Quentin Grimes

Kansas Basketball.
Soklous

Re: Quentin Grimes

Post by Soklous »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am My take he spends way to much time floating around the arc. At this time his moves are so predictable. Gets a hand off on the weave. Two dribbles to attack, picks up the ball, passes on the second weave and cuts. The remaining minutes he floats around the 3 pt arc waiting for a kick out for a shot.
Dude needs to attack, get his shoulders square and get down hill. Get to the foul line. Make easy baskets. See the ball go through the hoop.

0 FTM in our last 5 games. Definitely something for Grimes to look at. Entire team if you ask me. Or, maybe just, refs!!!!
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sure seems Dotson takes the most FT's of any of the backcourt.

Pretty embarrassing for Grimes and Vick given their skill level and athleticism.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

If Garrett can get down hill so can Grimes. He needs to do exactly what Garrett does. Take that hand off use his size and athleticism and get to the basket.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 am Sure seems Dotson takes the most FT's of any of the backcourt.

Pretty embarrassing for Grimes and Vick given their skill level and athleticism.
Vick would dribble off his shin more times than not if he tried to attack the basket off the dribble the way Dotson does.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 am Sure seems Dotson takes the most FT's of any of the backcourt.

Agbaji has more FTA per game than either and he averages fewer minutes. Garrett has significantly more FTA pg and offense is not why he's on the court.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 am

Agbaji has more FTA per game than either and he averages fewer minutes. Garrett has significantly more FTA pg and offense is not why he's on the court.
I didn't think about Agbaji b/c of so few games played, but you are right, he is great at getting to the line. A garrett FTA might as well be a turnover.

I made a note about Vick's lack of bounce this season, and I think that plays a role in why he's not getting to the line.

But, less excusable is Grimes, because with Vick you can live with him taking a lot of jumpers. Grimes needs to do something. Anything.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

The part being skipped over here is Grimes is still only 60% at the line. It's not like he should attack more because it's guaranteed points. Most people can get to the line and see a few easy ones drop. Wonder what would happen to what's left of his confidence if he gets to the line and starts clanking FTs.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:08 am

I didn't think about Agbaji b/c of so few games played, but you are right, he is great at getting to the line. A garrett FTA might as well be a turnover.

I made a note about Vick's lack of bounce this season, and I think that plays a role in why he's not getting to the line.

But, less excusable is Grimes, because with Vick you can live with him taking a lot of jumpers. Grimes needs to do something. Anything.
I guess Vick has a lack of bounce, maybe.

but why? Is it poor conditioning? some lingering little injury? Just a lack of focus in general?

as far as I can tell, if he could figure out how to drive he'd be in the league by now. Dude's so quick, and the potential for bounce is at least there. But! He's just never consistently done it. So I'm afeared the issue may be lack of focus/discipline/understanding.

Dude's still far more likely to take a jumper, and often an ill-advised jumper at that. Pretty sure that's a big part of why he's always regressed come conference play: there's something about him that's just too easy to gameplan for in the scouting report.

"dude'll blow by you if he wants, but he rarely wants, so just bait him into more off-balance jumpshots."

or something?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and I wonder how much of Vick's issues is Self not getting him more involved.

Is it Vick's fault he's prone to standing around for long stretches? Or is Bill not running plays to get him more scoring opportunities?

Dude should be constantly moving in the half court, whether it be sprinting around screens to open spots for jumpers, back door cuts for the lob, *wishes* hard drives to the hoop out of a weave or other set play, sigh.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

He does all of those things. That's literally what all of our sets do to put him in position to score. He's not LeBron. Good defense can slow him down. Very few players are just unstoppable, and he's nowhere near that level.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ugh.

Yeah very few players at unstoppable, but you’d hope an uber-athletic senior would by now be better than “not that difficult to stop.”

Sigh.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I'm confused is he Uber athletic or does he have lack of bounce?

Being skinny as fuck maybe makes him not very good driving the basketball? I don't know. He's just not that good getting to the hoop a lot of the time. He seems to finish "ok" when he does...who knows. We're looking for answers that I'm starting to worry don't exist.

He's likely reached his ceiling. At lease for college. We've just got to accept what he is and stop expecting him to transform into a senior version of Andrew Wiggins or whoever we wish he was. We simply may "need" him to be better than he's truly capable of being.....and like I've been saying, averaging 15pts a game at Kansas is pretty fucking good. We've had guy who I think are a lot better than Vick not even average that many points or shoot this high of a % from 3pt land. He's having a really good year by normal standards imo. It's just we are needing so much from someone because we're missing something that we normally have. It just may not exist on this roster.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:17 pm I'm confused is he Uber athletic or does he have lack of bounce?

Being skinny as fuck maybe makes him not very good driving the basketball? I don't know. He's just not that good getting to the hoop a lot of the time. He seems to finish "ok" when he does...who knows. We're looking for answers that I'm starting to worry don't exist.

He's likely reached his ceiling. At lease for college. We've just got to accept what he is and stop expecting him to transform into a senior version of Andrew Wiggins or whoever we wish he was. We simply may "need" him to be better than he's truly capable of being.....and like I've been saying, averaging 15pts a game at Kansas is pretty fucking good. We've had guy who I think are a lot better than Vick not even average that many points or shoot this high of a % from 3pt land. He's having a really good year by normal standards imo. It's just we are needing so much from someone because we're missing something that we normally have. It just may not exist on this roster.
The problem is that he plays nowhere near his ceiling. We have seen his ceiling and it is WAY higher than what he is doing lately. The guy just rarely ever pushes it hard. He jogs on offense and is a step slow on defense. He basically chooses not to use the small number of advantages he has. Why. No clue. Stays up too late? Lazy? Beats me.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I have seen Vick, numerous times in the last 6 games, not move more than a few feet on defensive AND offensive plays.

If Garrett had Vicks offensive skills, he would be All American
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:11 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:08 am

I guess Vick has a lack of bounce, maybe.

but why? Is it poor conditioning? some lingering little injury? Just a lack of focus in general?

as far as I can tell, if he could figure out how to drive he'd be in the league by now. Dude's so quick, and the potential for bounce is at least there. But! He's just never consistently done it. So I'm afeared the issue may be lack of focus/discipline/understanding.

Dude's still far more likely to take a jumper, and often an ill-advised jumper at that. Pretty sure that's a big part of why he's always regressed come conference play: there's something about him that's just too easy to gameplan for in the scouting report.

"dude'll blow by you if he wants, but he rarely wants, so just bait him into more off-balance jumpshots."

or something?
I don't think he has iron feet, by any means. I have just noticed he's not as bouncy as he used to be.

I don't think it's a big deal nor is it a criticism, just an observation. My initial guess is that it's just that he's older and plays a lot more minutes now.
Jakehawk

Post by Jakehawk »

Grimes is playing much better lately. His 3 pt percentage is up to 33 percent. Dotson is hitting 3s at 42 percent. Even with the losses of Dok and SDS, we just needed all these frosh and transfers to get some time together to gel. Our ceiling is still a top 10 team, maybe better, and I think we still win the big 12. We may not be great, but we have some amazing wins, and we're getting some good experience under our belts. Noone will want to play us in March
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If you had no idea who was who and you watched our games, you’d guess Ochai was the McDonald’s AA and lottery pick.
Jakehawk

Post by Jakehawk »

I forgot about him. He's like the x factor for this team. That dude can flat out ball.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Jakehawk wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:46 am Grimes is playing much better lately. His 3 pt percentage is up to 33 percent. Dotson is hitting 3s at 42 percent. Even with the losses of Dok and SDS, we just needed all these frosh and transfers to get some time together to gel. Our ceiling is still a top 10 team, maybe better, and I think we still win the big 12. We may not be great, but we have some amazing wins, and we're getting some good experience under our belts. Noone will want to play us in March
Yep. Grimes is shooting 43.4% from three in his last 6. Weirdly, he is shooting better from three than he is from two the last few weeks. If he can get his mid range dialed in and finish a little better at the rim he'd be right where we were hoping he'd be. It's coming together for him. Slowly but he's getting there.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Not sure why the defense bit on it, but his two drives to a shovel pass to Dedric were alll right.
I am, I said.