Nikki Haley

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Nikki Haley

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:35 am I can't help but wonder how the kids that Ajit Singh Randhawa taught at Voorhees feel about that.
...The model minority myth has remained one of white supremacy’s most enduring and successful divide-and-conquer strategies. The educational and economic success of some Asian Americans has been used as a cudgel against Black people, in particular, who continue to be told by GOP politicians to stop blaming racism for their problems. Instead, they are commanded to work hard and pull themselves up by “their bootstraps,” even when they remain “bootless.” It’s a myth that gaslights Americans about systemic racism and our individual role in enabling and enforcing white supremacy.

According to a 2021 poll, a majority of Republicans believed that minorities are more favored than white people, as evidenced by the success of some people of color. Last year, a poll found nearly half of Republicans believed to some extent in the white supremacist "great replacement" conspiracy theory, which claims white Americans are being deliberately “replaced” by non-white immigrants.

As such, we no longer need “welfare” and “handouts,” such as affirmative action, food stamps and the child tax credit, all of which help lift communities of color out of generational poverty.

Haley should actually spend her campaign thanking and uplifting Black activists and protesters who are fighting for equality. After all, if it wasn’t for the civil rights movement, she wouldn’t be in America. The movement pressured Democrats to introduce the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, which put an end to the national origins quota put in place in the 1920s to keep out the original “invaders,” which included Italians, Eastern European Jews and Asians.

As a result of that law, young educated Asian men, like my father and Haley’s father, had a chance to receive a Willy Wonka golden ticket to America and become successful.

Being a model minority, however, wasn’t enough to protect my father and Haley’s father from white supremacy. My father and his brother arrived in San Francisco in 1966 as students during the civil rights movement. They quickly replaced their shalwar kameez and kurtas with grotesque bell bottoms. They grew out their hair, listened to Jimi Hendrix, studied during the day, worked at night, saved up their money, and built a small community with other single South Asian men in their 20s. A few years later, in 1969, Ajit Singh Randhawa, a Sikh Indian immigrant, moved to segregated Bamberg, South Carolina with his wife and family to accept a teaching position at Voorhees College, a historically Black institution.

Our fathers were two immigrants of color trying to achieve their American dream at the same time in different states by working hard, gaining an education and avoiding trouble. But none of it mattered because they weren’t white. Haley has previously recounted how her father was racially profiled at a produce stand. An immigration officer once accosted my father for no reason and said, “You Arabs come here only to f--- our American girls,” and ordered him deported. (My father is Pakistani, but bigots aren’t really into nuance or details.)

Being a successful, well-educated Republican didn’t protect Haley either. In 2010, Jake Knotts, then a South Carolina state senator, said, “We already got one raghead in the White House, we don’t need a raghead in the governor’s mansion.” (Former President Barack Obama is neither Muslim nor Arab, but again, bigots aren’t into details; Knotts later apologized for using "an unintended slur.") Politico reported that a major potential conservative donor once asked Haley to prove she wasn’t related to terrorists.

In light of all this, Haley still chooses to dismiss people of color’s legitimate anger against America’s enduring legacy of racism, instead siding with the party that believes in “Jewish space lasers” and banning books. She kicked off her presidential campaign event by declaring, “Take it from me, America is not a racist country,” which has since become a 2024 conservative rallying cry...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:40 am Today In: Profiles in courage!

Q: What was the cause of the United States Civil War?

Haley: Well, don't come with an easy question or anything. I mean, I think the cause of the Civil War was basically how government was going to run. The freedoms and what people could and couldn't do. What do you think the cause of the Civil War was?

Q: I'm not running for president. I wanted to hear your view on the cause of the Civil War.

Haley: I mean, I think it always comes down to the role of government. We need to have capitalism, we need to have economic freedom, we need to make sure that we do all things so that individuals have the liberties, so that they can have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to do or be anything they want to be without government getting in the way.

Q: Thank you. In the year 2023, it's astonishing to me that you'd answer that question without mentioning the word "slavery."

Haley: What do you want me to say about slavery?

Q: You've answered my question. Thank you.

Haley: Next question.
My first reaction to this was “oh good, just when it looks like a traditional R might consolidate support, she steps in it, and now she’s drawing dead.”

And then I thought more about the state of play, and realized that I’m not the audience here. Not only will this not end her run, it’ll probably HELP her in the primaries; who exactly is going to hammer her for this?

All of which says much more about the present state of the right, than it does about anything else.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

such a fucking joke
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

This seems like a gotcha question. Answer with slavery and piss off the base, answer the way she did and piss off anyone with a brain. She went safe.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:10 am such a fucking joke
And I would argue that this is another example of the effect of normalization; this would have automatically ended any candidacy until November 2016, when (in an, ah, wind-aided election) the voters decided that the prospect of a Hillary Clinton presidency was so repellent that an openly racist, misogynist, fraudulent know-nothing carnival barker was preferable.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:49 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:40 am Today In: Profiles in courage!

Q: What was the cause of the United States Civil War?

Haley: Well, don't come with an easy question or anything. I mean, I think the cause of the Civil War was basically how government was going to run. The freedoms and what people could and couldn't do. What do you think the cause of the Civil War was?

Q: I'm not running for president. I wanted to hear your view on the cause of the Civil War.

Haley: I mean, I think it always comes down to the role of government. We need to have capitalism, we need to have economic freedom, we need to make sure that we do all things so that individuals have the liberties, so that they can have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to do or be anything they want to be without government getting in the way.

Q: Thank you. In the year 2023, it's astonishing to me that you'd answer that question without mentioning the word "slavery."

Haley: What do you want me to say about slavery?

Q: You've answered my question. Thank you.

Haley: Next question.
My first reaction to this was “oh good, just when it looks like a traditional R might consolidate support, she steps in it, and now she’s drawing dead.”

And then I thought more about the state of play, and realized that I’m not the audience here. Not only will this not end her run, it’ll probably HELP her in the primaries; who exactly is going to hammer her for this?

All of which says much more about the present state of the right, than it does about anything else.
Most of the conservatives out there who have a problem with this have already stopped voting for Republicans altogether. Like you said, it probably won her votes, not cost her votes.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think you guys are over estimating how many of the die hard Rs actually pay attention to this type of media content to even know this question and answer happened and/or give a shit.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:25 am I think you guys are over estimating how many of the die hard Rs actually pay attention to this type of media content to even know this question and answer happened and/or give a shit.
That's my point - what the die-hards would fixate on is if Woke Nikki, having already committed one cardinal sin by supporting the changing of military base names away from secessionists, admitted out loud what the secessioning was all about.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:35 am
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:25 am I think you guys are over estimating how many of the die hard Rs actually pay attention to this type of media content to even know this question and answer happened and/or give a shit.
That's my point - what the die-hards would fixate on is if Woke Nikki, having already committed one cardinal sin by supporting the changing of military base names away from secessionists, admitted out loud what the secessioning was all about.
Seems a bit over the top, but who knows.

I think she tried to avoid a trigger word to a question she wasn't prepared for and opened herself up for criticism by doing so. "Freedoms" wasn't going to cut it, throw in the word slavery and the die hard Ds and die hard Rs probably never hear about this question or her answer.

The saddest part of it all is that Haley is top 2 most stomach-able Rs running.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Was she talking about the freedom to own slaves?
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:14 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:35 am
Seems a bit over the top, but who knows.

I think she tried to avoid a trigger word to a question she wasn't prepared for and opened herself up for criticism by doing so. "Freedoms" wasn't going to cut it, throw in the word slavery and the die hard Ds and die hard Rs probably never hear about this question or her answer.

The saddest part of it all is that Haley is top 2 most stomach-able Rs running.
I 1000000000000000000000% agree with your last line.

I suspect what really happened is that one of her 4-6 stock responses is "states' rights," and - for whatever reason - she reflexively went that direction without there being a voice in her head that was loud enough to warn her off the problem with that direction.

What I'm saying is that that voice in her head was quieter than it should have been BECAUSE listening to that voice before had earned her flak from the die-hards.

For example:

https://time.com/6255503/nikki-haley-20 ... rate-flag/
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

John Brown's body lies as an example of a disagreement over the role of government.

Glory. Glory. Halleluja
Last edited by Sparko on Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I’m just hoping that there will be someone in my lifetime who gets in the Republican primary and has a Network moment: Look here you can get inbred mouthbreathers……the Civil War was about slavery. The southern secessionists were fighting FOR the right to own slaves. They lost. They were traitors against the United States of America. I know you guys aren’t going to vote for me but I want to hold up a mirror to this Party and watch my opponents twist themselves into pretzels to justify their support for treasonous losers and their defense of the right to own slaves. For the first time in your lifetime, go read a history book.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

That would be fabulous. Missouri's perpetual ignorance stands as a monument to their stubborn adherence to casual racism
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Yikes.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

History may not always echo, but it sure can rhyme.
The narrative strains were simple. They painted a picture of Southern chivalry — mint juleps, magnolias and moonlight — that stood in sharp contrast with the North, a region marked by avarice, grinding capitalism and poverty. The rebellion, by this rendering, had been a legal response to the North’s assault on states’ rights — not a violent insurrection to preserve chattel slavery.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I believe 9 year old Adam was probably given the question to ask.
"Do you remember John Kerry from 2004"?
I wouldn't have faulted Nimarata if she responded, Yes I do Adam, but how do you as a 9 year old remember him/it?

https://youtu.be/uESsjuzZdGc
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

The questioner made himself look stupid by asking a stupid question. Anyone with an 8th grade education should know about the civil war. Much adoo about nothing.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

dolomite wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:39 pm The questioner made himself look stupid by asking a stupid question. Anyone with an 8th grade education should know about the civil war. Much adoo about nothing.
I do not agree. There is an entire whitewashing (…) spin to this, called the Lost Cause myth. There is no way Haley is unfamiliar with it, and so leaning into it this way is absolutely noteworthy.