Modern feminism thread

Ugh.
RussianHawk

Re: Modern feminism thread

Post by RussianHawk »

lobster wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:07 pm Doesn't upset me. I'm just inviting you to focus on the content, which has been a challenge for you.
You posted a video and said good argument without any context and relied on Psyche and Count to articulate your thoughts for you in the entire thread. I pointed out blatent BS on Psyche's part and you are asking me to focus?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:11 pm Russia has morphed into the male version of Sea. Perpetually pissed and truculent with nothing substantive to say. Another lost cause.
Psych, you waste your time calling me names and trying to intimidate me with your idiocies. I had your number from very early on when you alleged that I had difficulty with you not because of raging misogynism, but because you were a male authority figure and I couldn't deal with male authority figures.

Since I was married to someone who was a judge for 24 years--I just laughed at your characterization, and have been laughing at you ever since.
Don't inject Lysol.
Mjl

Re: The feminism thread

Post by Mjl »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm
Mjl wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Why are you framing this as if it is some sort of onerous chore or a form of insult to stay at home and raise the child you created? If you don't want to raise and care for kids, you probably shouldn't have them.
If I understand you correctly, any couple that prefers a lifestyle that dual incomes can provide should not have children?
I think a lot of our culture’s problems can be attributed to children born into families where neither parent is interested in taking on the responsibility of raising them.
That's a very differeny tone than when you and lob were villifying daycare. My wife and I both work and send our baby to daycare. It teaches her to be around others, builds up her immune system, and makes her less susceptible to separation anxiety. It's not neglect. We enjoy getting two salaries and enjoy having two kids. Most people in our neck of the woods have done the same and their kids have turned out great.

I question whether the cited studies are mistaking causation and correlation.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Mjl wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm My wife and I both work and send our baby to daycare.
Now I understand why you were so upset with my comments.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I agree with Mjl, Our kids had daycare while we worked and they turned out well. Our grandkids also had daycare until #3 came around. You learn social skills along with a lot of pre-kindergarten skills in daycare.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Mjl wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm
Mjl wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 pm

If I understand you correctly, any couple that prefers a lifestyle that dual incomes can provide should not have children?
I think a lot of our culture’s problems can be attributed to children born into families where neither parent is interested in taking on the responsibility of raising them.
That's a very differeny tone than when you and lob were villifying daycare. My wife and I both work and send our baby to daycare. It teaches her to be around others, builds up her immune system, and makes her less susceptible to separation anxiety. It's not neglect. We enjoy getting two salaries and enjoy having two kids. Most people in our neck of the woods have done the same and their kids have turned out great.

I question whether the cited studies are mistaking causation and correlation.
As always, you are entitled to your opinion. I still disagree.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Maybe these stay at home parents (by and large women) also homeschool their children up to college.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Thank you, DC! There is a fourth wave and the OP made no point. It took four pages to try and figure out what Lobs was thinking.
Lobs, remember we’re you were so enamored with Asian women? I don’t think it was the black hair and petite frame. You wanted the stereotyped Asian mentality whereby the woman 100% runs the household and the man never enters the kitchen, no?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I don't think of myself as any 1-4th wave feminist, but as a Mt. Oread feminist, as I learned feminism at the University of Kansas. The land upon which my alma mater was founded was donated by Sara Robinson, wife of a governor, abolitionist, author, survivor of several burnings of Lawrence and of Quantrill's raid. Robinson wrote several books, one about the early history of Kansas and one about Quantrill's Raid.

Lobster can enthuse about Asian women staying in the kitchen and House Divided did not attend KU, so I'll continue to look at what Robinson said about the women of early Kansas and reflect that our feminism comes down to us from them.

Some free-state families were leaving, but they were mostly those who had but recently come into the territory, and had not established themselves, and become part of the great question of slavery and freedom. Timid men turned back when their feet had hardly pressed the rich soil of Kansas; but the old settlers, undaunted by past disasters and present confusion, stood firmly upon their rights. Having put their "hands to the plough, they would not look back." In some regions, where husbands and brothers were in arms to protect some other settlement, or to drive out marauders, delicately reared and intelligent New England women were busy in the fields. Their horses and oxen stolen they were at work earnestly to get in the crops. Two beautiful and accomplished girls, thus at work, said to a friend of mine, "Those who would think less of us for working in the field, may say what they please; we do not value their opinions." Kansas: Its Interior and Exterior Life by Sara Robinson., http://www.kancoll.org/books/robinson/r_chap01.htm
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

JFC. You guys/gals are nuts!
Deleted User 75

My wife is a strong, independant, take no shit type of woman, but she thinks many of the pussy hat wearers are nutty man haters.

There is a difference between wanting equality of opportunity and wanting to have the power dynamic switched so that women have the control since men have had it for all of history....obviously not all feminists want to have more power than men so that the men can "see how it feels", but some do. Maybe even many? Hard to say.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I believe that Sara Robinson would have hated Donald Trump, who even in the present day says laudatory things about the slaver and traitor, Robert E. Lee.
Don't inject Lysol.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

What Sara had to say about such men as General Lee:

Let the loud moan of lone men, murdered by these hordes of the administration, and the bitter wail of desolate homes, borne on every gale, tell to the world the blackness of the demon Slavery, and the unmitigated villany of those who have aided, abetted, and connived at all these atrocities -- those who have brought disgrace upon our country's name, and clothed their own in darkness so dense, that no after acts of a lifetime can erase the stains of blood and guilt. While the ghost-like forms of their murdered victims flit around their nightly pillows, and the cry, "O, God! I am murdered!" comes to them on every morning breeze, and the low plaint of the insane widow, as she starts and listens at every footstep, saying, "Is it my husband?" as he comes never more, "O, my soul, come not thou into their secrets!"
Kansas: Its Interior and Exterior Life by Sara Robinson., ch. 24.
Don't inject Lysol.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:26 am There is a difference between wanting equality of opportunity and wanting to have the power dynamic switched so that women have the control since men have had it for all of history....obviously not all feminists want to have more power than men so that the men can "see how it feels", but some do. Maybe even many? Hard to say.
Most of the ones I encounter on a daily basis fall into the radical retribution category.
Deleted User 75

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:29 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:26 am There is a difference between wanting equality of opportunity and wanting to have the power dynamic switched so that women have the control since men have had it for all of history....obviously not all feminists want to have more power than men so that the men can "see how it feels", but some do. Maybe even many? Hard to say.
Most of the ones I encounter on a daily basis fall into the radical retribution category.
Interesting. Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking.

Because most of the women I am around aren't like the pussy hat wearers.

I'm helping with coverage at a smaller rural bank that my company owns today. The nice lady I'm working with (early 40s with 2 HS aged kids) was just talking about that she thinks what's wrong with people today is that mothers aren't raising the kids, daycares are.. and that she prefers the traditional lifestyle of her working part time so that she can be there to raise her kids, cook dinner for her family, and support her family in various ways....while her husband works full time and provides most of the financial strength for their family.

So I think it's all about the area and individual that shapes their views.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:29 am
Interesting. Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking.

Because most of the women I am around aren't like the pussy hat wearers.

I'm helping with coverage at a smaller rural bank that my company owns today. The nice lady I'm working with (early 40s with 2 HS aged kids) was just talking about that she thinks what's wrong with people today is that mothers aren't raising the kids, daycares are.. and that she prefers the traditional lifestyle of her working part time so that she can be there to raise her kids, cook dinner for her family, and support her family in various ways....while her husband works full time and provides most of the financial strength for their family.

So I think it's all about the area and individual that shapes their views.
I work in academia, where most women have chopped off all their hair, gained a ton of weight, taken to wearing Dowdy the Clown-esqe muumuus, and have chosen to substitute garish earrings and outrageous eyeglasses for traditional emblems of attractiveness (Peacocking is what it would be called in men; not sure what you would call it in women).

It is ironic because, while they simultaneously reject the things that would make them attractive to men, they spend most of their time lamenting the fact that those same horrible men don't notice them or only view them in a professional context. They hate men for being men, but they also hate them for not finding them attractive. It is a sociological Gordian knot.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Your company "owns a small rural bank" and a woman employee there says what she thinks you want to hear. Gosh, that's some "unbiased evidence" right there.

More about early Kansas women, who in your mind and that of HD and lobster should have been churning butter or performing some other acceptably female kitchen task:

Yesterday, two of our ladies went out some ten miles, and brought in two kegs of powder. Daily and nightly the ladies meet there, in the one room, with its loose, open floor, through which the wind creeps, to make cartridges, their nimble fingers keeping time with each heartbeat for freedom, enthusiastic are they in aiding the defense.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 75

seahawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 am Your company "owns a small rural bank" and a woman employee there says what she thinks you want to hear. Gosh, that's some "unbiased evidence" right there.
The assumptions you make about this woman because you don't agree with her mindset or feelings are disgusting..

This woman doesn't give a shit what I think about her. I'm not her husband. I can't help advance her career, im not a boss. I do real estate appraisals for the bank. she's a part time bank teller at a branch that only has 2 employees and I have to be here today so that she's not alone (company policy that there must be 2 employees at every branch for safety).

You assume she's a liar because you don't like her views.. you sound a lot like the people who didn't believe kavanaughs accuser because he thinks like they think. You should be ashamed to call this woman I'm working with a liar without knowing a thing about her.

You also make assumptions about me that since I'm a man I can advance her career.. or that since I'm a man this woman must cater to what she thinks I want her to say.. what is wrong with you?

She was telling me about her family and her views. Unsolicited. I've worked with her maybe 5 times doing this same thing (sitting at a desk in the back office).
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:05 am
seahawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 am Your company "owns a small rural bank" and a woman employee there says what she thinks you want to hear. Gosh, that's some "unbiased evidence" right there.
The assumptions you make about this woman because you don't agree with her mindset or feelings are disgusting..

This woman doesn't give a shit what I think about her. I'm not her husband. I can't help advance her career, im not a boss. I do real estate appraisals for the bank. she's a part time bank teller at a branch that only has 2 employees and I have to be here today so that she's not alone (company policy that there must be 2 employees at every branch for safety).

You assume she's a liar because you don't like her views.. you sound a lot like the people who didn't believe kavanaughs accuser because he thinks like they think. You should be ashamed to call this woman I'm working with a liar without knowing a thing about her.

You also make assumptions about me that since I'm a man I can advance her career.. or that since I'm a man this woman must cater to what she thinks I want her to say.. what is wrong with you?

She was telling me about her family and her views. Unsolicited. I've worked with her maybe 5 times doing this same thing (sitting at a desk in the back office).
You can't argue with crayzee, bro. Smile, wave, and back away slowly.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I am 49, work in academia, and never have heard a mature woman lament that men do not find them attractive. I suspect these ladies are hitting on you, Psyche. They are searching for a compliment from you.

On the other hand, I know several that are waiting for their kids to finish school as they plan to leave their husbands. They have no use for husbands nor marriage, being that they are financially secure and have either grown apart from their husbands or consider their husbands an additional child to care for.

Single households are on the rise. You can hire for anything. Everyone is happy except for the ones who gave up education/career opportunities and career advancement to support/follow their husband’s careers and their children.