Redshirt rules

Kansas Basketball.
nu_bronco

Redshirt rules

Post by nu_bronco »

So, in college football this year a person can now redshirt if they play in 4 games or less. Does anyone know if there was any changes to redshirt rules for basketball? Curious about KU maybe redshirting Ochai Agbaji but not sure if he could get playing time besides the exhibition games and still keep the potential for a redshirt.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Redshirt rules

Post by pdub »

I don't think it applies to basketball.
I would welcome this rule to basketball though.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I think it is almost guaranteed he redshirts after hearing Selfs comments.. it's either that or charlie Moore is going to be a huge disappointment because Self pretty much already said that's who he's got to surpass on the depth chart (I guess KJ to an extent as well) to get meaningful minutes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You know who we should ask about this?
Morningstar.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Assface!
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 75

I still can't believe Brady played the same amount of NBA games as Elijah Johnson.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:40 am I don't think it applies to basketball.
I would welcome this rule to basketball though.
1. I am generally in favor of greater freedom of movement for players.

2. I would be in favor of a rule allowing basketball players to play the equivalent of 4 football games (roughly 1/3 of a regular season, or 10 games) while preserving a year of eligibility.

3. If you do that, AND you're going to keep a year-in-residence requirement for transfers, then I think you would need to implement this 10-game rule in a way that avoids the problem football's having this year (with kids basically getting the benefit of all the coaching and other stuff through 1/3 of the season, then leaving, then being eligible from day one at another place).
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Once an upperclassman checks into any game, regular season or exibition game they have burned their redshirt.

Freshman are allowed to play in exibition games without burning their redshirt.

Medical reshiets are a different story. I have seen 10-15 games played and still got a redshirt granted.

And, there isn't a rule that stops you, if needed, to burn the redshirt by design.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I figured it wasn't going to be the same but wished it would.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think with the rule changes, we should be able to pull bradys redshirt and have him eligible this season.

just need to get the NCAA to look into jamari's academics. so we can get him cleared and back out on the court too
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sounds like we're getting close to "break glass in case of emergency" territory.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Also, Ochai is far from the worst perimeter shooter on the team.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

As an added bonus, maybe he doesn't play games half-asleep.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 pm Sounds like we're getting close to "break glass in case of emergency" territory.
If he can shoot better than 31% from deep then we need him.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, are we suggesting Ochai is the solution to our troubles?
Deleted User 75

Imo, it'd be pretty unfair to the kid to pull it off in January even though he'd still only get maybe 10min a game max?

Who we sitting down for him? Not dotson. Not grimes. Not vick.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Well, personnel needs change a lot with Doke's injury. I would be shocked if we didn't go to four-out as the primary set. That means we need another body on the perimeter.

I don't think it's a matter of whether you'd sit Dotson, Grimes or Vick for him. I think it's that you now need six perimeter guys - Dotson, Vick, Grimes, Moore, Garrett...and one more.
Deleted User 75

Kj. Mitch.....

We don't ALWAYS have to play small. Hell, with our limited shooting it might actually be better to play Mitch and KJ alongside dedric.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:51 pm Kj. Mitch.....

We don't ALWAYS have to play small. Hell, with our limited shooting it might actually be better to play Mitch and KJ alongside dedric.
KJ is terrible. And, in my opinion, we have looked like absolute shit for the most part pairing Dedric with another big. That three Mitch put up yesterday is a good example. Bad decision that came from bad floor chemistry.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think the Mitch 3 was when he was in with McCormack. Regardless, I agree that 4 interchangeable players around the perimeter is what Dedric plays best with.

Also, Ochai was hurt almost all of 1st semester, so if he indeed starts playing, it's not like we just wasted away his 1st semester. He can also RS at any time in his career. He can also refuse to play this year and keep the RS. There is 0 unfairness to playing him now.