Beaty Fired:

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Beaty Fired:

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Correct. They should have won that game. Offense was not good after the opening drive when they just destroyed Coastal.

But this program is in a deep, deep hole.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

A part of me is not bothered by the loss.

I think any staff taking this job needs to know early on the hill that is ahead of them. Mangino lost at home 39-16 to Bowling Green his first year.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Urban Meyer was the coach of Bowling Green that year.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

As KU fans we don't want to believe that we are in that deep of a hole but this program is. That isn't an excuse that is a fact. The mis-management of scholarships starting with Weis and the near death blows applied by Zenger just about killed over this program.

I don't doubt the Les hire. It was about time that KUAD took football seriously but they weren't going to take football serious with soft hires like Beaty who had no business being a HC. You bring in Les his name still carries clout and with that clout carries pull. Same with Long.

We would all love for KU to magically change over night but that just isn't going to be the case. This is a multi year rebuilding project that has just started. When the program has been this bad, for this long it takes time to change.

Agreed about older Les K. You have to believe Les is buying time for this year and then trying to make a splash hire in the offseason. This team desperately needs a QB. You get a great QB that can accelrate your winning timeline. Watching Miles to Go ep. 6 my goodness is that man old. Looks like the players grandpa. I'm sure he knows more about the game than anyone else but I wonder what that says to recruits.

I am going to be very interested to see what happens on Friday night.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:04 am A part of me is not bothered by the loss.

I think any staff taking this job needs to know early on the hill that is ahead of them. Mangino lost at home 39-16 to Bowling Green his first year.
I wouldn't discount that loss.
Bowling Green had a coach named Urban Meyer in 2002 and they went 9-3.
That was a pretty good BG football team.

* Edit
OOOPS! Just noticed the post after your's. Someone else pointed out U.M. was their coach.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The point is that Mangino took some big lumps in his first season. He knew right away that it's tough to win here. The reason he won here is because he channeled his mentor Bill Snyder and worked 24/7/365. It's essentially what it takes.

Some guys aren't cut out for that. Beaty was not. Weis was not. Weis was notoriously lazy. Beaty always talked about "family first" and made sure his staff was off the clock at 5:00 PM.

Apologies gutter, I did forget that I have to spell out everything or be kept in check on the minute details.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Correct. The previous 2 staffs had their issues. While being understaffed as well. Like it's fine if you want to take your kid to school and then back to the office or things along those lines. What won't work here is what Beaty did, being home early and all of that. Family life is and should be important to basically everyone except coaches at a high level.

Weis had the appearance of a hard worker by having a bed in his office and all of that, but he was so horribly bad at work ethic and all of that stuff that happened between Sunday and Friday.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We all agree that Les is putting in the right building blocks for the future. The question is how quickly will those moves pay off.
Holidaysmore - 2005
noosh

Post by noosh »

Why do coaches need to work so much? My guess is because it's a lot of bullshit time, frankly. I mean they aren't CEOs trying to figure out market position and huge new multi million dollar product releases. They aren't preparing for investor calls or presenting earnings to the Street.

They're usually fat middle aged guys designing plays for games children play and watching a bunch of TV. My guess is there's a shit ton of jibber jabber and guy stuff going on. I know Hard Knocks isn't a good representation, but these guys aren't trying to land a rocket on the moon. So why, then, does it take even more of a commitment than NASA JPL guys have to make?

I run a pretty large org in our company. Have some team members that think they look the best because they work the longest hours. I personally just think they're the least intelligent and most inefficient.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 am What sky?

You do know what shitty of a shape this program is in right? I think Saturday's loss really proved how deep this program is in terms of issues.

I do think that Les is the right guy because he knows what he is doing from Sunday to Friday (Saturdays are a little eh for him, but a lot of games are won between Sunday and Friday)

A loss to a below average team is something that should not come as a surprise. But I'll say this, don't be surprised if Kansas gets an upset win or 2 this year. The talent in spots is there to do it.

The OL just sucks. It's that simple.
I meant for the last 10 or so seasons, not just the last week.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:58 am You can't scavenge for excuses for loosing to Coastal Carolina.
Exactly.

If we're not more talented than CCU with guys like Pooka, Herbert, Lee, etc, then we should just close up shop. I get that we don't have depth of talent...but neither do teams from the Sun Belt.

CC also has a first year head coach, a team that struggled in the mighty sun belt last year, was on the road, and had been displaced by weather.

Every single aspect of that situation should have favored us.

AND, that score was very representative of how the two teams played...it wasn't a fluke loss.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I didn't watch the game. Full disclosure. But from what I watched, at least offensively that was a terrible scheme and blocking by the O line.

Scheme wise it appeared they did not trust Stanley to make throws. He was facing stacked boxes all game long and had one on one opportunities on the outside for AP and Daylon. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to happen if you have seven guys and they have nine. Pooka was fighting for his life almost every single running play.

Does KU have better skill players. Yes, absolutely but that doesn't mean anything if the o-line can't protect or run block.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:58 am You can't scavenge for excuses for loosing to Coastal Carolina.
Exactly.

If we're not more talented than CCU with guys like Pooka, Herbert, Lee, etc, then we should just close up shop. I get that we don't have depth of talent...but neither do teams from the Sun Belt.

CC also has a first year head coach, a team that struggled in the mighty sun belt last year, was on the road, and had been displaced by weather.

AND, that score was very representative of how the two teams played...it wasn't a fluke loss.
Not sure who or what you are arguing against.

We simply don't have the horses to overcome bad coaching. That's what happened Saturday. There is a reason the advanced stats always have us ranked in the 100's. We were favored by a single score. At home.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm I didn't watch the game. Full disclosure. But from what I watched, at least offensively that was a terrible scheme and blocking by the O line.

Scheme wise it appeared they did not trust Stanley to make throws. He was facing stacked boxes all game long and had one on one opportunities on the outside for AP and Daylon. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to happen if you have seven guys and they have nine. Pooka was fighting for his life almost every single running play.

Does KU have better skill players. Yes, absolutely but that doesn't mean anything if the o-line can't protect or run block.
Skill players are a dime a dozen. NFL skill players come from everywhere. Depth in the trenches and coaching is where college programs separate themselves. That shit costs money.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:35 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm
Exactly.

Not sure who or what you are arguing against.

We simply don't have the horses to overcome bad coaching. That's what happened Saturday. There is a reason the advanced stats always have us ranked in the 100's. We were favored by a single score. At home.
Bad coaching is my point.

Miles should have been an upgrade over beaty.

If miles was who we thought he was, we win at home with this roster against a bottom half horizon league team.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Year 1, it’s not as simple as that.

Years 2 and beyond, yes that should be the case.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It is that simple...it's coastal carolina.

Now, you want to tell me loosing on the road at bc by say 10 isn't a bad thing and I'm all ears.

CC isn't coached by urb. Nothing they did looked impressive. This wasn't a lower ranked team that got a randy moss or a daunte culpepper. They probably finish in the bottom half of the horizon.

At the end of the day, we've played 2 games and they were both turds.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Keep in mind cc had a first year coach too...I know he was an assistant there, so there's more continuity, but it's still a HC change

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

No one is making excuses for the staff.

But to paint the hire and outlook as black and white over 1 game (or even 2) is out of character for you and goes against your self-stated cautious optimism about the hire.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'm not making any long term assumptions about the staff. I think it was still the right hire. I'm just not giving them any excuses about loosing to CC. It's a bad loss.

AND it erases any excuses about the dud against Indiana state. It wasn't first game jitters, or things that would get addressed before week 2, or we'd look better with pooka...nope we're THAT bad, that's who we are now.

We haven't seen ANYTHING to be excited about right now. So....yes....let's be patient. But that's optimism based entirely on hope...it'd be nice to have something tangible to see to think things are improving.