Voting Today

Ugh.
jhawks99
Contributor

Voting Today

Post by jhawks99 »

In line at 7 in Kentucky. Long lines. Mostly women. Pretty diverse crowd.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 183

Re: Voting Today

Post by Deleted User 183 »

99 - No Gubernatorial nor Senatorial election/s in Kentucky today. People still getting out to vote for Representatives is a good thing. Barr / McGrath is going to be interesting.

Several times I have been the first voter at my polling place/s. Today I figure I will be one of the first 25.
I vote in what I feel is probably a mostly conservative polling place when it comes to 45 and over and mostly liberal when it comes to 35 and under.
I would be very interested to know the actual results of my polling place - which is very convenient - across the street from where I live.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"Eighty percent of life is showing up."

Thanks to you guys for showing up.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

What a fucked up country I live in. Or at least what a fucked up polling place I went to vote at.
Shortest version as possible for me.....
I get there ready to show ID. Was told to get in line and fill out a piece of paper with my name, address, and signature. I did. I was then given a ballot without having to show an ID.
I voted. I turned in my ballot. I went to ask the gentleman who had originally handed me the clipboard with the sheet of paper I filled out - a question. As I am asking him, he hands me another clipboard with a blank piece of paper to fill out my name, address, and signature. WTF!!!!! I said to him that I just voted and he handed me one less than 10 minutes ago. I then asked him what is the reason I DON'T need to show an ID to vote. His exact response was, "Cause you in the system". I explained to him so is Bill Smith, Tom Johnson, and Mark Jones and how do you know I am who I say I am? He was baffled. Looked at me like I asked him how to perform brain surgery step by step. I then said, "And you were just ready to give me another form to fill out so I could vote again under a different name if I so choose to do". He was so flustered that I think he was about to cry and/or have a heart attack.
He told me I had to ask the woman who was sitting nearby. She said, "It's because it costs money." Clueless me didn't understand at first but put two and two to together and said that I now understood it costs money to obtain a state ID. She then said, "It would be discrimination to ask for ID". That kind of blew my mind.
I want to know why we (the state and/or federal government) can't figure out a way to have people obtain legal IDs who can't afford them and why we feel it's ok to let people vote without identification.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Gutter wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 am What a fucked up country I live in. Or at least what a fucked up polling place I went to vote at.
I get there ready to show ID. Was told to get in line and fill out a piece of paper with my name, address, and signature. I did. I was then given a ballot without having to show an ID.
I voted. I turned in my ballot. I went to ask the gentleman who had originally handed me the clipboard with the sheet of paper I filled out - a question. As I am asking him, he hands me another clipboard with a blank piece of paper to fill out my name, address, and signature. WTF!!!!! I said to him that I just voted and he handed me one less than 10 minutes ago. I then asked him what is the reason I DON'T need to show an ID to vote. His exact response was, "Cause you in the system". I explained to him so is Bill Smith, Tom Johnson, and Mark Jones and how do you know I am who I say I am? He was baffled. Looked at me like I asked him how to perform brain surgery step by step. I then said, "And you were just ready to give me another form to fill out so I could vote again under a different name if I so choose to do". He was so flustered that I think he was about to cry and/or have a heart attack.
He told me I had to ask the woman who was sitting nearby. She said, "It's because it costs money." Clueless me didn't understand at first but put two and two to together and said that I now understood it costs money to obtain a state ID. She then said, "It would be discrimination to ask for ID". That kind of blew my mind.
I want to know why we (the state and/or federal government) can't figure out a way to have people obtain legal IDs who can't afford them and why we feel it's ok to let people vote without identification.
That is the kind of stuff that makes conspiracy buffs like me even more paranoid. Inexcusable.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Is this the first time you've ever voted?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

A. Gutter is clearly a racist who wants to suppress voter turnout.

and

B. Chicago. I mean...come on.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
shindig

Post by shindig »

I voted. Took almost an hour. Line wrapped around the parking lot, so glad I brought my coffee. Guy in front of me smoked probably a half pack of Marlboros while waiting, so now I reek of cigarette smoke.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Walked in at 7:24. Started voting by 7:25. In my car at 7:30. Easy process and a fairly small ballot this year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Our ballot was four pages of stuff. Pretty long. Lots of judges running unopposed.
Defense. Rebounds.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Gutter wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 am What a fucked up country I live in. Or at least what a fucked up polling place I went to vote at.
I just finished voting, and my experience was almost comically the opposite of yours. I live in a small Kansas farming community, so the lines were short. I walked up to the registration table and the woman at the desk, who is a member of my church, looked up, smiled, and said "Good morning, (my first name). Ready to vote?"

After I responded in the affirmative, the exchange went thusly:

Her: "First and last name, Sir?"
Me: (My first and last names)
Her: Please spell your last name.
Me: (Spelling last name)
Her: Current street address?
Me: (My address)
Her: May I see a photo ID, please?
Me: (Hands over Driver's License)
Her: (After inspecting it thoroughly) "Thank you, Sir. You may take your ballot to the balloting area and return it when finished."
Me: Thanks.
Her: See you Sunday!

LOL. No cracks for fraud to sneak in through here.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 am
I just finished voting, and my experience was almost comically the opposite of yours. I live in a small Kansas farming community, so the lines were short. I walked up to the registration table and the woman at the desk, who is a member of my church, looked up, smiled, and said "Good morning, (my first name). Ready to vote?"

Her: (After inspecting it thoroughly) "Thank you, Sir. You may take your ballot to the balloting area and return it when finished."

So she called you by your first name when you first came in. Then thanked you as "sir" after filling out paperwork?

Interesting.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:07 am
HouseDivided wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 am

So she called you by your first name when you first came in. Then thanked you as "sir" after filling out paperwork?

Interesting.
Very formal. Made me chuckle.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Polling location opened at 8am. Got in line at 7:52am. Done by 8:15am. Asked for name and confirmation of address. Signed on my spot in roster so noone else can vote again as me. No problems at all.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Took me three minutes. Governer Rauner was there casting his vote. Lotta media there.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

In Kentucky, they will take any ID with a picture. They also included SS card as valid ID, which does not have a picture.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

How is it legal to require a picture id? You don't need one for a mail-in ballot, which is most likely where most fraud comes from (filling ballots in for family members who don't vote)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

They the list of accepted IDs was pretty large. DL, state issued card, SS card, several other IDs that I don't remember, or anything with a picture and name on it. I think they would take a utility bill with your address.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 am They the list of accepted IDs was pretty large. DL, state issued card, SS card, several other IDs that I don't remember, or anything with a picture and name on it. I think they would take a utility bill with your address.
I was not asked to show any ID at all. I guess they only require it in places where lots of Dems might vote...
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:33 am In Kentucky, they will take any ID with a picture. They also included SS card as valid ID, which does not have a picture.
I don't know how to break this to you, 99, but CNN thinks you committed voter fraud.

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto