Video Games

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Video Games

Post by jfish26 »

This is relevant to kid Christmas purposes: would we expect an Xbox Series X to still be more-or-less state of the art for a few years? Reading things that suggest the next actual console will be 2028ish in coming?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:01 pm This is relevant to kid Christmas purposes: would we expect an Xbox Series X to still be more-or-less state of the art for a few years? Reading things that suggest the next actual console will be 2028ish in coming?
i would think so

i’m on an xb1, and can still play most new releases
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:09 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:01 pm This is relevant to kid Christmas purposes: would we expect an Xbox Series X to still be more-or-less state of the art for a few years? Reading things that suggest the next actual console will be 2028ish in coming?
i would think so

Because: https://theinventory.com/walmart-is-sur ... 1851070384
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:11 pm
i would think so

i haven’t looked much into the x/s or whatever microsoft has out now precisely because, at least for my uses, the xb1 works just fine

my BIL is supposed to be sending us his PS4 to try out. i last had a PS2 forever ago

honestly, though, i miss our wii
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:11 pm
i would think so

Oh, yeah, it will be around for several more years. I bet you have 5+ more years of it and even beyond that, it will still work fine. My daughter just took my old PS4 with her back to KU to play a few games she likes so it lives on 10 years after I bought it.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My PS 4 I played with for a week until my son hauled it off to his room. They didn't want a new console until I started playing it. Kids. About the same game age as Two coach's
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My 10 year old plays on the PS5 maybe once a month. She's more into videos on her iPad and a few Nintendo Switch games these days. My 20 year old had rarely played games at all but stole my PS4 to goof around with Minecraft when she found out her roommate also liked playing it. Once she gets some free time in her adult life, I hope she starts doing more gaming as I think it would be a good outlet for her.

99.9% of the hours spent on my consoles are by me. Some people play golf; I game. The brain puzzles are relaxing for my ADHD and I love the ability to interact with digital art.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I like shooting virtual motherfuckers.

We all have different areas of zen.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

Starfield and BG3 are both great games. The turn-based style of BG3 isn't my favorite, but I played all the Bauldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights games back in the day, so familiar and still enjoy it.

I've been happy with Diablo IV, but also somewhat disappointed. It is such a grind and you never feel like you're overpowered in any way. I know for some that's what they wanted, but I truly enjoyed being able to utterly destroy gobs and gobs of demons/monsters with Diablo III and then bump up the difficulty until you got higher-level gear to go to the next level. With D4, it's very 'incremental' in power increases which can make it feel 'grindy'.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

kubowler99 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:39 pm Starfield and BG3 are both great games. The turn-based style of BG3 isn't my favorite, but I played all the Bauldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights games back in the day, so familiar and still enjoy it.

I've been happy with Diablo IV, but also somewhat disappointed. It is such a grind and you never feel like you're overpowered in any way. I know for some that's what they wanted, but I truly enjoyed being able to utterly destroy gobs and gobs of demons/monsters with Diablo III and then bump up the difficulty until you got higher-level gear to go to the next level. With D4, it's very 'incremental' in power increases which can make it feel 'grindy'.
Do a search for tips on a Diablo 4 leveling build for the kind of character you want. I did this when I set up my new character for this latest season and went from new start through level 50 in a matter of days. There are so many little things that can be done that help. I will probably be trying a new character type sometime soon as I have maxed this one out pretty good.

And yeah, Starfield. This is the first time I wished I also owned an XBOX as I'd love to play that. I doubt my little generic laptop could run it.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

Yeah - I've done that (icy-veins is my go-to site). Still just feels grindy once you get to the 50-60 range. Don't get me wrong, I don't want easy or simple for this, but I would like it to be more...fun? But I'm old and crotchety. :)
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Starfield is visually impressive, and going to different planets and moons and such and learning how to move around in different gravity’s is fantastic.

However, as with many entertainment products of various medium, there are some social and political storylines that don’t seem necessary or really appropriate for a Phucking video game.

My favorite thing to do on Starfield is to go to a planet that has fauna and flora, explore the planet, and all its different biomes, and turn on a playlist I created with various versions of Toto‘s Africa and go hunting for big game. Very fun. Also gets monotonous. Edibles help that.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

kubowler99 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:02 am Yeah - I've done that (icy-veins is my go-to site). Still just feels grindy once you get to the 50-60 range. Don't get me wrong, I don't want easy or simple for this, but I would like it to be more...fun? But I'm old and crotchety. :)
Yeah, I get it. There's a lot of missed opportunities in there for sure. Their money and vendors system is pointless and unnecessary. Been on level 100 for a while now and have never bought a single thing from a vendor. As someone in IT, though, I get that you can't include everything or you'll never finish coding and testing the damn thing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Diablo has been the perfect game for me this year because I get to spend maybe 2 hours a week playing video games these days so when I do get that 2 hour window, I fire it up, and the game is so massive I can just randomly take some side quests and fuck some shit up and get some gear.

I also spend a lot of time trying to read through the skill tree and figure out what kinda dude I want rather than just looking on line for the max effective characters. That's part of the fun for me.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:33 pm Diablo has been the perfect game for me this year because I get to spend maybe 2 hours a week playing video games these days so when I do get that 2 hour window, I fire it up, and the game is so massive I can just randomly take some side quests and fuck some shit up and get some gear.

I also spend a lot of time trying to read through the skill tree and figure out what kinda dude I want rather than just looking on line for the max effective characters. That's part of the fun for me.
Yep, I enjoy that as well. I keep a bunch of the gear that I swap out of in case it fits better for better builds. Now that I have my guy leveled up, I have reset and rebuilt my skill stuff a few times just to try out some of the different skills. I'm better tat everything the second time I do it so it's fun that there is so much adjustable stuff.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

13 year old Oklahoma boy becomes the first ever to “beat” og Tetris

his reaction is as you might expect
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

how do you beat tetras? doesn't it just go on forever?
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:04 am how do you beat tetras? doesn't it just go on forever?
Found this online:

"The assumption I always had was that Tetris goes on forever and ever until you finally run out of space. While that's mostly true, as the game has no story, levels, or any form of progress beyond high scores and increasing speed, you 'beat' the game by crashing it, AKA reaching the "True Killscreen". It's called the "True Killscreen" because, for decades, it was assumed that level 29 was the Killscreen.

For context, the longer you play Tetris, the faster the blocks fall, upping the ante as you're forced to think in split-second moments about where each piece should drop. The speed caps at level 29, making it near impossible to reach the sides. So, the community believed that was the 'end' of the game. It isn't. The end comes when you reach a level so high, Tetris simply crashes."

This video is pretty interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJ5UuknsHU

The kid made it to level 157 before it crashed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I dove into it even more ( last day at the rents house so it's slow livin' ).

Normal methods, i.e. just holding the control pad left or right, maxed out at around level 29 for a while, but people started to figure out a way to tap the pad fast enough where they could move it.

That got people pretty far. And then some guy found another method to tap it quickly from the top and roll the backside of the controller where the pad is ( wearing a glove to make it slide faster I guess ) with your other hand so that you could move the pieces even faster.

This breaks the color pattern of the blocks so you have to get lucky that your colors don't blend with the background so you can't see the next block. I guess this kid, with this new method, got far enough to where he crashed the game.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yeah, watch that video I posted if that isn't already where you got your info. It's pretty cool.