Museums/history stuff?
Restaurants?
Super nice hotel to just hang out in?

Consider drive time, DC and NY are a lot farther than Minn/Chicago/Milwaukee
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah mostly looking at checking out some places. Both in history and variety of good restaurants and somewhere that you can somewhat easily maneuver around in.

Some cheap flights, so will be flying more than likely, and then either rent a car or uber everywhere, depending on the city/traffic.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:41 pm Those are quite different, and it depends a little on what you want to do.

For 4 days, though, you just can't go wrong with NYC and it's a big check mark off the list.

DC is the other one that would be worth 4 days if you're into American History. The rest are weekend trips.
That's kind of my thought. Enough stuff to keep busy throughout multiple days, and while crowded, can walk somewhat everywhere close.

I'm thinking right now either DC or NYC. But I always have wanted to go to Chicago/Minneapolis, just don't think there's enough things to keep our attention for more than a few days. Not much history type of stuff to check out and food (while I'm sure is good) would seem to be better, especially in NYC.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:53 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:41 pm Those are quite different, and it depends a little on what you want to do.

For 4 days, though, you just can't go wrong with NYC and it's a big check mark off the list.

DC is the other one that would be worth 4 days if you're into American History. The rest are weekend trips.
That's kind of my thought. Enough stuff to keep busy throughout multiple days, and while crowded, can walk somewhat everywhere close.

I'm thinking right now either DC or NYC. But I always have wanted to go to Chicago/Minneapolis, just don't think there's enough things to keep our attention for more than a few days. Not much history type of stuff to check out and food (while I'm sure is good) would seem to be better, especially in NYC.
New York is certainly more crowded than most places in the States, but unless you are spending all of your time in Times Square (and don't!), you're going to be able to move around. New York also has the best public transit of those places with Chicago and DC behind. In all of those places, rental car + hotel parking will set you back over $500 very quickly, so having quick public transit can help your budget out.

I really like Minneapolis but feels more like a getaway trip rather than 4 special days with the wife. If I was doing MSP in July, I'd make sure the Royals are playing that weekend at Target. Royals also play in Chicago, but would be better if it was at Wrigley. I could spend 4 days in Chicago and have a blast, but I'd just rather go to New York. It's as real of a city there is in the States.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Heading out for a Disney cruise in early April with the in laws. Got the SNUBA reservation made for my oldest daughter and I in Key West already so I am happy. Should be fun.

And just back from a quick trip to CO to clear my mind, hit the slopes and restock my supplies. A great battery recharge for sure.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My vote, and obviously i'm biased, is NYC.
If you haven't been there to visit, you need to.
Nothing like it.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Obviously Manhattan is the pick if you go to NYC right?

Lower or Mid-Manhattan the best bet?

I know Lower has WTC and Financial District, but Mid has Central Park, Broadway, Times Sq, Rockefeller, Radio City, The Garden and others.

Any need to check out Brooklyn, Jersey City, Bronx, etc?

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

To stay? Or to explore?

You need to visit mid-Manhattan of course - twirl around in Times Square, go to Rockefeller, explore MSG...BUT you DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT eat there, and you DO NOT spend more than 1/2 a day there.

A 1/2 day in Central Park is acceptable.

For me - don't eat food between 70th and 30th.
I might even say between 70th and 14th.

You want to just get lost walking in Greenwich, East Vill, LES.
Drop into stores, pubs, restaurants.
I used to have a good 'tour' system for my friends that would maximize time.

Definitely no need to check out Jersey.
Quick trip to Brooklyn maybe.
Bronx, unless going to a Yankees game, no.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I'm mostly focused on a good place to stay. But as CNB said, I want to try and utilize public transportation as much as possible, so could kind of go from there.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.magellanluxuryhotels.com/ne ... gKMg_D_BwE

While not immediately close to a subway, i'd recommend this spot.
Walkable, of course, to the train, but more importantly, walkable to the highline and West Village.
There's also a beer garden attached.

I don't know what price you were thinking - this is probably on the higher end.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DC is, without question, the more cost-effective of the two. You can find a nice-enough hotel near everything, including Metro, for about $100/day -- less if you're willing to stay in a Pod (https://www.thepodhotel.com/pod-dc/?gcl ... PxEALw_wcB). Plus, everything (or nearly everything) is free -- courtesy of the American taxpayer.

Two things to think about, though: Some of the things you'll want to see (e.g. Mount Vernon) will be nowhere near public transportation. And more to the point, DC is a reclaimed swamp and July is fucking miserably hot and humid. Ideal time to visit is April.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Traverse City Michigan.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NYC in July...
I'd make sure to go to the Statue of Liberty, and do all the 9/11 stuff. There's also some historical stuff you can do in lower manhattan.

I'd try to go to either a mets or yankees game, The Subway isn't too confusing.

I agree with Pwhitt, I'd stay outta jersey, same for Staten Island, Bronx or Queens for baseball, and that's it. If you're there 3-4 days its just not worth it to explore those burroughs. But would maybe take some time in Brooklyn. Especially if you are a foodie, there are great places to eat there.

If you're interested in Broadway shows AT ALL, you should go. They seem, and are, expensive, but its worth it. It'll be significantly better than a traveling show.

If you are into art, the metropolitan museum of Art is pretty amazing, stay away from the Guggenheim unless you like nodding your head knowingly at three parallel brush strokes.

If you were going to bring children I'd suggest the Natural History Museum, but if it's a second honeymoon, I'd only suggest if one of you is into science.

But, know that NYC will be expensive....everything about it will be.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

If I was weighing DC vs. NYC:
DC probably wins from 9 am to 5 pm. Just as many if not more things to do, and most are inexpensive to free.
NYC has an advantage from 5 pm to midnight. More fun things to do, more options for whatever you're interested in.
NYC is more expensive, but neither city is cheap.
Both have good public transportation, DC's is cleaner and easier to figure out.
NYC is more fun, DC wins in terms of history, NYC for food

Can't go wrong with either choice.

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Adding to PhD.....one exception to staying outta Staten Island is the Ferry. The best views for really nothing (used to be a quarter; now it's free!!). Take it out of Manhattan around sunset, you'll see the sun setting behind Statue of Liberty and then the lit up skyline when you return - you can get off the ferry and then get right back on it. Best hour and half you'll spend for free!!

I'll also throw in the UN headquarters tour (used to be free don't know if they charge now). There are some really intricate art work and sculptures from around the world. It's quite an awesome experience, and conveniently located in midtown - short walk from Grand Central.

If you go to Brooklyn I suggest walking the bridge and then take the subway back. That's an experience in and of itself. Do it midday to early afternoon because the views towards Manhattan become back lit later in the evening.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you want a super unique and inexpensive experience, take the Staten Island Ferry to catch a Staten Island Yankees ( they may be gone in a year or two which would be sad ) game.

It's ballpark overlooks lower Manhattan, you get great seats, cheap brews and food.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm If you want a super unique and inexpensive experience, take the Staten Island Ferry to catch a Staten Island Yankees ( they may be gone in a year or two which would be sad ) game.

It's ballpark overlooks lower Manhattan, you get great seats, cheap brews and food.
Similarly you could go to Coney Island in Brooklyn, if you like roller coasters and stuff, then go to a brooklyn cyclones game.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If I had room for a 4-night trip this summer, I think Montreal might be at the top of my list.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Montreal is the tits.
But I certainly would check off NYC and/or DC ( if I had never been ) before I went there.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

In my limited experience it was much better to use taxis than Uber or Lyft in NYC.

I don't know if that's representative or not.
Last edited by Shirley on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas