Rupp Rafters Meltdown

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Rupp Rafters Meltdown

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:12 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:07 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:02 pm I know I am in the minority but I don't dislike Cal as a person. I don't respect some things he has (and hasn't) done but he's always been kind and respectful to me.
Meanwhile, I think UK has to let Cal go or Cal has to walk away if UK doesn't win two or more games in the tournament.
3 consecutive seasons of major disappointment doesn't (or shouldn't) cut it at UK. Especially when the coach is getting paid about 9 million a season - to suck.
The question is where does he go from UK? I predict the NBA.
This is to jfish's point and post, you'd be pretty foolish to use Self as the measuring stick. But, we're talking UK here where the slightest hint of a slide is not acceptable.

But again, I think they'd be pretty dumb to get rid of him. Would hope that blows up in their face like firing Tubby did.
What's a bit ironic is that, if you decide to stay the course with Cal (which I think, on the balance, UK should)...it would be because you trust in Cal's coaching chops.
Or because it is too expensive to get out from under his contract at this time.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:48 pm Calipari is 63 years old. I don't think getting rid of him is the best option for them, but preparing for a predecessor should be on UKs mind.
Every athletic director on the planet has an internal "who would I go after if our guy abruptly retires" list. Outside of that, I don't know what other prep work there is to do.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:48 pm Calipari is 63 years old. I don't think getting rid of him is the best option for them, but preparing for a predecessor should be on UKs mind.
Or better yet a successor. His predecessors did okay.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

minus an absolute collapse of the program. jcalipari has earned the right to stay or go on his terms.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:18 pm minus an absolute collapse of the program. jcalipari has earned the right to stay or go on his terms.
I would say he's earned what he's negotiated.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

While I dunno if I could say I like Cal, I’m maybe at least a little less love-to-hate Cal than I was like 10 years ago, now that he’s looked much more mortal since.

Pretty sure he and Dook have the top 2 incoming recruit classes, once again. It’ll be interesting to see how long Scheyer can keep that up, especially if he turns out to be not a successful coach.

(Or if the ncaa ever finally decides to make him some sacrificial lamb for the whole Zion fiasco)
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:07 pm
Every athletic director on the planet has an internal "who would I go after if our guy abruptly retires" list. Outside of that, I don't know what other prep work there is to do.
It depends how you want to do it.

UNC and Duke prepped their next head coaches for YEARS.
Deleted User 863

Sparko wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:17 pm
Or better yet a successor. His predecessors did okay.
Yes LOL. Successor.

Is it Monday?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:40 pmPretty sure he and Dook have the top 2 incoming recruit classes, once again.
I'm thinking that this is starting to matter less. Closer to how it was in the 90's. Returning players and incoming transfers look like they might be the formula now.

And, maybe it's just a down season, but earlier this month Katz ranked Dick the 2nd best frosh in the country. Think about that in terms of where he's going to end up in the all league team race.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:42 pm

And they're still left with the same amount of questions and uncertainty.

Probably even more than if they would have hired a known commodity. Like UCLA did recently and KU did after Roy left.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How long did UNC prep Dougherty or whatever? Or are we counting Dean’s meddling as part of UNC prepping roi?

And I guess K hand picked his successor or whatever, an alum who was in the program as his successor. Tough act to follow either way. It seems like it might almost have to be such a guy, versus some known commodity.

And who was it who suggested a while back that were already grooming Jeremy Case or Face Ass?
Deleted User 863

It's hard to hire at places like Duke and Kansas.

Not a task I'd want to face.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:57 pm How long did UNC prep Dougherty or whatever? Or are we counting Dean’s meddling as part of UNC prepping roi?

And I guess K hand picked his successor or whatever, an alum who was in the program as his successor. Tough act to follow either way. It seems like it might almost have to be such a guy, versus some known commodity.

And who was it who suggested a while back that were already grooming Jeremy Case or Face Ass?
UNC didn't prep Doherty, Roy did that at KU. You might be thinking of Guthridge.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

(looks at standings and sees neither team ranked, Carolina 4th in the ACC and Duke 7th)

Maybe they should have just hired the best available person instead of their "groomed" successor?

Cal has been at UK for years and has had a number of capable assistants if UK is dumb enough to go that route.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If UK were to fire Cal, they wouldn't look any further than Nate Oats (unproven) and Scott Drew (sucks).
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:17 pm

(looks at standings and sees neither team ranked, Carolina 4th in the ACC and Duke 7th)

Maybe they should have just hired the best available person instead of their "groomed" successor?

Cal has been at UK for years and has had a number of capable assistants if UK is dumb enough to go that route.
Lulz.

UNC just went to the national title game. Duke recruiting is on fire and their team will get better as their players become more experienced.

Stop playing like UNC and Duke hires are failing. They're not.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:24 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:17 pm

Lulz.

UNC just went to the national title game. Duke recruiting is on fire and their team will get better as their players become more experienced.

Stop playing like UNC and Duke hires are failing. They're not.
We'll see.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 pm If UK were to fire Cal, they wouldn't look any further than Nate Oats (unproven) and Scott Drew (sucks).
The list of people who have "proven it" at a level worthy of Kentucky are Bill Self and Tom Izzo. That's pretty much it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:35 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 pm If UK were to fire Cal, they wouldn't look any further than Nate Oats (unproven) and Scott Drew (sucks).
The list of people who have "proven it" at a level worthy of Kentucky are Bill Self and Tom Izzo. That's pretty much it.
Well I think KU fans would also call Oats unproven if our job was to suddenly open up tomorrow, but I agree that UK fans' expectations will be quite high. They know like 5-7 guys won't make moves, and that kind of does leave Oats near the top, but it's a tad underwhelming for the blueblood. I think Sampson could be the 2nd best coach in the country right now, but he's too old.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:45 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:35 pm
Well I think KU fans would also call Oats unproven if our job was to suddenly open up tomorrow, but I agree that UK fans' expectations will be quite high. They know like 5-7 guys won't make moves, and that kind of does leave Oats near the top, but it's a tad underwhelming for the blueblood. I think Sampson could be the 2nd best coach in the country right now, but he's too old.
I'd think Kentucky would in fact hire Oats.

OR.

It would hire Beard, and just deal with the firestorm until it burns itself out.