Re: Who is the GOAT

Post by pdub »

That's not a stat.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:37 pm Just saw this insane stat on twitter:

LeBron James has played against 35% of all the players who have ever played in NBA history.
Did he actually play against them or were some/many of them on NBA rosters when their teams faced each other and they didn't actually play in the game/s?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:37 pm Just saw this insane stat on twitter:

LeBron James has played against 35% of all the players who have ever played in NBA history.
Did he actually play against them or were some/many of them on NBA rosters when their teams faced each other and they didn't actually play in the game/s?
I'm gathering that ( bigger benches, more teams ).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:54 pmThat's not a stat.
absolutely its a stat
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Proof and/or source?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lake ... story/amp/

edit:

By 2020, StatHead has put the total number of players who have played at least one game in the NBA at around 4,500. Four seasons have passed since, so that number should now be closer to around 4,800. 35 percent of that amounts to about 1,680 players.

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-lebron- ... in-history#
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:11 pm Proof and/or source?
it's 2024 we dont need proof or sources...we just say things and that makes them true.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

fare.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Here is some discussion about it.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2024/01/lebron ... nba-career
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s a “cool” factoid, but not all that unique

in one of the links i posted, Vince Carter was said to have “played” against 36% of all nba’ers

the unique thing, as most of these links point out, is that he (bronbron) continues to be a substantial contributor
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:05 am it’s a “cool” factoid, but not all that unique

in one of the links i posted, Vince Carter was said to have “played” against 36% of all nba’ers

the unique thing, as most of these links point out, is that he (bronbron) continues to be a substantial contributor
Carter is the only player in NBA history who has played more seasons than James so that doesn't exactly make it "not all that unique".
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:12 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:05 am it’s a “cool” factoid, but not all that unique

Carter is the only player in NBA history who has played more seasons than James so that doesn't exactly make it "not all that unique".
https://www.thesportster.com/nba-player ... t-careers/

all those guys had long careers

at what point does it become unique for you? 30%? 25%?

sorry, i just don’t see longevity, for some of the greatest athletes in the world (and in a minimal contact sport, and with world-class training and nutrition) to be all that special in and of itself

as i alluded to, it’s the continued production that, at least to me, is most noteworthy
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:17 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:12 am

https://www.thesportster.com/nba-player ... t-careers/

all those guys had long careers

at what point does it become unique for you? 30%? 25%?

sorry, i just don’t see longevity, for some of the greatest athletes in the world (and in a minimal contact sport, and with world-class training and nutrition) to be all that special in and of itself

as i alluded to, it’s the continued production that, at least to me, is most noteworthy
It's unique, not special. I am not attempting to elevate him in some GOAT conversation because of it. It's just a weird fact, that's all. I just found it to be interesting when I saw it, sheesh.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:38 am

I meant tdub's 'stats', not yours.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:18 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:38 am

I meant tdub's 'stats', not yours.
Here's my stats and "proof"! 580,000 flops!

https://babylonbee.com/news/lebron-jame ... ing-record
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lmao
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

The Big Dipper was the coolest imo and one of the reasons I chose KU. So many interesting facts about him. He had fun during the off season, like water skiing in the Caribbean. Does anyone really think someone will score more than 100 points in an NBA game?
Last edited by dolomite on Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

dolomite wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:16 pm The Big Dipper was the coolest imo and one of the reasons I chose KU. So many interesting facts about him. He had fun during the off season, like water skiing in the Caribbean. Does anyone really think someone will score more than 100 points in a game?
NBA game? Probably not. Now watch it happen in the next week.

Meanwhile, my bet is no one scores more than 272 in a HS game.

https://www.sports-king.com/mats-wermel ... ball-3523/

Jack Taylor scored 138 in a college game. His team won 179-104.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

LeBrons career of flopping makes it hard to give him GOAT status
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I know its kind of arbitrary but for me, he needs another NBA title and NBA Finals MVP.
That would lock it in for me, personally.
A title short of Jordan but with a ton of title appearances and the all time leader in points plus all the rebounds and assists records...in a league that was ( yes, absolutely, and if you disagree than any argument against the above with me is immediately moot ) a more talented league than Jordans?
That's the kicker.

And yes, I watched Jordan play, everyone calm down.