
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Ventured out to get some dog food/people food. I personally love driving in nasty snow. When the roads are empty and it's super cold and dry, it feels like what I imagine driving on the moon feels like; a crunchy, fine dust. We've gotten maybe 7 inches of snow so far with a few more hours left to go. It's 5 degrees with a -16 wind chill so not too bad yet. Got in and out of the pet store and Target pretty quick. Could have driven around for a few hours but I had to get back logged on for work. Boring!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

5 here. No snow, not much wind. I think most of the snow will go South of us.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:41 pm Ventured out to get some dog food/people food. I personally love driving in nasty snow. When the roads are empty and it's super cold and dry, it feels like what I imagine driving on the moon feels like; a crunchy, fine dust. We've gotten maybe 7 inches of snow so far with a few more hours left to go. It's 5 degrees with a -16 wind chill so not too bad yet. Got in and out of the pet store and Target pretty quick. Could have driven around for a few hours but I had to get back logged on for work. Boring!
Snow is fun as hell.

Ice is dangerous, because people think their vehicles are cheat codes. Sorry, Bubba, no amount of aftermarket window tint is gonna make your F-250 work on ice if you don't know how to drive on ice.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Saw one forecast we might get highs in the negative teens here next week.

My reaction was 1. Yea right that’s click bait-y, maybe lows yea but not highs, and 2. Negative teens! What is this, a Nirvana song?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:41 pm Ventured out to get some dog food/people food. I personally love driving in nasty snow. When the roads are empty and it's super cold and dry, it feels like what I imagine driving on the moon feels like; a crunchy, fine dust. We've gotten maybe 7 inches of snow so far with a few more hours left to go. It's 5 degrees with a -16 wind chill so not too bad yet. Got in and out of the pet store and Target pretty quick. Could have driven around for a few hours but I had to get back logged on for work. Boring!
i absolutely love driving in fresh snow