The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:28 am Heading to KC today. As soon as I can get Mrs. 99 in the car. Driving through Iowa is always a treat.
Drive safely.

Headed to T-Mobil Arena from some Big 12 Tournament action no doubt...

#goodfan
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Boeing 737 loses external panel mid-flight, lands safely in Oregon in latest plane incident

https://nypost.com/2024/03/15/us-news/b ... id-flight/

The frightening mishap marks at least the seventh incident involving a Boeing plane in the last two weeks.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:36 am Boeing 737 loses external panel mid-flight, lands safely in Oregon in latest plane incident

The frightening mishap marks at least the seventh incident involving a Boeing plane in the last two weeks.
WTAF?

It's impossible to keep up. (Not kidding!)

Boeing going down the tubes isn't an option, it's too vital. But...
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Definitely avoid Oregon in a Boeing plane.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Bumfuck Iowa looks exactly like Bumfuck Illinois.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:26 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:36 am Boeing 737 loses external panel mid-flight, lands safely in Oregon in latest plane incident

WTAF?

It's impossible to keep up. (Not kidding!)

Boeing going down the tubes isn't an option, it's too vital. But...
is it though?

if they scaled down focused on quality like they used to, and provided high quality products to the military and to vital operations to keep transportation of goods and what not moving. But, significantly scaled back the planes available for commercial flights....would that be all bad?

We generally don't need to fly as an absolute necessity.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

If we can't fly to Disneyland for a vacation, if we have to wait a couple weeks or a couple months for supplies ordered online......is that really that big of a deal?
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:36 pm If we can't fly to Disneyland for a vacation, if we have to wait a couple weeks or a couple months for supplies ordered online......is that really that big of a deal?
^^^ We're Airbus & Comac, the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, and we heartily endorse this message!

And if we all went back to riding horses, there wouldn't be so many car accidents, and demand for farriers would suddenly outstrip supply.

You are revolting against the future, the future will prevail. Better, or...like it, or... not.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:05 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:36 pm If we can't fly to Disneyland for a vacation, if we have to wait a couple weeks or a couple months for supplies ordered online......is that really that big of a deal?
^^^ We're Airbus & Comac, the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, and we heartily endorse this message!

And if we all went back to riding horses, there wouldn't be so many car accidents, and demand for farriers would suddenly outstrip supply.

You are revolting against the future, the future will prevail. Better, or...like it, or... not.
I mean, I understand your statement but you didn't answer the question.

We don't need to fly everywhere, not everything needs to be instantly accessible to everybody at all times. A step back might do everybody a little good.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Every 2-4 years the old lady forces me onto a plane. if not for her travel needs, I may never get on a plane. I don’t like it. I don’t need it.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:14 pm

We don't need to fly everywhere, not everything needs to be instantly accessible to everybody at all times. A step back might do everybody a little good.
Parents who live in KC and only get a couple of weeks of vacation a year do not want to spend 4 of those 14 days making the 2-day drive to Orlando and back with a car full of kids when they can get a non-stop flight and could be spending hundreds of dollars on cheap Disney crap in only a matter of hours.

dammit
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:33 pm Every 2-4 years the old lady forces me onto a plane. if not for her travel needs, I may never get on a plane. I don’t like it. I don’t need it.
Maybe you and Tdub could carpool to Disney, and share a room?
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:36 pm

Parents who live in KC and only get a couple of weeks of vacation a year do not want to spend 4 of those 14 days making the 2-day drive to Orlando and back with a car full of kids when they can get a non-stop flight and could be spending hundreds of dollars on cheap Disney crap in only a matter of hours.

dammit
so don't go to disney?Disney?

go to the black hills, or Colorado, or the Ozarks or the Buffalo River? There's plenty of options and amazing things to see that don't require a plane to get there. I believe this is true no matter where you live.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:17 pm

dammit

go to the black hills, or Colorado, or the Ozarks or the Buffalo River? There's plenty of options and amazing things to see that don't require a plane to get there. I believe this is true no matter where you live.
^^^

You win. I'm not about to argue on the pro-go-to Disney side. But first, you'll have to teach their parents to tell them no, despite the unrelenting barrage of Disney et al marketing they're exposed to from day one. Oh yeah, money is free speech and corporations are people, so good luck doing anything about that barrage of marketing.

I lived < 10 miles as the crow flies from Disney World for 7 years, could see and hear the fireworks every night 365 days/year, and I never would have gone if it weren't for having young granddaughters who wanted to. Who can you say no to "Fwozen"?
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

years ago we took the train from Albuquerque to LA to go to Disneyland…one of my all-time favorite family vacations
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

That would be a great trip
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:26 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:17 pm

dammit

^^^

You win. I'm not about to argue on the pro-go-to Disney side. But first, you'll have to teach their parents to tell them no, despite the unrelenting barrage of Disney et al marketing they're exposed to from day one. Oh yeah, money is free speech and corporations are people, so good luck doing anything about that barrage of marketing.

I lived < 10 miles as the crow flies from Disney World for 7 years, could see and hear the fireworks every night 365 days/year, and I never would have gone if it weren't for having young granddaughters who wanted to. Who can you say no to "Fwozen"?
I think frozen is the only Disney one they liked.

of course they still want to go to Disneyland.

I'm probably eventually going to lose that battle through lack of a united front.

Somehow I will find a way to drive it.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:27 pm years ago we took the train from Albuquerque to LA to go to Disneyland…one of my all-time favorite family vacations
I like trains.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:27 pm years ago we took the train from Albuquerque to LA to go to Disneyland…one of my all-time favorite family vacations
I like trains.
me too

the wife and i took the old steam train from Hill City to Keystone a couple years ago and it was fantastic
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:26 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 pm
I like trains.
me too

the wife and i took the old steam train from Hill City to Keystone a couple years ago and it was fantastic
I've ridden a steam train in Nevada several times which is awesome, done a few rides over and thru the mountains Here, a couple amtrak trips

the steam trains are super cool
Just Ledoux it