Re: The Travel Thread

Post by ousdahl »

“Hey baby, are you a 737?

Cuz you’ve got a few screws loose and you look like you’d suck me off.”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

omg have you considered a career in stand up? I bet that kills with the bumble babes. hilarious, as always.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:44 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:26 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 pm

I like trains.
me too

the wife and i took the old steam train from Hill City to Keystone a couple years ago and it was fantastic
the steam trains are super cool
But, SOUL Trains are the funnest
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:31 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:44 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:26 pm
me too

the wife and i took the old steam train from Hill City to Keystone a couple years ago and it was fantastic
the steam trains are super cool
But, SOUL Trains are the funnest
https://youtu.be/lODBVM802H8?si=FPmu8eELFiIS7Qf_

I'm sad I missed the 70s.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I barely missed them.
I can definitely picture Defix in those platform shoes…throwing down those delicious moves!
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:34 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:26 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:36 am Boeing 737 loses external panel mid-flight, lands safely in Oregon in latest plane incident

https://nypost.com/2024/03/15/us-news/b ... id-flight/

The frightening mishap marks at least the seventh incident involving a Boeing plane in the last two weeks.
WTAF?

It's impossible to keep up. (Not kidding!)

Boeing going down the tubes isn't an option, it's too vital. But...
is it though?

if they scaled down focused on quality like they used to, and provided high quality products to the military and to vital operations to keep transportation of goods and what not moving. But, significantly scaled back the planes available for commercial flights....would that be all bad?

We generally don't need to fly as an absolute necessity.
This latest kerfuffle isn’t a Boeing problem. It’s an airlines problem, specifically US carriers. This is not like the MAX autopilot issue.

I have flown over a million miles all told (I’m about a hundred thousand miles short of Million Miler status on United and have had 1K status continuously since 2015) and my wife is trained as an aircraft maintenance engineer, although her specialty is helicopters. So I have somewhat of a different perspective.

Most of the world’s operators fly predominantly Boeing fleet and the only ones with issues are United, Alaska etc. Southwest is an all-Boeing fleet but no significant issues. Panels aren’t falling off Lufthansa or Qantas planes. This one isn’t a manufacturing problem. It’s a maintenance problem. I wouldn’t venture a guess as to the reason but airlines need to look inward.

Btw, I love all trains - steam to high speed. I have been on TGV, Italo, thalys, IC, AVE, Shinkansen and just a few weeks ago, the China High Speed Rail at 310 kph.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 am

WTAF?

is it though?

if they scaled down focused on quality like they used to, and provided high quality products to the military and to vital operations to keep transportation of goods and what not moving. But, significantly scaled back the planes available for commercial flights....would that be all bad?

This latest kerfuffle isn’t a Boeing problem. It’s an airlines problem, specifically US carriers. This is not like the MAX autopilot issue.

I have flown over a million miles all told (I’m about a hundred thousand miles short of Million Miler status on United and have had 1K status continuously since 2015) and my wife is trained as an aircraft maintenance engineer, although her specialty is helicopters. So I have somewhat of a different perspective.

Most of the world’s operators fly predominantly Boeing fleet and the only ones with issues are United, Alaska etc. Southwest is an all-Boeing fleet but no significant issues. Panels aren’t falling off Lufthansa or Qantas planes. This one isn’t a manufacturing problem. It’s a maintenance problem. I wouldn’t venture a guess as to the reason but airlines need to look inward.

Btw, I love all trains - steam to high speed. I have been on TGV, Italo, thalys, IC, AVE, Shinkansen and just a few weeks ago, the China High Speed Rail at 310 kph.
Wow, a family of over-achievers! (Speaking for myself, I always find intelligence in females very winsome, until or unless it isn't.)

Is the word you're looking for Spirit AeroSystems, perchance?

Did you know? Spirit AeroSystems’ headquarters in Wichita, Kan., spans more than 600 acres, with 12,000 employees in 150 separate buildings. As the world’s largest independent supplier of commercial and defense aerospace structures, we invite you to take a closer look at Where Flight Begins.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 am

WTAF?

is it though?

I think thats all good information and perspective that I don't have. But, I still don't think it addresses my point of view, which is, we don't need to fly so much. We can scale back on commercial airline flights in general. How many flights fly half empty in order to Maintain their slots at airports? there's a lot of consumption and waste in the airline industry.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Since travel resumed post pandemic I haven’t been on a flight which has had more than a few empty seats, let alone half full flights. I can’t remember the last time there was an empty seat next to me.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:39 am Is the word you're looking for Spirit AeroSystems, perchance?

Did you know? Spirit AeroSystems’ headquarters in Wichita, Kan., spans more than 600 acres, with 12,000 employees in 150 separate buildings. As the world’s largest independent supplier of commercial and defense aerospace structures, we invite you to take a closer look at Where Flight Begins.
You’re always too kind! Never knew about Spirit AeroSystems! I should look into it more.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the airline industry is on the shortlist for biggest scumbag villian on the planet.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:33 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:39 am Is the word you're looking for Spirit AeroSystems, perchance?

You’re always too kind! Never knew about Spirit AeroSystems! I should look into it more.
Well, I'm from Wichita back when it was Boeing's headquarters and had tens of thousands of employees, long before Boeing moved to Seattle and spun Spirit off. Of course, now they're in talks to buy it back, so they can control quality.
Anand Giridharadas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Overlander wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:22 pm I barely missed them.
I can definitely picture Defix in those platform shoes…throwing down those delicious moves!
Nailed it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:06 am

Well, I'm from Wichita back when it was Boeing's headquarters and had tens of thousands of employees, long before Boeing moved to Seattle and spun Spirit off. Of course, now they're in talks to buy it back, so they can control quality.
im more of a beechcraft guy myself. Grandfather had 45 years there
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:15 pm

45 years. Hard to imagine, especially these days.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:18 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:15 pm

45 years. Hard to imagine, especially these days.
I think I have his 40 year watch somewhere.
Just Ledoux it