The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by ousdahl »

oh!

howsabout Saratoga WY?

small town with apparently like 14 different bars, and the majority of the locals work at one of them.

I learned about this from a waitress at another dive bar yet. Gonna have to put that full story in the sat shack thread soon
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

if the oregon trail taught me anything it's that Saratoga has terrific hot springs.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:53 am if the oregon trail taught me anything it's that Saratoga has terrific hot springs.
Taught me I’m a terrible shot.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:27 am
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:53 am if the oregon trail taught me anything it's that Saratoga has terrific hot springs.
and incredibly inefficient at carrying food or just very undetermined?

"you got 2,000 lbs of meat, you can only take 100lbs to the wagon"

wtf? no, fuck dude....make multiple trips? being the wagon closer? no, were not leaving 1,100lbs of meat on the ground, Cecilia just died of starvation and Mabel just ate the dog and a strip of leather. Get the food to the fucking wagon...
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Bill Self’s dad musta been a very very bad Oregon Trailer.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:27 am
Has Self recruited you yet?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Headed back to Kansas for 4 days the end of this month.

Who wants to grab a beer or 2 in Larryville?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Text me when you're headed this way.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

You know I will!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

boeing failed 33 of 89 FAA audits over a recent 6 week period (i think that’s what i heard)

uh, no thank you to air travel
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:11 am boeing failed 33 of 89 FAA audits over a recent 6 week period (i think that’s what i heard)

and then the whistle blower calling them out Epsteined himself....

right before his second round of testimony
Last edited by TDub on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:12 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:11 am boeing failed 33 of 89 FAA audits over a recent 6 week period (i think that’s what i heard)

and then the whistle blower calling them out Epsteined himself....
right

not suspicious at all
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Been there, done that, AirB&B is not for me.

Maybe it's because I'm such a nester, don't want someone I don't know in my nest, and don't care to be in anyone else's nest, either? I could see owning a property someplace I wanted to visit for several weeks/year that I would rent out while I wasn't there , but not my primary residence. And, if I was an airbnb landlord, it would be difficult not to want to be able to see what's going on, since you're renting it out to people who've been "vetted" by a business that has an incentive to add, not exclude customers. But, as a renter, "get those mfing cameras out of here!"

Airbnb is banning indoor security cameras from rental properties listed on its site, citing privacy concerns.

The platform had allowed cameras in common areas like hallways and living rooms as long as they were clearly mentioned in a property's listings.

Those will now be banned, too...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:36 pm Been there, done that, AirB&B is not for me.

Maybe it's because I'm such a nester, don't want someone I don't know in my nest, and don't care to be in anyone else's nest, either? I could see owning a property someplace I wanted to visit for several weeks/year that I would rent out while I wasn't there , but not my primary residence. And, if I was an airbnb landlord, it would be difficult not to want to be able to see what's going on, since you're renting it out to people who've been "vetted" by a business that has an incentive to add, not exclude customers. But, as a renter, "get those mfing cameras out of here!"

Airbnb is banning indoor security cameras from rental properties listed on its site, citing privacy concerns.

The platform had allowed cameras in common areas like hallways and living rooms as long as they were clearly mentioned in a property's listings.

Those will now be banned, too...
I do not like vacation rentals at all.

There are some limited applications (particularly for bigger groups), but I personally would rather, for the same money, have a hotel room than 2x or 3x the space in a vacation rental.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Same ^^^.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:52 pmSame ^^^.
I also, even in big groups I'm close with (family or close friends), prefer the independence of everyone being able to manage themselves.

But, I'm not everyone. Others like communal, shared spaces and the organic interaction that comes with them. Me, I prefer "hey, I'm gonna be in the lobby for coffee by around 8:00, welcome to join."
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

traveling with kids, we much preferred homes to hotels, particularly when they were very little...diaper little.

But, nowadays the price, fees, and other negative aspects that come with a house rental have exceeded the benefits and we are back to hotels. Exception is traveling in larger familial groups.

Other than that, however, we do still prefer cabins, yurts to hotels when in places that have them.

I absolutely loathe hotels. But, they managed to ruin the air bnb model enough that we have run away from them.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Big Chill kind of ruined communal vacations aspirationally. Kevin Costner died way too young.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm The Big Chill kind of ruined communal vacations aspirationally. Kevin Costner died way too young.
lol
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:58 pm
I also, even in big groups I'm close with (family or close friends), prefer the independence of everyone being able to manage themselves.

But, I'm not everyone. Others like communal, shared spaces and the organic interaction that comes with them. Me, I prefer "hey, I'm gonna be in the lobby for coffee by around 8:00, welcome to join."
I can roll with the punches but actually loathe making decisions by committee, especially with/during my free time. It takes forever, and always, eventually, devolves to the lowest common, (grilled cheese, chicken tendersesque chain restaurant), denominator. You go do/eat whatever wherever you prefer, and I'm gonna be in the lobby for coffee by around 8:00...
Anand Giridharadas