Voting Today

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

Re: Voting Today

Post by dolomite »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:03 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:38 pm Dems doing well in red state KY so far.
Kansas is doing the same. Some surprise results, still a bit early though. But Kansas is split almost 50/50 it seems.
Kansas is rightly repudiating shitheads.

Unfortunately for the rest of, Trump will be looking to refill a cabinet over the next couple of weeks, and Kobach is looking for work.
A much better job, from my point of view. Too much to fix in the wheat state.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Gutter wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 am What a fucked up country I live in. Or at least what a fucked up polling place I went to vote at.
Shortest version as possible for me.....
I get there ready to show ID. Was told to get in line and fill out a piece of paper with my name, address, and signature. I did. I was then given a ballot without having to show an ID.
I voted. I turned in my ballot. I went to ask the gentleman who had originally handed me the clipboard with the sheet of paper I filled out - a question. As I am asking him, he hands me another clipboard with a blank piece of paper to fill out my name, address, and signature. WTF!!!!! I said to him that I just voted and he handed me one less than 10 minutes ago. I then asked him what is the reason I DON'T need to show an ID to vote. His exact response was, "Cause you in the system". I explained to him so is Bill Smith, Tom Johnson, and Mark Jones and how do you know I am who I say I am? He was baffled. Looked at me like I asked him how to perform brain surgery step by step. I then said, "And you were just ready to give me another form to fill out so I could vote again under a different name if I so choose to do". He was so flustered that I think he was about to cry and/or have a heart attack.
He told me I had to ask the woman who was sitting nearby. She said, "It's because it costs money." Clueless me didn't understand at first but put two and two to together and said that I now understood it costs money to obtain a state ID. She then said, "It would be discrimination to ask for ID". That kind of blew my mind.
I want to know why we (the state and/or federal government) can't figure out a way to have people obtain legal IDs who can't afford them and why we feel it's ok to let people vote without identification.
Wow.

....I'm sure everyone is as honest as you and only votes once..... (*sarcasm font*)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:35 am

Wow.

....I'm sure everyone is as honest as you and only votes once..... (*sarcasm font*)
Like I said, they have lists of voters who are allowed to vote at each polling location and they can do as our spot did and ask you your name and a validation of your address and then have you sign the box next to that. Then if you come back to vote again, hey look, there is already a signature there on your line. It appears that you have already voted. Good day to you, sir.

It's really not complicated. Nor should it be. And that's the point.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Gutter, volunteer at a polling site. It is a nice thing to do. The back of my voter registration card tells me who to contact to volunteer.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

California passed permanent daylight savings time. Woo hoo!! No more getting dark at 5 pm.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Aren't the Feds going to have to approve that?
Deleted User 104

defixione wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:18 pm Aren't the Feds going to have to approve that?
Have the feds stopped California from selling weed?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Dunno. Just heard on NPR that the DST has to be approved by the Feds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I think Arizona already has that. I know they don't change their clocks. Not sure if it's permanent DST or Standard.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 104

defixione wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:33 pm Dunno. Just heard on NPR that the DST has to be approved by the Feds.
California for better or worse, is pretty much its own country at this point. They also recently passed a net neutrality law of their own that Trump is pissed off about. California does do some very important things to protect our freedom. I say this cautiously as they obviously get carried away.
Deleted User 104

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:35 pm I think Arizona already has that. I know they don't change their clocks. Not sure if it's permanent DST or Standard.
I think all states should have it. Why would anyone want there to be more darkness in the early evening?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

lobster wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:42 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:35 pm I think Arizona already has that. I know they don't change their clocks. Not sure if it's permanent DST or Standard.
I think all states should have it. Why would anyone want there to be more darkness in the early evening?
Farmers who get up early
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I heard it was so kids didn’t have to go to school in the dark.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I thought the guy who invented it was just spitballing excuses for being late to work?

boss: you were supposed to be here an hour ago!

guy: well actually...