Re: Who is the GOAT

Post by Arjhawk »

Ahem...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Wilts a stud. He’s in my top 3.

I still think Embiid or Giannis would have put up close to Wilt like stats back then.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:21 pm At first I thought this was a parody and Scottie wasn't really talking.

Scottie is in need of medical help.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/statu ... 5180144646
Scottie before drug abuse (he already had an alcohol abuse problem) and before Marcus Jordan was banging his ex-wife.
P.S. Where is the letter S written on that piece of paper after the word - mine? :lol:

https://twitter.com/DieHardCBfans/statu ... 4549565440
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

This doesn't make him the goat but.....

Most people would say Jordan was a complete failure as an NBA owner. Correct, his TEAM/S failed.
However, HE did not.
Supposedly, his $275 million investment became worth $3 BILLION.
Moral of the story is..... What?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:35 am This doesn't make him the goat but.....

Most people would say Jordan was a complete failure as an NBA owner. Correct, his TEAM/S failed.
However, HE did not.
Supposedly, his $275 million investment became worth $3 BILLION.
Moral of the story is..... What?
That if you start with enough money that you don't always need to be good at some things to make a lot of money at those things.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I like Charles and wasn't sure where to post this, so:

https://youtu.be/K6kuuAl5wog
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Nice story......

https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/sta ... 6451330056

Yep, MJ held Federico López (the PG) to zero points and zero assists in that game.

BUT.......
Chuck fails to mention Mike shot 1-11 in the game and had just 4 points. ;)
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

pdub wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:45 am Wilts a stud. He’s in my top 3.

I still think Embiid or Giannis would have put up close to Wilt like stats back then.
Not so much Giannis but certainly Embiid has 3 pointers adding to their scoring. Same with Jordan and James. Better defense today but also better assist makers to set them up. Wilt's impact on the game is unparalleled in terms of records set and rules changed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Embiid would have laid those unathletic peach basket caretakers to rest nightly.
He would take their souls.
Embiid vs Wilt would be the main event.

Embiid actually, right now, has the same 2 point % as Wilt did for his career. That's against actual people who know how to play basketball.

You'd have to think that'd go up by 10-15%.
Give him 40 FG a night like Wilt got and you've got yourself similar stats, I think.
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

Wilt was a freak of nature for his time-someone with his size, strength, and athleticism combined was almost unheard of in that time. Today, with the advantages of nutrition, strength training, and all the competitive sports training available while growing up, there are athletes with comparable size, strength, and athleticism to Wilt. The game has changed also. Really no way to compare today's Joel and Giannis, or Lebron with Wilt. Yes, all of those would have been dominant if transplanted back in time with all the attributes they have now. No way to know what they would be without all the strength training and nutritional advantages and lifetime training of today. I think all we can do is look in awe at each as the dominant athletes they are in their own time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I think all we can do is look in awe at each as the dominant athletes they are in their own time."

No doubt.

But often when I think of these scenarios, GOATS, since they are hypotheticals, I imagine if the player, as they are now, was suddenly teleported in time and space to that era, so we aren't doing away with strength training, nor are we doing away with learning moves/skills/knowledge from all of the players that came before.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:08 pm "I think all we can do is look in awe at each as the dominant athletes they are in their own time."

No doubt.

But often when I think of these scenarios, GOATS, since they are hypotheticals, I imagine if the player, as they are now, was suddenly teleported in time and space to that era, so we aren't doing away with strength training, nor are we doing away with learning moves/skills/knowledge from all of the players that came before.
Today, GOAT has simply turned into people's favorites of the reasonable GOAT candidates. They bend and selective choose or ignore whatever data needed to deem their favorites as the GOAT.

I agree with you that those that are in contention to be considered as the GOAT in their category are all made u[ of athletes whose abilities transcend time. Wilt and Kareem would be great now and MJ and LeBron would have been great back then. Some athletes are just elite combos of talent, coordination and drive.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:19 am Embiid would have laid those unathletic peach basket caretakers to rest nightly.
He would take their souls.
Embiid vs Wilt would be the main event.

Embiid actually, right now, has the same 2 point % as Wilt did for his career. That's against actual people who know how to play basketball.

You'd have to think that'd go up by 10-15%.
Give him 40 FG a night like Wilt got and you've got yourself similar stats, I think.
The flip side of the argument is that despite all of Embiid's "elite athleticism" if he had played back to back to backs while playing almost every minute of every game like Wilt was, he'd have probably been broken into a million pieces by Christmas.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:19 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:08 pm "I think all we can do is look in awe at each as the dominant athletes they are in their own time."

No doubt.

Today, GOAT has simply turned into people's favorites of the reasonable GOAT candidates. They bend and selective choose or ignore whatever data needed to deem their favorites as the GOAT.

I agree with you that those that are in contention to be considered as the GOAT in their category are all made u[ of athletes whose abilities transcend time. Wilt and Kareem would be great now and MJ and LeBron would have been great back then. Some athletes are just elite combos of talent, coordination and drive.
i don’t think it’s ignoring data as much as it is prioritizing different aspects or stats
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:30 pm

No doubt.

i don’t think it’s ignoring data as much as it is prioritizing different aspects or stats
People ignore the first 7 years of MJ's playoff history as well as the impact of expansion on the talent of the teams he competed against.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No doubt.

^^^
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:34 pm

People ignore the first 7 years of MJ's playoff history as well as the impact of expansion on the talent of the teams he competed against.
I'm not sure I understand the first 7 years of MJ's playoff history dig/s. Just as I don't really understand the digs on LeBron for not winning championships.

When people point out Jordan's "failures" in his first 7 years I feel like asking if Jordan was a better player his first 7 playoff years or his last 7 playoff years. I figure most people would say/assume the 2nd 7.
Are they right?
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Strength-wise, Wilt would have man-handled Embiid.