Automobiles

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by TDub »

well, sweet...awesome. Hit a Pheasant this morning at about 65. Suicidal damn dumb bird.

Nice dent in the front corner above the headlight on the curve of the quarter panel.

Cool. Suppose I'll try and pull the dent out but the paints gonna crack. Awesome.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:17 pm When I buy I car, (much like when buying a computer), I always worry that as soon as I drive it off the lot, I'll find out within a week or two that I missed out on a new innovation that I would like to have had. In an effort to help you avoid that heartbreak TDub, here's something that if I were in the market for a new car, I'd want to have known about:

Chicks love it. Be the first on your block!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:29 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:17 pm When I buy I car, (much like when buying a computer), I always worry that as soon as I drive it off the lot, I'll find out within a week or two that I missed out on a new innovation that I would like to have had. In an effort to help you avoid that heartbreak TDub, here's something that if I were in the market for a new car, I'd want to have known about:

I didn't even notice that TDub didn't thank me.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:09 am well, sweet...awesome. Hit a Pheasant this morning at about 65. Suicidal damn dumb bird.

Nice dent in the front corner above the headlight on the curve of the quarter panel.

Cool. Suppose I'll try and pull the dent out but the paints gonna crack. Awesome.
One down, two to go*.

*There's zero chance I haven't regaled Kcrim with the story of how at ~ age 11 I hit the first 3 pheasants I ever shot at, with a .410 single shot shotgun, I still have today.

Oh, and sorry about your vehicle. I think that should be seen as an omen. A sugn that confirms you need a new one, or two, not to mention what people will think if you drive around in a dented car/truck with paint that's chipping.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:45 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:29 am

I didn't even notice that TDub didn't thank me.
YO DAWG YER A SINGLE MOM WHO JUST NEEDS TO FIX YER CAR SO YOU CAN GET YER KIDS TO SCHOOL BUT YOU ALSO SAID YOU LIKE WATERFALLS SO WE PUT A WATERFALL IN YER TRUNK DAWG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:49 am
TDub wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:09 am well, sweet...awesome. Hit a Pheasant this morning at about 65. Suicidal damn dumb bird.

One down, two to go*.

*There's zero chance I haven't regaled Kcrim with the story of how at ~ age 11 I hit the first 3 pheasants I ever shot at, with a .410 single shot shotgun, I still have today.

Oh, and sorry about your vehicle. I think that should be seen as an omen. A sugn that confirms you need a new one, or two, not to mention what people will think if you drive around in a dented car/truck with paint that's chipping.
Pheasants with a .410 well done and delicious.

Also, ha! this particular truck has a broken and dented tailgate (probably shouldn't unload gun safes by yourself) and a broken out back window (no idea, shattered on its own one day while parked in my driveway) that is infilled with plywood, visqueen and blue tape. The new dent is just icing on the cake.

I need to fix the window and the dent and trade it in, but it's paid off so I have a hard time letting go.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"...has a broken and dented tailgate (probably shouldn't unload gun safes by yourself) and a broken out back window (no idea, shattered on its own one day while parked in my driveway) that is infilled with plywood, visqueen and blue tape...

That post sucks without pictures.

I'm the same way. I drove a 96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd for 16 years, and others close to that long. As long as they're reliable, I have a very hard time wanting to spend the $.

I loved that Jeep. Drove it all over Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Mo and Arkansas on mt biking trips and it never let me down.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:46 pm
Overlander wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:51 pm I am not a Toyota fan boy, and the wife does have an XC40 Momentum R.
That Volvo is pretty bad ass...but in those driving conditions, I would go with the 4Runner.

(that really hurts me to say, but I understand not everyone is a Jeep fan)
I had a Tacoma I loved. I do think the Volvo is probably a higher quality vehicle.

A jeep doesn't really make sense for us and our set up currently.

But yea, I mean we've got roughly 3 miles on rock/gravel each way everyday taking kids to school. Wintery days we can go the long route and stay on pavement but our road, despite technically being a county road, almost never gets plowed. So, its either rock and gravel, or snow and ice, or both nearly daily for 9 months a year.

I think the Volvo would actually probably do just fine. But I like the higher clearance etc of the 4runner. I actually prefer the appearance and body style of the 4runner too.

Again tho, inventory is low and prices are high. So, we shall see what all shakes out.
For your purposes, I'd lean strongly 4Runner (higher clearance, truck-based platform, fewer systems that can go wrong).

I love the Volvo, and for my purposes (commuting, kid sports) the Volvo's strengths (creature comforts and tech/sound) carry the day. But it's not what I'd pick if I had the driving requirements you're describing.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:34 am "...has a broken and dented tailgate (probably shouldn't unload gun safes by yourself) and a broken out back window (no idea, shattered on its own one day while parked in my driveway) that is infilled with plywood, visqueen and blue tape...

I loved that Jeep.
This guy gets it.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

gina has approved the first fully autonomous air-taxi, a 2-seater made by Ehang, which is looking to expand to US and European markets in the coming years

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/10/13/chi ... taxis.html

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Nope
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Wherever that thing is headed, it is going to beat the paramedics there by at least a half hour.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:10 pm Wherever that thing is headed, it is going to beat the paramedics there by at least a half hour.
lol
Anand Giridharadas
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Fake news. We already have those. Check out Archer. Beating paramedics is exactly one of the early selling points for approval. But that is just dressing.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

doesn’t Archer still have pilots?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:04 pm https://www.telotrucks.com/
The concept is intriguing. With 60 " wide bed and you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood? I want to know what the ground clearance is. It's a tool, not a fashion accessory. I don't really care what it looks like if it does the job well.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:47 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:04 pm https://www.telotrucks.com/
The concept is intriguing. With 60 " wide bed and you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood? I want to know what the ground clearance is. It's a tool, not a fashion accessory. I don't really care what it looks like if it does the job well.
Some people find your whimsical machismo winsome.

The only thing that's missing is you in a pair of your color-coordinated capris:

Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Japhy’s capri pants can be described many ways, color co-ordinated is not one of them.

Think masculine, but in a George Michael during the WHAM years kinda way
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:07 pm Japhy’s capri pants can be described many ways, color co-ordinated is not one of them.

Think masculine, but in a George Michael during the WHAM years kinda way
That's the vibe I was searching for!
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

If we are being intellectually honest, this really isn't about my wearing hiking knickers is it?

Mashing potatoes by hand can be hard. I apologize for shaming you for being old and weak.

If you come to Solstice next summer, know that we will have Little Rascal scooters available for those who need them.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.