Re: Who is the GOAT

Post by Deleted User 266 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kobe FG% 44.7%, 3FG% 32.9%.
LeBron 50.4%, 34.3%.
The year Kobe got the most of his 50, 60 point games was the year he took 27.2 FGA per game.
The most FGA per game in a season for LeBron was 23.1.

A three minute scan on his seasons:
Kobe has had a 49 point game where he took 38 shots.
A 44 point game where he took 41 shots.
A 45 point game where he took 40 shots.
A 50 point game where he took 41 shots.
A 53 point game where he took 38 shots.
A 53 point game where he took 44 shots.
A 58 point game where he took 45 shots.
A 60 point game where he took 37 shots.

In the year that LeBron took 23.1 shots per game, not once did he attempt even 37 shots.

So...context.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

It's MJ.

Let's just stop this.
Deleted User 276

Post by Deleted User 276 »

Opinions. Everyone has them.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:40 am Kobe FG% 44.7%, 3FG% 32.9%.
LeBron 50.4%, 34.3%.
The year Kobe got the most of his 50, 60 point games was the year he took 27.2 FGA per game.
The most FGA per game in a season for LeBron was 23.1.

A three minute scan on his seasons:
Kobe has had a 49 point game where he took 38 shots.
A 44 point game where he took 41 shots.
A 45 point game where he took 40 shots.
A 50 point game where he took 41 shots.
A 53 point game where he took 38 shots.
A 53 point game where he took 44 shots.
A 58 point game where he took 45 shots.
A 60 point game where he took 37 shots.

In the year that LeBron took 23.1 shots per game, not once did he attempt even 37 shots.

So...context.
Also, Jordan, KD, and James all have higher career ppg than Bryant.

Give me the guy who will go out there every night and get you 28. You can count on him.
I'll take consistency over a guy who can get hot every now and then. If you get several nights in the 50s and 60s and you're averaging 25 ppg, you have a lot of off nights.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 276

I think Kobe is better than KD.

But I hate the "it's MJ and nobody else has an argument" attitude.... Wilt has a case. LeBron has a case. Maybe 1 or 2 others.

Different eras. Different positions. Different quality of teammates. So much goes into it.
Deleted User 266

Forgetting GOAT conversation, obviously you have to take shots to make shots. While I believe he missed more shots than anyone else in NBA history, often his shots mattered. A lot. Enough so that he has 5 rings to show for them.

I'll take Kobe on my team over anyone else who was not a center or named Jordan or James - or maybe Johnson too.
Just one man's opinion.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Depends on if it's peak Kobe and for how many seasons.
If you get to pick your seasons and you are in todays NBA for one season, give me Steph Curry 15-16, who shot 45% from 3, 57% from 2 and averaged more assists than Kobe ever did in his career and had more rebounds and steals per game than in Kobe's best season ( 05-06 ).

*That is, of course, if I can't pick from either MJ or LeBron or a center.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Max

/Thread
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 266

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:24 am Depends on if it's peak Kobe and for how many seasons.
If you get to pick your seasons and you are in todays NBA for one season, give me Steph Curry 15-16, who shot 45% from 3, 57% from 2 and averaged more assists than Kobe ever did in his career and had more rebounds and steals per game than in Kobe's best season ( 05-06 ).

*That is, of course, if I can't pick from either MJ or LeBron or a center.
Great call pdub!
I would take 15-16 Steph over Kobe too.
Giving it minimal thought, as great as 15-16 Steph was, I might take 84-85 Bird over 15-16 Steph.
I said "might".
Is defense a big factor in who I would take? I have to say Kobe defense > Steph's defense so maybe that would tip the scale for me. Meanwhile, obviously Steph's shooting > Kobe's shooting.
Couldn't go wrong with either guy.
To give you a little insight in to how my brain works - I honestly feel Magic was as skilled if not more skilled as an all around player than Jordan was. Would I take Magic over Jordan? Probably not but I wouldn't be too disappointed if I did.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Anybody average 50 and 25 in a season?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xr3i9jpiTE
But also look at the other guys.
Deleted User 276

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What will the end of the LeBron James era look like?

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/8/21/2080 ... rement-age
Every pro basketball career is either on its way up or on its way out. Each day is either a step towards improvement and reinvention, or a stumble towards decay. LeBron James has spent the bulk of his career enjoying that first stage, rabidly discovering new ways to stretch his domination longer than anyone before him ever has.

In so many ways LeBron molded the NBA to his liking, from one stylistic era to the next. But now at the age of 35, LeBron’s authority will soon be a folk tale. Irreversible decline comes for every athlete, and so much about LeBron’s future — particularly how he embraces it — is unknown.

[...]

[All] of LeBron’s accomplishments may prevent him from conducting a realistic assessment of where he is, and how difficult the road ahead will be. His childhood was steeped in hardship, including the difficulties of being black in the United States of America. But, for the most part, his adult life has deftly avoided obstacles. That will soon change when he’s confronted by signs of the same end that comes for all NBA stars.

If LeBron wants to continue as an NBA Goliath, desperation may very well be his best source of motivation. To channel it, he first must acknowledge where he stands in a league that employs other alpha predators who are impervious to his intimidation. Supreme confidence is a requirement to stay on top, but LeBron will also need to accept a future when he isn’t consistently the best player on the floor.

[...]

For the past 20 years, LeBron was either at the top of basketball or destined to get there. In the public consciousness, he has only ever been the King. Now, just holding on as the NBA’s most important and powerful figure, the uncertainty around his transition towards something else is palpable.

Regardless of how the next two or three years play out, no narrative deserves more attention from an audience that has invested so much in his mythology. LeBron’s time with us is fleeting and should not be taken for granted. Whatever happens next probably won’t impact his legacy, but the opportunity to further expand it — if that’s what he wants to do — exists. If anyone can make a fall from the throne look smooth, it’s LeBron James. And until the day he retires, we are witnesses.

Still.
noosh

Post by noosh »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:12 pm What will the end of the LeBron James era look like?

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/8/21/2080 ... rement-age
Every pro basketball career is either on its way up or on its way out. Each day is either a step towards improvement and reinvention, or a stumble towards decay. LeBron James has spent the bulk of his career enjoying that first stage, rabidly discovering new ways to stretch his domination longer than anyone before him ever has.

In so many ways LeBron molded the NBA to his liking, from one stylistic era to the next. But now at the age of 35, LeBron’s authority will soon be a folk tale. Irreversible decline comes for every athlete, and so much about LeBron’s future — particularly how he embraces it — is unknown.

[...]

[All] of LeBron’s accomplishments may prevent him from conducting a realistic assessment of where he is, and how difficult the road ahead will be. His childhood was steeped in hardship, including the difficulties of being black in the United States of America. But, for the most part, his adult life has deftly avoided obstacles. That will soon change when he’s confronted by signs of the same end that comes for all NBA stars.

If LeBron wants to continue as an NBA Goliath, desperation may very well be his best source of motivation. To channel it, he first must acknowledge where he stands in a league that employs other alpha predators who are impervious to his intimidation. Supreme confidence is a requirement to stay on top, but LeBron will also need to accept a future when he isn’t consistently the best player on the floor.

[...]

For the past 20 years, LeBron was either at the top of basketball or destined to get there. In the public consciousness, he has only ever been the King. Now, just holding on as the NBA’s most important and powerful figure, the uncertainty around his transition towards something else is palpable.

Regardless of how the next two or three years play out, no narrative deserves more attention from an audience that has invested so much in his mythology. LeBron’s time with us is fleeting and should not be taken for granted. Whatever happens next probably won’t impact his legacy, but the opportunity to further expand it — if that’s what he wants to do — exists. If anyone can make a fall from the throne look smooth, it’s LeBron James. And until the day he retires, we are witnesses.

Still.

I mean we're watching it right now dude.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

for the most part, his adult life has deftly avoided obstacles.

Except for, like, the warriors.

And the spurs.

And the mavs.

And the truth.

And the spurs some more.

And the pistons.

The fucking pistons.

and, well...
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:49 am World Class Douche

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/275 ... co-tuesday
Wow.
Yes, that is a douche move.
Deleted User 266

Careful kids! If you keep calling LeBron a douche he just may submit the necessary paperwork with the United States Patent and Trademark Office to trademark "LeBron is a douche".

As big of a douche as LeBron can be, those who enjoy (and may actually get off on) his TAAAAAACCCCCCCCOOOOOOO TUUUUUEEEEESSSSSSDAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY social media posts are just as big if not bigger douches than LeBron is.