The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:26 am
TDub wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:41 am the more I think about this the more unacceptable it is to me.
Your opinion, though not invalid, would likely carry more weight if you didn't have a horse and buggyesque view when it comes to transportation.
ehh I'm still not wrong (believe it or not, I actually don't say that often)
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

deadly turbulence during european Singapore Airlines flight

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 024-05-21/
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Anyone taken a Royal Caribbean cruise? Not very high on my list, but it’s looking like the line-of-best-fit for a winter break trip given my kids’ ages and Mrs. Fish’s and my desire for more variety than a single all-inclusive.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

not RC, but Holland-America…was fantastic, even being amongst the youngest passengers (did the Inside Passage from Vancouver to Alaska when i was 19)

all-you-can-eat food 24/7, but charges for nearly all beverages

if you leave for on-shore excursions, keep track of the time because the boat won’t wait for you
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

An overcrowded ship of steerage vacationers passing germs back and forth whilst realizing there is no way off and they are in the middle of the ocean. Such fun.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:07 am An overcrowded ship of steerage vacationers passing germs back and forth whilst realizing there is no way off and they are in the middle of the ocean. Such fun.
Like I said, not at the top of my list.

But I want all-inclusive (for the kids anyway) for mostly my own sanity - I do not want to have to think about every half-drank $14 slushie by the pool, etc.

However, the beach resort all-inclusives we've been to are not really something I want to be locked into for a week, for a lot of reasons.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You wouldn't have to be locked in if you rented a car.
Tulum area has history, cave diving, snorkeling, awesome city in Playa del Carmen.
Or if even more adventurous, head to Costa Rica, they have numerous all-inclusives there.

I've done all-inclusives at DR and in the Bahamas but I don't recommend either of those spots if you're wanting to travel/adventure off your resort.

Don't go on a fucking cruise.
Gross.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^

the all-inclusive the wife and i took to Costa Rica was awesome…horseback-riding, river tubing, sea kayaking, geothermal mud spa. good balance of scheduled activities and down time for ourselves, but it was all middle-aged couples and older

i think the company we used was Costa Rica Monkey Tours
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:31 am
But I want all-inclusive (for the kids anyway) for mostly my own sanity - I do not want to have to think about every half-drank $14 slushie by the pool, etc.
think of them as streaming services. only order the ones you know you'll watch. I know that doesn't work with kids, but it should.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The other thing about non all inclusives, if you're ok with it, and the hotel aren't sticklers ( and if they are fuck that ), is just bringing a mug and buying your own liquor/mixes in your hotel room.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:53 am You wouldn't have to be locked in if you rented a car.
Tulum area has history, cave diving, snorkeling, awesome city in Playa del Carmen.
Or if even more adventurous, head to Costa Rica, they have numerous all-inclusives there.

I've done all-inclusives at DR and in the Bahamas but I don't recommend either of those spots if you're wanting to travel/adventure off your resort.

Don't go on a fucking cruise.
Gross.
I agree with you in ALL respects.

I just don't see that trip working for my mix of kid ages.

I've also learned that, for better or worse (as the vows go), I am the only person who will put any effort into planning things...meaning I am also the complaint department...and so (for this particular trip), I really do want to "settle" for something that is fairly fire-and-forget.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:37 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:31 am
think of them as streaming services. only order the ones you know you'll watch. I know that doesn't work with kids, but it should.
Exactly - should, but doesn't. And I will also, personally, enjoy/relax a LOT less if everything is a transaction.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Then just go on a kid friendly all-inclusive at one location.
Why do you want to be on a boat for over half your experience?
Hard pass.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

And I will also, personally, enjoy/relax a LOT less if everything is a transaction.

exactly why we did Costa Rica the way we did

though, if we were to go again we’d go the opposite route, rent a car and and spend as much/little time in places as we’d like (rather than being on “their” schedule)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:08 am Then just go on a kid friendly all-inclusive at one location.
Hard pass.
Short answer is that the kid-friendly all-inclusives we have been to don't have enough to keep the older kids (or, for that matter, the adults) entertained. When I priced out all-inclusives that either DO have enough to do, or are in places we'd be comfortable renting a car and leaving the resort, I end up several thousand dollars more than the cruise (which also has the benefit of nonstop "domestic" travel to get to/from).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I get the transaction thing.
I've been to more all-inclusives than not because of that.
But that also can eliminate spots - I don't remember Puerto Rico having many all-inclusive options but had an awesome time there and for cheap.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:16 am
pdub wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:08 am Then just go on a kid friendly all-inclusive at one location.
Hard pass.
Short answer is that the kid-friendly all-inclusives we have been to don't have enough to keep the older kids (or, for that matter, the adults) entertained. When I priced out all-inclusives that either DO have enough to do, or are in places we'd be comfortable renting a car and leaving the resort, I end up several thousand dollars more than the cruise (which also has the benefit of nonstop "domestic" travel to get to/from).
On a quick search Royal Caribbean cruises look to be like minimum 500 per person per night, no?
Surely you can find an all inclusive in Cancun/Playa del Carmen for less than that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:24 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:16 am
Hard pass.
On a quick search Royal Caribbean cruises look to be like minimum 500 per person per night, no?
Surely you can find an all inclusive in Cancun/Playa del Carmen for less than that.
I'm at about $260/person/night for the booking I expect to complete this week (I need to call and get them to match some perks I'd get if I booked through my credit card issuer).

Even if you add $50 or even $100/person/night to that (to account for the inevitable extras), I haven't seen a huge (comprehensive) resort that is even competitive (first week in January). And that's without accounting for the cheaper/easier travel.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Say 300 per person per night.
7 nights.
8400. On a boat.

Or on first search I get 2 rooms here:
https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/mexico/ ... del-carmen
And it costs me 7200 for 7 nights.
I have 1200 to work with ( which could get me a car rental and a fun family excursion of some type easy enough ).

And that's assuming we want 2 rooms instead of a larger one to share.
( dunno your plans on the cruise )

I know which I'd choose.