The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by pdub »

Do they have Broadway musicals in Hawaii?
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Some random travel tips:
— If you’ve flown into New Orleans, when you’re leaving get to the airport early enough to try the red beans and rice at Dooky Chase restaurant, outside of security near concourse B. Good stuff.
— If you’re staying more than a week someplace, and you don’t want to pay higher than dry cleaning prices to send your clothes out from a hotel, look for a laundromat that advertises wash-n-fold or laundry by the pound service. They’ll do your laundry for you and it will be almost as cheap as doing it yourself.
— If you like a glass of milk with your breakfast in a restaurant, in addition to some coffee, wait until the breakfast is delivered to “add” the milk to your order. If you order the milk at the same time as your breakfast, 80+ percent of waitresses from coast to coast will forget you ordered it.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:17 pm Anyone have good Hawaii advice?

Specifically, Mrs. Fish and I are locked into arriving in Honolulu on a Friday night and leaving on a Wednesday. Can't change either of those things. No set plans otherwise.
If you have a rental car, the Pali Highway is a spectacularly scenic drive. There’s a tunnel that goes through a mountain with a scenic pull-off at the west end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, the most absolutely stunning view is at the east end of tunnel where you can’t stop. It’s a view looking north along the side of the mountain range wth the ocean off to the east.
https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/scenicdr ... ighway.php
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Has anyone flown out of LaGuardia recently? Last time I was there, a little over two years ago, it was so f****d up by construction that it took 45 minutes to go less than a mile in a hotel shuttle to the terminal.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

kubandalum wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:54 pm Has anyone flown out of LaGuardia recently? Last time I was there, a little over two years ago, it was so f****d up by construction that it took 45 minutes to go less than a mile in a hotel shuttle to the terminal.
I was there in December. Not nearly as bad as it had been this time last year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

kubandalum wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Specifically, Mrs. Fish and I are locked into arriving in Honolulu on a Friday night and leaving on a Wednesday. Can't change either of those things. No set plans otherwise.
If you have a rental car, the Pali Highway is a spectacularly scenic drive. There’s a tunnel that goes through a mountain with a scenic pull-off at the west end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, the most absolutely stunning view is at the east end of tunnel where you can’t stop. It’s a view looking north along the side of the mountain range wth the ocean off to the east.
Thanks! Thinking of renting a convertible or something on Turo, for at least a day or two.
KU1214

Post by KU1214 »

Jfish26
I am not sure if you swim and scuba dive or snorkel but Hawaii has a great experience. In Hawaii you can scuba dive or snorkel at night with manta rays. Mantas are these huge but super gentle, kite shaped filter feeding animals. They can have wing spans that I believe can be 14 or so feet wide. Scuba divers dive down while snorkelers stay together at the surface. Divers turn on their dive lights and aim them upwards. This attracts groups of mantas to come feed on the plankton. Mantas will put on a show that is amazing for the divers below and the snorkelers above. You would need to be comfortable in the water to enjoy this experience. I have not been to Hawaii yet but I scuba dive. Among divers, diving (or snorkeling) with mantas in Hawaii is a bucket list item. It would be my number one reason to go to Hawaii. I had a great experience scuba diving with a manta rays in La Paz. The manta was so friendly and stayed swimming around us in very close proximity. It was awesome.

Kubandalum
I used to have to travel by LaGuardia everyday as I commuted to work. I would build in an hour to and again from work to go the five or so mile distance. In the days following 9/11, that commute took 4-5 hours each way because of the close proximity to borough bridges and tunnels. I always avoided flying out of LaGuardia. JFK and Newark we're more comfortable. The traffic to JFK was not much better
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

LaGuardia is the worst airport I have ever been to.
It consistently sucked.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:58 pm
kubandalum wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks! Thinking of renting a convertible or something on Turo, for at least a day or two.
I don’t know if there are any tour buses that go on the Pali Highway, but if there is that would be a better option for sightseeing on the east sideof the tunnel. Steep winding road and you can’t stop to look, and the best view of all is right by the mouth of the tunnel.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

One more thing. You might try a local eatery for breakfast to get some genuine Hawaiian cuisine—spam and eggs.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

yeah, but what flavor of spam?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dangit I meant to put that in the great outdoors but whatev
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Turo is the shit
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 pm 17 foot python in Florida

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/08/71097276 ... icials-say
an ecological cluster-fuck in south florida
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Great scenery you can’t stop to look at.

—San Francisco from the westbound Bay Bridge at night.
—Pittsburgh from northbound I-279 bridge just after exiting the tunnel going towards downtown.
—Los Angeles at sunrise after rain has cleared the air the day or night before, from “the 110” (I-110) northbound by “the 105” (I-105) interchange. It’s a tall bridge on the 110 on higher ground than downtown, and you can see much of the San Grabriel mountains and the basin going east toward San Bernardino.
—Glenwood Canyon through the White River National Forest on I-70, between Grand Junction and Denver. There is a rest stop along that stretch, but the best scenery is farther east from that.
Deleted User 89

kubandalum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm —Glenwood Canyon through the White River National Forest on I-70, between Grand Junction and Denver. There is a rest stop along that stretch, but the best scenery is farther east from that.
it's like grizzly gulch or something...have stopped there a bunch (if we're talking about the same one)

edit: further west, at least on the east-bound side, there is a "rest-area" pull-off (no facilities) that bypasses a tunnel, i think...it's a great spot to stop, and the canyon is a bit more open so it can be quite nice
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:02 pm
kubandalum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm —Glenwood Canyon through the White River National Forest on I-70, between Grand Junction and Denver. There is a rest stop along that stretch, but the best scenery is farther east from that.
it's like grizzly gulch or something...have stopped there a bunch (if we're talking about the same one)

edit: further west, at least on the east-bound side, there is a "rest-area" pull-off (no facilities) that bypasses a tunnel, i think...it's a great spot to stop, and the canyon is a bit more open so it can be quite nice
I love that stretch of I-70, especially when I'm going west.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

kubandalum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm Great scenery you can’t stop to look at.

—Pittsburgh from northbound I-279 bridge just after exiting the tunnel going towards downtown.
—Los Angeles at sunrise after rain has cleared the air the day or night before, from “the 110” (I-110) northbound by “the 105” (I-105) interchange. It’s a tall bridge on the 110 on higher ground than downtown, and you can see much of the San Grabriel mountains and the basin going east toward San Bernardino.
—Glenwood Canyon through the White River National Forest on I-70, between Grand Junction and Denver. There is a rest stop along that stretch, but the best scenery is farther east from that.
There are some spots on I-90 on the drive from Spokane to Missoula that are breathtaking, but without great places to pull over.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:46 am
kubandalum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm Great scenery you can’t stop to look at.

There are some spots on I-90 on the drive from Spokane to Missoula that are breathtaking, but without great places to pull over.
Yes there are indeed. Also on highway 12 from walla walla Washington to Missoula through the clear river valley. Amazing country
Just Ledoux it