Automobiles

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by jhawks99 »

My Camry turned 10 years old this year. It has 120,000 miles on it. Hopefully, it is the last car I that I buy. Still runs well and I like it a lot.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This is from seekingalpha.com

Tesla blamed customers for failures of parts it already knew were faulty - report

Dec 21, 2023

Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) has been aware of the chronic vehicle defects that tens of thousands of customers have faced, for much longer than previously thought, but instead chose to shift the blame to the drivers, according to Reuters' review of the automaker's records.

The investigative report comes on the heels of Tesla's (TSLA) recall of over 2 million vehicles to address Autopilot safety concerns raised by a regulatory probe.

The frequent failures of suspension or steering parts had been observed for at least seven years, impacting Tesla (TSLA) vehicles worldwide, the report said citing records and interviews with former managers, service technicians and customers.

Tesla (TSLA) often blamed customers for these failures, claiming they abused the vehicles, according to interviews with former service managers as well as a 2020 letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The firm even charged some customers whose cars were no longer under warranty to replace the faulty parts, despite its engineers knowing that the components had high failure rates.

Tesla (TSLA) had resolved roughly 400 complaints related to the aft-link component in China during 2016-2020, and only issued a recall in the country after regulatory pressure. However, it never recalled the faulty part in the U.S. and Europe, despite frequent failures worldwide.

The automaker has so far issued nine vehicle recalls in the U.S. for steering and suspension issues since 2018, NHTSA records showed.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:56 am This is from seekingalpha.com

Tesla blamed customers for failures of parts it already knew were faulty - report

Dec 21, 2023

Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) has been aware of the chronic vehicle defects that tens of thousands of customers have faced, for much longer than previously thought, but instead chose to shift the blame to the drivers, according to Reuters' review of the automaker's records.

The investigative report comes on the heels of Tesla's (TSLA) recall of over 2 million vehicles to address Autopilot safety concerns raised by a regulatory probe.

The frequent failures of suspension or steering parts had been observed for at least seven years, impacting Tesla (TSLA) vehicles worldwide, the report said citing records and interviews with former managers, service technicians and customers.

Tesla (TSLA) often blamed customers for these failures, claiming they abused the vehicles, according to interviews with former service managers as well as a 2020 letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The firm even charged some customers whose cars were no longer under warranty to replace the faulty parts, despite its engineers knowing that the components had high failure rates.

Tesla (TSLA) had resolved roughly 400 complaints related to the aft-link component in China during 2016-2020, and only issued a recall in the country after regulatory pressure. However, it never recalled the faulty part in the U.S. and Europe, despite frequent failures worldwide.

The automaker has so far issued nine vehicle recalls in the U.S. for steering and suspension issues since 2018, NHTSA records showed.
It's almost like - and bear with me here - when you produce vehicles for purposes of generating tax credits under programs that will phase out as your types of vehicles are more widely adopted, you don't really put all that much thought into quality control.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

The fit and finish on Teslas are not up to par for its’ competition
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Overlander wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:19 pm The fit and finish on Teslas are not up to par for its’ competition
But the warm fires are inspiring. Nothing I like better than seeing a Tesla burn on a cold winter's day.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:19 pm The fit and finish on Teslas are not up to par for its’ competition
It's nice being the only kid in the sandbox, right?

versus

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Sparko wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:34 pm
But the warm fires are inspiring. Nothing I like better than seeing a Tesla burn on a cold winter's day.
Ah yes, the “Supercharged Ambient Heat” feature.

Only an additional $970/yr subscription
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:35 pm
It's nice being the only kid in the sandbox, right?

versus

Yeah, if it weren’t for companies like Rivian, V.A.G., Mercedes, etc jumping into Teslas sandbox.

I predict Tesla will slide down the sales chart fairly rapidly
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Toyota supposedly has a solid-state battery coming out that will dwarf the mileage ranges of what’s currently available

tangentially, watched a documentary recently about where “our” electronics go when they die, and the amount of precious metals that go with them…there’s so much that has already been mined, but society has largely made the choice against recycling and reusing what’s already been mined because of, basically, convenience
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:43 pm My Camry turned 10 years old this year. It has 120,000 miles on it...Still runs well and I like it a lot.

^^^^^ This, I get. In spades.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:43 pm My Camry turned 10 years old this year. It has 120,000 miles on it. Hopefully, it is the last car I that I buy. Still runs well and I like it a lot.
I hope that your car lasts you another 10+ years and you still outlive it and have to buy another one.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:01 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:43 pm My Camry turned 10 years old this year. It has 120,000 miles on it. Hopefully, it is the last car I that I buy. Still runs well and I like it a lot.
I hope that your car lasts you another 10+ years and you still outlive it and have to buy another one.
That was my first thought too - that 99 isn't nearly old enough to be thinking that.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:59 pm Toyota supposedly has a solid-state battery coming out that will dwarf the mileage ranges of what’s currently available

tangentially, watched a documentary recently about where “our” electronics go when they die, and the amount of precious metals that go with them…there’s so much that has already been mined, but society has largely made the choice against recycling and reusing what’s already been mined because of, basically, convenience
It's a problem.

A good example is TVs.

During the pandemic especially, people spent all sorts of money building out their outdoor living spaces (decks, patios, garages and so on). Well, weatherproof TVs are extremely expensive. To the point that many people are choosing to buy a non-weatherproof TV every year or two, because that's cheaper than buying a weatherproof one and having it last 5+ years.

That's extremely wasteful and environmentally harmful of course.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Let me put it this way. Mrs. 99 ain't coughing up any money for 99 to buy a car. If this one goes spark plugs up, 99's next car will have peddles.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:56 am Let me put it this way. Mrs. 99 ain't coughing up any money for 99 to buy a car. If this one goes spark plugs up, 99's next car will have peddles.
I don't have one, but some people love their electric bikes. But

Minnesota
Anand Giridharadas
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

https://youtu.be/Uhx-26GfCBU?si=38vxWndIJCjLCTSa

There is no correlation between bike riding in cities and temperatures
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I saw a tesla broke down on the side of the road today.

It had s homemade hitch on it and was trying to tow a 16ishft flat deck double axle trailer.

with a tesla.

wtf is wrong with people?
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Elon said it would be fine....
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DrPepper wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:19 pm https://youtu.be/Uhx-26GfCBU?si=38vxWndIJCjLCTSa

There is no correlation between bike riding in cities and temperatures
Thanks, that was very interesting. It's been coming up in my YouTube feed for a while, and I kept thinking I should watch it. I used to ride enough in the winter that I had studded bike tires, and we rode mt bikes year round, unless the snow was too deep.

But, I did not and would not commute by bike in KC, in Winter, or any other time, unless I would've had to. The distance isn't the problem, it's the lack of infrastructure and being forced to share the space with cars, of course. Envious of the places like Denmark and Finland that do.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

why does a tailgate need to do anything other than open and close?

6-function? jfc
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?