The top 100 (and one) best players for the 2018-19 season

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

The top 100 (and one) best players for the 2018-19 season

Post by PhDhawk »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 19-season/

4. Dedric Lawson | Kansas | Senior | Forward

Unfamiliar with Lawson? He was a stat monster at Memphis, sat out last season in a transfer year, and now sets up to be the best player on what could be the best team in the sport. When we last saw Lawson he was averaging 19.2 points and 9.9 boards on a bad Memphis team. Think of the possibilities ahead in a KU uni. Will the Kansas big thrive in his first year under Bill Self, though?

21. Quentin Grimes | Kansas | Freshman | Guard

Grimes is the best NBA prospect on KU's roster. The 6-5 scorer is a good athlete and capable shooter. He's probably the favorite to be Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.

54. Udoka Azubuike | Kansas | Junior | Center

Azubuike averaged 13.0 points and 7.0 rebounds last season while shooting 77.0 percent from the field. That's the second best field-goal percentage in Division I history. The 7-foot center will be a force in KU's frontcourt playing beside Dedric Lawson.

94. Lagerald Vick | Kansas | Senior | Guard

After committing to go pro, then backing out, then returning to Kansas, Lagerald Vick can rest assured of his status as a top-100 player. Even with a stellar class of transfers and freshmen set to infiltrate KU's active roster, Vick, who averaged a career-high 12.1 points and 4.8 rebounds last season, should again be an integral piece for the Jayhawks.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

Re: The top 100 (and one) best players for the 2018-19 season

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Why does Dok get no love?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's 54th in the nation.
That's pretty good.
I would rank him higher than Grimes ( maybe not in talent but in impact ) but we'll see.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Eh, I think Grimes will be really good. Much closer to Josh Jackson than Kelly Oubre. Freshman Henry or Rush, but a better ballhandler/passer, seems right.

I think Doke will be more impactful than his ranking says. I also think he'd go for like 26/10 for a lot of other schools.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not sure Grimes will significantly alter the way a defense plays - he'll be good, and I'd be good with a freshman Henry comparison - but people have to directly gameplan against Dok and will have to do so even more this season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The problem is that it's not hard to gameplan for Doke; it's nearly impossible to gameplan for a guy like Grimes.

Of course, gameplanning for Doke means opening up soft spots elsewhere (or burning fouls). I could very much see a scenario unfolding often this year where Doke is pulled from foul 5 until after foul 7.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

With five fouls to give and depth on the Kansas bench, Doke is going to be a different player this season. He will blow by spot #54.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 75

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm With five fouls to give and depth on the Kansas bench, Doke is going to be a different player this season. He will blow by spot #54.
I agree he will be better than #54, but not because he will be wildly trying to block shots because we've told him not to worry about fouling out....so I guess I don't get the "5 fouls to give" comment.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I get it.
He won't be as tentative on defense because we will be able to manage without him.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:05 pm I get it.
He won't be as tentative on defense because we will be able to manage without him.
I never felt he was overly tentative on defense, he's just not a great shot blocker timing wise so I think it was stressed not to gamble or leave his feet...not sure that'll change a ton because we've got an extra body or 2 behind him. We will still want him on the floor and not picking up dumb fouls being too agressive imo.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

grimes is probably more like freshman selden. potential to be better. lets not get too carried away give him time.

his role might be more like freshman henry (talented scorer on a talented team with some upperclassmen) but people forget how good xavier was. dude was in the conversation for best player in his class
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

we dont even know for sure if grimes is going to be a starter. likely the most talented player. but there are guys here that already have a couple years experience at the college level
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:33 pm we dont even know for sure if grimes is going to be a starter. likely the most talented player. but there are guys here that already have a couple years experience at the college level
Eh. It’s pretty clear from the FIBA stuff (among other things) that Grimes is very much a Self guy.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:05 pm I get it.
I never felt he was overly tentative on defense, he's just not a great shot blocker timing wise so I think it was stressed not to gamble or leave his feet...not sure that'll change a ton because we've got an extra body or 2 behind him. We will still want him on the floor and not picking up dumb fouls being too agressive imo.
He definitely played tentative in many games when he picked up a foul or two in the first half. He didn’t play at the highest beast mode. I don’t want him to rack cheap fouls either but I do think the freedom of knowing there is more than Lightfoot waiting will up his game.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:33 pm we dont even know for sure if grimes is going to be a starter. likely the most talented player. but there are guys here that already have a couple years experience at the college level
Eh. It’s pretty clear from the FIBA stuff (among other things) that Grimes is very much a Self guy.
Ya. I think the only way grimes doesn't start will be if we start both moore and dotson alongside Vick (which probably won't happen).

I know people love Marcus Garrett, but I don't think he's really on Grimes level. I think he's going to be in a battle for minutes. KJ might be better than him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Agree with lonestar.
I think his blocks per 40 will be closer to his frosh year.
Deleted User 75

I think his blocks will go up too. He is older and wiser with another summer of work under his belt.

I'm not sure how useful his per 40 block stats are from his 11 game freshman season...but 5.1 blocks per 40 is a lot... but 8.7 fouls per 40 is also a lot.

Dok played 23min a game last year. Averaged 3 fouls per game. And had 1.7 blocks per game. If his minutes are going to increase closer to 28mpg then he doesn't have a whole lot more room for additional fouls. He averaged 5.1 fouls per 40 last year fwiw.

Whether his blocks go up because he can foul more or whether they go up because he's just better, we will all be happy if they go up.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 pm
Ya. I think the only way grimes doesn't start will be if we start both moore and dotson alongside Vick (which probably won't happen).

I know people love Marcus Garrett, but I don't think he's really on Grimes level. I think he's going to be in a battle for minutes. KJ might be better than him.
Or... more realistically. we begin the season with moore vick and kj lawson at the 1-2-3. marcus garrett will be some form of factor this season too.

self doesnt normally start freshman unless he has to. lets them earn it. humbles them and helps them buy into the team concept.

dotson and grimes are our 2 most talented perimeter players. sure. from a potential standpoint. but these other guys are probably at lot better college level defenders and understand the speed of the college game, our offense/system, etc a lot better right now
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

every year on the message boards i listen to the same dipshits talk about how josh selby, chieck diallo, cliff alexander, kelly oubre or whichever current high ranked recruit is gonna come in be a starter and star and lead us to the promise land. every year its a bunch of bullshit. Im excited to have talented young players too but be patient and let these kids learn.

our last 3 final four appearances. in 08, 12, and 18. we had ZERO one and done players. 0. not a fucking one. I beleive cole aldrich and marcus garrett were the only freshman on those teams that were even a factor and both were way down our depth chart as role players
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

upperclassman is what gets it done here at kansas. all selfs best teams were loaded with upperclassman. his best recruiting class with wiggins selden embiid and mason? was his worst team. 10 losses. cause we relied on freshman. selfs style works best with guys who have been around a couple years and understand what is expected of them.

so once again why are people assuming we are forced to rely on these freshman? I hope dotson grimes and all the freshman are just as good or better than expected. I do think grimes is talented enough to start from day 1. but Im counting more on moore, the lawsons, vick, dok and the rest of our guys coming back to get us where we want to be. and wont be surprised if self leans on them and we see a ton of minutes from these guys and this lineup on the floor a lot this season

moore
vick
lawson
lawson
dok