Beaty Fired:

Kansas Football.
HouseDivided

Re: Beaty Fired:

Post by HouseDivided »

shindig wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:25 am Not a fan of Les Miles. I just don't see him really putting much effort into re-building the mess that is KU football. We need a coach that is already connected to KU. Doeren or Leavitt.
Doeren's buyout is prohibitive, he is doing well at NC State, and, as someone stated earlier, he is (rightly) still pissed about how he was treated the last two times the job opened up.

My guess is that Leavitt has already gotten a call from K-State telling him not to take any other jobs because Snyder is done in three weeks.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
shindig

Post by shindig »

For boosters like Booth, Doeren's buyout is probably considered loose change.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

shindig wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am Sounds like Doeren is out. Isn't happy he was passed over for Weiss and wasn't even contacted when they hired Beaty. I tell you SZ should be forced to come back to KU and apologize for the mess he has created.
Doeren is not out. He understands that he was passed over by a previous administration. The difference is that he's already got a recruiting pipeline set up at NC State. Why would he even consider leaving now? Maybe Booth money can convince him.

If SZ comes back, someone please notify Leawood first. He might want to meet him at the airport.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:04 am
shindig wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am Sounds like Doeren is out. Isn't happy he was passed over for Weiss and wasn't even contacted when they hired Beaty. I tell you SZ should be forced to come back to KU and apologize for the mess he has created.
Doeren is not out. He understands that he was passed over by a previous administration. The difference is that he's already got a recruiting pipeline set up at NC State. Why would he even consider leaving now? Maybe Booth money can convince him.
Agree with this. Previous administration screwed Doeren over. Long is a different cat with this stuff. The only downfall with Doeren compared to Miles, is that I think Long wants a guy to start really soon maybe before the season ends to get started on recruiting. NC State will be in a bowl game and Doeren has a $6M buyout.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

New name that JayhawkSlant added this morning - Jim McElwain. I'm not that much against it. Did well at Colorado State and Florida before things hit the fan there in year 3 because it was a weird fit from the start. Still not in my top 5, but a good name.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

From the comments:

"There might be a concrete ceiling at NC State
but that’s better than the concrete shoes you wear at Kansas."
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

pdub wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:37 am From the comments:

"There might be a concrete ceiling at NC State
but that’s better than the concrete shoes you wear at Kansas."
The balance of the comments section seems to indicate that people in North Carolina think that corn is a big thing in Kansas.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Bruce Feldman (Who knows his stuff) is reporting that there is a ton of momentum for Les Miles at KU and that he is a definite front runner.

Now guys, I get he's 64 or whatever and all that, but this would absolutely be a homerun in terms of KU football. 16 years as a collegiate head coach. 141-55. Would hopefully retain Hull to maintain the Louisiana pipeline.

I think this is a very likely possibility..

Say both KU and kstate hire coaches soon. KU gets Miles, kstate gets Leavitt. Miles is 64, Leavitt is 61. Who would have the better coach leading the program? I say Miles at KU.

LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

If we just didn't show up to any of the games over the last 4 years, we'd only have 6 losses less than we have now. I'll take 3-4 years of Miles rebuilding the program over that.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I can't just get over the notion of why would Les Miles even want the KU job. It's a dumpster fire. The worst program in the P5 for over a decade. This just reeks of Charlie Weiss and his money grab.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

shindig wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 pm I can't just get over the notion of why would Les Miles even want the KU job. It's a dumpster fire. The worst program in the P5 for over a decade. This just reeks of Charlie Weiss and his money grab.
Valid question. 64 is pretty late in life to want to take on a resurrection project, and he is pretty much set for life with his LSU buyout money. My guess is that we'll end up with one of the younger guys - the one from Troy or from North Texas.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:40 pm
shindig wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 pm I can't just get over the notion of why would Les Miles even want the KU job. It's a dumpster fire. The worst program in the P5 for over a decade. This just reeks of Charlie Weiss and his money grab.
Valid question. 64 is pretty late in life to want to take on a resurrection project, and he is pretty much set for life with his LSU buyout money. My guess is that we'll end up with one of the younger guys - the one from Troy or from North Texas.
Jeff Long is the answer to why. Worked under each other at Michigan. And Long about got him from LSU to Arkansas a while back. Long works wonders in hiring coaches.

Expectations are next to nothing here, nowhere to go but up. And what's an extra $3.5M or so per year? Nice bit of change.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The point is valid, though. But kstate fans are all about Leavitt and there are only 3 years separating those two coaches.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

He has a great relationship with Long. He really wants to get back into college football. Other then that I have no idea why Miles would come to KU.

Some of the stuff behind the scenes that Long has done and is doing as far as getting more money for assistant coaches and increasing the staff count would certainly help but coming to KU is going to be a GRIND.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Miles has the wrong offensive mindset for the Big 12
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:15 pm He has a great relationship with Long. He really wants to get back into college football. Other then that I have no idea why Miles would come to KU.

Some of the stuff behind the scenes that Long has done and is doing as far as getting more money for assistant coaches and increasing the staff count would certainly help but coming to KU is going to be a GRIND.
If you're 64 and have a NC in handful of BCS bowl games and the primary criticism is that you inherited a title contender built by Saban, maybe the thing you want to prove is that you can build a team and that his success at OSU and LSU were not a fluke.

I mean, making KU relevant would be the ultimate proof that you can coach.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:25 pm Miles has the wrong offensive mindset for the Big 12
His QBs were never good enough to do anything more than I formations and play conservatively. JaMarcus Russell and Matt Flynn were his 2 best guys. Maybe he can get a good OC to go along with a Whittemore/Reesing type of smaller QB and things can be done.

But good defense is kind of a good thing in the Big 12 the last 5 years with kstate and Iowa State success. Not flashy offenses, but pretty good defenses that always can give other team fits.

Beaty had the Big 12 offensive mindset. Worked out really well at this program huh?

Reminds me of the movie Moneyball with the talk about trying to match the Yankees. Basically the runt of the litter dies. The Big 12 and Air Raid are the litter. KU is the runt. The program is dying. If you try to play like OU in your offense, you will lose to OU out there.

Change it up a bit and see where that goes.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:35 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:15 pm He has a great relationship with Long. He really wants to get back into college football. Other then that I have no idea why Miles would come to KU.

If you're 64 and have a NC in handful of BCS bowl games and the primary criticism is that you inherited a title contender built by Saban, maybe the thing you want to prove is that you can build a team and that his success at OSU and LSU were not a fluke.

I mean, making KU relevant would be the ultimate proof that you can coach.
^^^^^^
there might not be anything that would prove coaching chops more