The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:46 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:17 pm Looking for a recommendation on an all inclusive beach resort somewhere warm that allows kids. Cabo, Jamaica, wherever, not picky. Just warm and beachy around the holidays of 2024.
Will you have help with kids (or old enough to leave alone)? My STRONG recommendation would be to do an all-inclusive in Aruba (like Riu Palace, next to the Hilton). That way the kids can “buy” (and, sadly, waste) all they want…but you will feel free and safe to leave the resort for fun and dinners and stuff.

Aruba is such a sweet spot, the travel ease (and, for me, time zone ease) of the Caribbean, with the safety and “ease of being there” of Hawaii. Out of the hurricane zone so you really aren’t risking burning a vacation from inside the hotel room(s).

Bonus, you do US customs there on the way out, so when you land, you land “domestically.”
My youngest will be 11 so she's good to go. I'll research Aruba for sure, thanks for the details!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

what about Jamaica,they could take ya, Key Largo, Montego, why don't you go down to Kokomo
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kokomo ain’t real.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

tell that Mike Love
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

apparently there's a Kokomo in Indiana and Kokomo in Fiji
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That’s where we wanna go to get away from it all…way down in Indiana.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hey now, never know. It's the "city of firsts", so, might find something new you never knew you needed.

hopefully it's not too far from Gary. Thats the real prize of the Hoosiers.

I drove through Gary once on the way to South Bend. It wasn't a great time. Place seemed prosperous though, the steel bar and plywood window industry was booming.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

We have a trip to Colorado in February, an Oregon Coast beach rental in June, Palm Springs in August, and Sedona in November
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 pm We have a trip to Colorado in February, an Oregon Coast beach rental in June, Palm Springs in August, and Sedona in November
where on the oregon coast?
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Rockaway Beach
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ahh nice, been there once when wife and I first started dating. quiet little place. Short trip to Tillamook, if I remember right there's a pelican brewery not too far away with a great view.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yeah, definitely going to be a chill out week.
I will probably drag a boat along
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 pm We have a trip to Colorado in February, an Oregon Coast beach rental in June, Palm Springs in August, and Sedona in November
What dates and where in CO? I will be in the Springs at some point in Feb. We could have beer lunch at Cerberus or PigLatin Cocina in the Springs if you are in the vicinity.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:41 pm That’s where we wanna go to get away from it all…way down in Indiana.
nothing says tropical vacation like indiana in december
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Annie has a conference in Chicago on May 22-24. She asked if I wanted to come along, we would extend the trip into the following weekend. She wondered aloud if I could find things to do during the day to entertain myself while she was conferencing. Chicago is one of the great walkable tourist/cultural cities in the world, no problemo. I rattled off a short list of shit I would do left to my own devices in Chicago for a couple of days....No fucking way you do that without ME!

She has approved my going to lunch with clients and day drinking with Gutter, without her. Going to facility and visiting Nick Cave has to wait until she can come with.

So keep those dates open Gutter.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:31 am
What dates and where in CO? I will be in the Springs at some point in Feb. We could have beer lunch at Cerberus or PigLatin Cocina in the Springs if you are in the vicinity.
Feb 23-27
Got a mountain house outside of Idaho Springs.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Treat yourself to some Smokin’ Yards while you’re there
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:21 pm
japhy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:31 am
Feb 23-27
Got a mountain house outside of Idaho Springs.
hmmmm.....and the Jayhawks play Texass on Saturday Feb 24th....hmmmm.....let me check Dok's schedule.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'll be in Maine that weekend.
Anyone plan to be there then?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:54 pm Treat yourself to some Smokin’ Yards while you’re there
Just looked it up, thanks for the tip!