Beaty Fired:

Kansas Football.
noosh

Re: Beaty Fired:

Post by noosh »

I think it's pretty cool how shitty we are in fball. I'd rather be on the extremes of this distribution than squarely in the middle. Ppl actually know and talk about Kansas football. That's pretty cool when you think about it. Would rather be us than like Mizzou or Arkansas or Arizona or Wake Forest of any other (recent) historically average program.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yeah, nice try.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:16 am
I tried to warn everybody that Les has his moments of stupidity when it comes to TO usage and gameday management.

But Les is here for the day-to-day improvements and what happens during the week.

Saturday's he'll struggle in tough situations.
Some of the Tiger fans thought that Les Miles had a stroke during the last years of his time at LSU. From the recent video of him, seems possible that they were correct.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Plenty of people who have had strokes can still function extremely well.
Stroke or not, my concern is how well he recruits, instructs during practices, and coaches during games.
So far (and it's very early) the jury is still out and it's not looking so great - as of this moment.
I am assuming I'm not the only one who feels Les appeared to be completely lost during the U.C.C. game. Sort of in a daze/haze. I also assume the powers that be at KU noticed as well. Les is still coaching so apparently those who have a say feel he's competent to continue to coach.
I still question why every school that had a coaching vacancy passed on trying to hire Les.
What did/didn't they see that KU did/didn't?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I had heard a rumor that Les may have early onset of dementia. Save for the last five minutes of the fourth I didn't watch the game last Saturday's game but the more I am hearing the more it sounds like Les just may not have it all there. Perhaps it comes and it goes but that is a scary proposition for both Les, his family and this football program who essentially went all in on Les to build this program back up.

As KU fans we have to remain grounded. This was going to be a long haul back up the mountain and CC was a tremendous set back but the long term picture still has to be the play.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think he's got just got issues like some do with age. And I honestly don't think he does all that well in the spotlight and in those conferences. He likes to be guarded with answers, and he does a lot of thinking before he talks.

But from the behind the scenes footage (Walk-on getting scholarship, ESPN+ show and the E60 special) he has fire and when in between the lines and in a meeting room in front of 100 18-22 year olds, he seems to do just fine.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 am Plenty of people who have had strokes can still function extremely well.
Stroke or not, my concern is how well he recruits, instructs during practices, and coaches during games.
So far (and it's very early) the jury is still out and it's not looking so great - as of this moment.
I am assuming I'm not the only one who feels Les appeared to be completely lost during the U.C.C. game. Sort of in a daze/haze. I also assume the powers that be at KU noticed as well. Les is still coaching so apparently those who have a say feel he's competent to continue to coach.
I still question why every school that had a coaching vacancy passed on trying to hire Les.
What did/didn't they see that KU did/didn't?
Take it for what it's worth, but Les mentioned that he had opportunities and interviewed at numerous places, he just didn't like the fit. The only reason why he is here is because of Long. If it was any other AD, he wouldn't be here.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Les is fine.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

buncha chicken littles
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:55 am buncha chicken littles
Well... our sky did sort cave in.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

What sky?

You do know what shitty of a shape this program is in right? I think Saturday's loss really proved how deep this program is in terms of issues.

I do think that Les is the right guy because he knows what he is doing from Sunday to Friday (Saturdays are a little eh for him, but a lot of games are won between Sunday and Friday)

A loss to a below average team is something that should not come as a surprise. But I'll say this, don't be surprised if Kansas gets an upset win or 2 this year. The talent in spots is there to do it.

The OL just sucks. It's that simple.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:39 amLes is fine.
Yep.

No one should fall for seahawk's ugliness.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I would think before any organization hires a CEO for millions of dollars in salary, that potential CEO has to undergo a myriad of medical tests.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 am What sky?

You do know what shitty of a shape this program is in right? I think Saturday's loss really proved how deep this program is in terms of issues.

I do think that Les is the right guy because he knows what he is doing from Sunday to Friday (Saturdays are a little eh for him, but a lot of games are won between Sunday and Friday)

A loss to a below average team is something that should not come as a surprise. But I'll say this, don't be surprised if Kansas gets an upset win or 2 this year. The talent in spots is there to do it.

The OL just sucks. It's that simple.
I was one of the most cautious and conservative posters on this website about this team. I certainly was not someone with unrealistic expectations of this season.

but...we're more talented, by a pretty big margin than CC
We (all assumed) had better coaching than CC
We were at home coming off a win, playing a team who was displaced from home due to weather.

This loss was surprising. Especially how it happened. It's not like they had some QB who went off, or we had 5 TO's in the redzone, and they took 2 of them to the house....they just beat us, because they were the better team.

I was ready to loose any of the remaining games on our schedule, I certainly wasn't thinking we'd loose to CC, not in the context of what was happening.

This team is worse than I thought, and (I know it's very very early) they don't seem to have gotten any better than under beaty.

I think you're right that they can right the ship, and might have an upset win or two...but two weeks into the season and we're worse than I thought we'd be and I thought we were a 2-3 win team, and I was hoping for 4.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't know about more talented by a margin than CC.

I felt I was pretty vocal this summer about this team being a 2-win team and actually lost too many important pieces from last year's squad. We are so thin.

Week 1 did nothing to change my expectations after seeing a unit (the O-Line) that I thought would be a team strength look dreadful against FCS.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Agreed on all levels. I thought the OL would be better. Stanley seemed to have forgotten how to run. That was mentioned on multiple podcasts and articles. He seemed to choose passing and risking a TO instead of running for 8-10 yards and a possible 1st down.

Stanley has to be better and the OL HAS to be better. Pooka broke numerous tackles Saturday, but they were all in the backfield before he could get much going. That right side of the line is awful. Just atrocious.

Stanley has to look for Parchment and Charlot. No reason they should have been as irrelevant as they were.

Miles and Koenning better listen to those offensive analysts they hired. They did really well in 2 RB sets with Herbert and Pooka. Got like 13 yards per play. There should be no reason they can't make the default offensive set be 2 RB, 1 TE and 2 WR. That lineup could do some damage.

I will say this about Koenning. I think he's a band-aid hire at OC. Since it was fairly late in the process Chip Lindsey got pulled away, Miles had to hire someone kind of quick. I don't think Koenning will be here after this season. Les will do a long look at himself and the program and hire someone who has a more diverse offense. Granted, Les will still have his say, but I think with Koenning, he's being a yes-sir guy to Miles that he really hasn't installed his offense. I think Les will get someone in here that will install a different type of offense that better suits the talent here (Which is in the RB and WR rooms)

I predicted a 4 win Kansas team this year, hopeful for 5.

They are now a 3-win team at best. They just need to keep building for the future and keep going after HS kids to build this program.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Granted, I was not able to watch the CC game, but from what I gather from reading and watching week 1, Koenning and Miles are running the wrong scheme for the personnel. Running Pooka time after time in the 1-4 gaps is a pretty bad understanding of what you got.

Something Newton is absolutely right on and not sunshine pumping is that Les (and Long and Vollmer) have changed the culture inside. We needed to get serious and spend money, and seems we are doing that. Bigger staff, bigger budget. I will take Miles's game day rebuilding pains if it means we can finally run a good ship with lots of good, um, seamen.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:11 am Granted, I was not able to watch the CC game, but from what I gather from reading and watching week 1, Koenning and Miles are running the wrong scheme for the personnel. Running Pooka time after time in the 1-4 gaps is a pretty bad understanding of what you got.

Something Newton is absolutely right on and not sunshine pumping is that Les (and Long and Vollmer) have changed the culture inside. We needed to get serious and spend money, and seems we are doing that. Bigger staff, bigger budget. I will take Miles's game day rebuilding pains if it means we can finally run a good ship with lots of good, um, seamen.
Spot on about the offensive scheme. Pooka is not Riggins. KU did not take advantage of its strengths. Meanwhile CC ran Andy Reid plays.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:11 am Granted, I was not able to watch the CC game, but from what I gather from reading and watching week 1, Koenning and Miles are running the wrong scheme for the personnel. Running Pooka time after time in the 1-4 gaps is a pretty bad understanding of what you got.

Exactly. Miles and Koenning treated him like Fournette running through the middle at LSU compared to getting him out on the edge.

But yes, my behind the scenes take is far from homerism and sunshine pumping. The program is changing in ways that very little outside of the program can see. I mean even little things like player appearances in team meetings have gotten focused on.

Long and Miles are treating Kansas like a top tier program with the staffing, budgets, social media stuff and overall feeling in the program with players and coaches. Now the on-field results aren't there yet, but they will get there and I don't think it's a matter of it, I think it's a matter of when.

Miles and Long are not saying "Same ol Kansas, we'll do it by being the underdog and understaffed and just plain work harder than everyone else" They are out there working hard while having a larger budget and a larger national presence with the ESPN+ show and other various articles written about the program from ESPN to Sports Illustrated to others.

I mean, on the 2nd episode of Miles To Go, it was proven just how little Kansas appreciated football, they had one recruiting guy. When Miles first got on board, he asked who was in charge of what, and Tyler Olker, the head of recruiting operations said it was him and a few student helpers. Miles was beside himself and now they have about 4 people full-time in recruiting operations.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You can't scavenge for excuses for loosing to Coastal Carolina.