Beaty Fired:

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: Beaty Fired:

Post by holidaysmore »

CC was a bad loss. Hell, it was one of many. I didn't want to believe KU was that bad but they certainly are. That should have been apparent from the overall roster from the last three or four years.

I would say, behind the scenes things are improving. Larger staff. Analysts. Recruiting focus. Things that like. All of those moves that Long and Les demanded are cause for cautious optimism. On the field you can see flashes of improvement but that is going to be the longer and harder overall fix.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Here's some facts.

Les has been on campus for 9 months. Most of his staff for even less time than that. Things are still gelling and the staff as a whole (Coaches, recruiting ops, analysts) have been around for maybe 6 months total.

He's on a band-aid hire for OC. His main choice was hired away late in the hiring cycle and he couldn't get anyone away due to it being that late. This guy is someone who Les could hire away and would say "Yes sir" to Miles. He'll hire someone after the season is over that has a better offensive plan.

The defense has been really good at allowing only 14 ppg. Offenses are 6/23 on 3rd down against the defense. Secondary has been an obvious bright spot. And there has been some pressure on the QB, which is good to see.

The team has not been penalized often. 6 per game.

Les has been who I thought he would be on Saturdays. Lots of just plain observing on the sidelines, not interjecting too much during the game. Only talks to players in between series and is usually mild-mannered during those talks. Will have bone-head timeouts like we saw on Saturday. He'll mismanage a clock or two. But what he thrives in is the week leading up to the game. The motivation, the structure and the discipline.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too early to do any sort of determination of whether or not this is a good hire. In my eyes, he was a perfect hire at this time. He brought a big-boy mentality to this program. It will show in the building first before it shows on the field.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:47 am I'm not making any long term assumptions about the staff. I think it was still the right hire. I'm just not giving them any excuses about loosing to CC. It's a bad loss.

AND it erases any excuses about the dud against Indiana state. It wasn't first game jitters, or things that would get addressed before week 2, or we'd look better with pooka...nope we're THAT bad, that's who we are now.

We haven't seen ANYTHING to be excited about right now. So....yes....let's be patient. But that's optimism based entirely on hope...it'd be nice to have something tangible to see to think things are improving.
I'm hoping that next season or 2 we see Les's work on the defense really show out. Kind of like the 2004 season. Bad record, but you could feel that there was work being put in.

I don't expect to see anything tangible until next season save for the dollars being spent.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ever since Gill/Weis perfect storm, many have said this is a two-hire fix.

Beaty was not the first hire of the fix. So, I think the realistic expectation is for Les to be that first hire--clean stuff up, fix the behind the scenes part of the program first.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:22 am Ever since Gill/Weis perfect storm, many have said this is a two-hire fix.

Beaty was not the first hire of the fix. So, I think the realistic expectation is for Les to be that first hire--clean stuff up, fix the behind the scenes part of the program first.
Beaty was on track to be the first hire of the fix, then he went and screwed that up with his last 2 classes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 am

He's on a band-aid hire for OC. His main choice was hired away late in the hiring cycle and he couldn't get anyone away due to it being that late. This guy is someone who Les could hire away and would say "Yes sir" to Miles. He'll hire someone after the season is over that has a better offensive plan.

This is just an excuse. That's 100% on Miles.

And changing systems is a setback for any offense, but the alarming part is it doesn't seem like we even have a plan for getting the ball in our best skill position players' hands in ways that utilize their skills.

Again, I know it's early, but it seems like we thought Pooka was Jerome Bettis, and couldn't get Parchment or Charlot involved this week, and abandoned Herbert.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yep in-game adjustments should have been better.

That's where I'm curious if all these analysts (Who can't do any on-field coaching, just watch film and talk to coaches) have input on the offense last week and what worked best.

It's pretty obvious from articles written that the offense has been better in a multiple WR multiple RB offense.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 am

This is just an excuse. That's 100% on Miles.

And changing systems is a setback for any offense, but the alarming part is it doesn't seem like we even have a plan for getting the ball in our best skill position players' hands in ways that utilize their skills.

Again, I know it's early, but it seems like we thought Pooka was Jerome Bettis, and couldn't get Parchment or Charlot involved this week, and abandoned Herbert.
I agree 100-percent. At some point, the stupidity of the offensive alignment should have hit home. They need to work in some spread formations and incorporate some speed options or the whole thing comes crashing down. Les was confused and badly prepared Saturday. KU has some great athletes on offense playing the Harvard wing T. I was shocked and dismayed by the CC game. The defense held for the most part as the offense ran straight into run blitzes. No adjustments, horrible game plan against a team that was not Bolling Green.
Last edited by Sparko on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Let me add that ISU exposed KU’s flaws. CC played that Third quarter defensive scheme the whole game. Stanley can be pressured pretty easily into mistakes and KU tends to not adjust against stacked boxes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The fact that Kansas even has to rely on scheme and play calling to beat a crappy ass team called Coatal Carolina means that we are years away from fielding a good P5 team. We simply do not have a P5 caliber roster at all. A few good individual players but everyone has that.

Barf.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 pm The fact that Kansas even has to rely on scheme and play calling to beat a crappy ass team called Coatal Carolina means that we are years away from fielding a good P5 team. We simply do not have a P5 caliber roster at all. A few good individual players but everyone has that.

Barf.
Nah. There is a lot slimmer pickings for football talent. The elites have a lot of talent, but we are looking at coaching and isolation of play makers almost everywhere.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The offense looks completely different. Is Les not a stubborn cuss like Bill Self?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Tonight's game has me excited.

But also, even more upset about coastal carolina
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

My thought too. Should be 3-0. But it is Kansas football. It everything will go well all the time. Still nice to dominate a P5 opponent on the road.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Crazy
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

We were behind by 2 scores.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Giving credit where credit is due.......
Coaching Staff - Best turnaround by a coaching staff I have seen in a long time.
Broke a 48 game road losing streak against a P5 school a week after losing at home to a school that never beat a P5 team on the road.

Heart - No one gave up after down two scores early. I admit I pretty much did.

Ball security - Zero turnovers after the early Stanley interception and it looked like we were done.

Herbert - Beast. Nice to have thunder (Herbert) and lightning (Pooka).

Stanley - Gave negative KU fans (myself included) a - how ya like me now?!?!

Parchment - Talent showed. I like this kid. If I am not mistaken, before this season he had 1 college reception. He helped Stanley gain confidence last night and deserves credit for it.

Prox - "Only" 10 tackles but made his presence felt on a hell of a lot of plays.

Jones - Perfect. 6/6 XP 2/2 FG

P.S. I am going to the Northwestern game today with a B.C. alum and his kids.
Can't begin to tell you how nice it will be to wear a KU Football shirt and be proud of it. "It" being KU Football. It's been a long time.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Sweet win but damn it makes the Coastal game so much harder to fathom. I had a family event in Lawrence to attend on Aug. 31st. Pulled a power move and stayed at Oread for the weekend. Didn't go to the game but hung out there and it was off the chain fun. Actually have a relative that attends KU and went to the game. Ran into him Sat night and he was hoarse from yelling at the game. Talked to him about the students and their thoughts. He is a senior so he was so pessimistic. Said the students want to be excited but all they know is they suck. That was a big win last night. We can beat WVA.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:54 am Sweet win but damn it makes the Coastal game so much harder to fathom. I had a family event in Lawrence to attend on Aug. 31st. Pulled a power move and stayed at Oread for the weekend. Didn't go to the game but hung out there and it was off the chain fun. Actually have a relative that attends KU and went to the game. Ran into him Sat night and he was hoarse from yelling at the game. Talked to him about the students and their thoughts. He is a senior so he was so pessimistic. Said the students want to be excited but all they know is they suck. That was a big win last night. We can beat WVA.
Agree it makes the Coastal Carolina game all the more frustrating. Because WVU would be 4, and then who the hell knows. Stranger things and all that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Indeed.

Odds were that we would be 2-1 after 3, and obviously we'd rather have the BC win, but 3-0 would have had the program as one of the top stories in the country.