Re: next soccer question

Post by pdub »

Penalties second game in a row.
Come on Turner.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:54 pm Ferreira comes through in the clutch.
Whoops.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Roldan sucks.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Lol
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This is just such a complacent organization.
Complacent with World Cup quarters. Complacent with half-assing tournaments with retreads that should never wear the Stars and Stripes ever again.
Complacent with their choice for coach.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Lol.
We won the Gold Cup last go around and won the Nations League two times in a row.

This tournament was to start to piece together reserves for our World Cup team.

Cade Cowell has promise. Busio too. Those are guys who could be the 19th and 20th players. Ferreira, despite the missed penalty, scored a lot and had a beautiful equalizer. He’s only 22. So he has a shot to make the next cup too. Turner obviously. I don’t know about anyone else even though Vazques showed ok as a sub. Yedlin’s time is done.

Beyond Turner and Ferreira these guys are probably our 30-50 best guys to be honest so not even a full B team.

And, just mentioning, ESPN FC just put out their top 100 soccer players in the world and not a single American was on it...so I suppose you could blame that on the Federation for not pushing more athletes to switch from more popular American sports to soccer...but not the coaching staff.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I generally don’t follow much on ESPN. Probably just bitterness over the fact that one must traverse a maze to find the MLS on their page. It was this way when they had TV rights, too, so can’t really point to that as a cause.

Also, Pulisic and Reyna would have to be at least sniffing any such list, right?

Most excited to watch Musah continue to develop.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Yeah I'm not going to get my blood pressure up over that roster not winning the Gold Cup. Sucks that they didn't, but okay.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pulisic maybe.
Reyna doesn't even start for his team in a league that may not even be top 3 in the world.
It's too early to put him on a list of 100.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And one more note, all but one starter for Panama last night was on their A team that got decimated by USA's A team last time they played ( USA won 5-1 ) in World Cup Qualifying. So our B/C team, which hasn't played together except for the last few weeks, lost in penalties to their A team.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

FIFA giving away 20k tickets to the Women's cup due to poor sales.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:45 am Pulisic maybe.
Reyna doesn't even start for his team in a league that may not even be top 3 in the world.
It's too early to put him on a list of 100.
I like Reyna a lot. He's so good. But I refuse to go all-in on him until he can find a way to stay healthy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it's likely you need to be a starter on one of the top 25 or so clubs in the World to be considered in the top 100 ( there are exceptions of course - Messi is about to play for the MLS ).

Dortmund makes that cut.
But Reyna made only 4 starts last season.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:43 am FIFA giving away 20k tickets to the Women's cup due to poor sales.
This is to be fake news. Women’s soccer is the best selling sport in the world. And generates more $$$ than most countries.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I actually like the women’s World Cup, but I don’t seek out games other than when the US is playing. I’ll probably go to a game when the Current stadium opens, so I can see it, and marvel at the site selection, etc., but I can’t say it’ll inspire me to be an everyday fan. Can’t say it won’t either, but as of now, I’m leaning meh.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I definitely follow and cheer for the US women in the World Cup.

The whole pay disparity deal was A. ignoring that there actually wasn't much disparity, just a difference in the negotiating contract where the men's teams players got paid per appearance and the women's team somewhat subsidized and B. the actual output of $$ from the FIFA World Cup and, on related to this, the revenue created by both competitions.

I'm glad it's over but the men's players are taking one for the 'team'.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

Losing to Panama is never great, but this Gold Cup was obviously just a “nice to have” with a pretty weak B team playing.

Lots of meaningful matches coming up in 2024/2025, but this is really not the one to worry about.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It will be Mexico's A team ( every starter in the Gold Cup but 1 was on their latest WC roster ) vs Panama's A team in the final.
I think Mexico's A would have thrashed us had we made it there so this might be a blessing in disguise.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:52 am I think it's likely you need to be a starter on one of the top 25 or so clubs in the World to be considered in the top 100 ( there are exceptions of course - Messi is about to play for the MLS ).

Dortmund makes that cut.
But Reyna made only 4 starts last season.
Speaking of this, Pulisic is official to AC Milan.
Hopefully he can find his way to bigger minutes there.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas